When can we work

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
What's everyone thinking about the working week, the rumour of this 4day working week for everyone starting to bug you?

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

What's everyone thinking about the working week, the rumour of this 4day working week for everyone starting to bug you?
Been talking about this a lot last week here ..
We really noticing traffic on Fridays....quieter first thing but come late morning it's mental with the holiday crowd ..would like to see stats but deffo seems Friday is the day off...

Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
If you want a response from any government organisation you are wasting your time on Fridays or Mondays from my experience .

D

DaveDCB

The self employed will just be battered again with this!! Maybe that’s the plan?

But also who remembers most shops used to shut on a Wednesday either all day or half day?

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
The self employed will just be battered again with this!! Maybe that’s the plan?

But also who remembers most shops used to shut on a Wednesday either all day or half day?
Thursday afternoon in Aber. ... was like a ghost town ... just like Sundays used to be :rolleyes:

I could understand ppl wanting more 'leisure' time, if they were prepared to put in the hours on the other four days and actually earn their wage, but most just expect to be paid for turning up 9 'til 5 .. heaven forbid actually having to do something and fit a full week into four days ..... present company excepted and most self employed, most don't know they're bloody born

hiluxman

hiluxman

I don't watch news on TV so I'm assuming that's where this is coming from?

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
I don't watch news on TV so I'm assuming that's where this is coming from?
I haven't really seen it on the news or social media, a few of our customers say they are trying to get themselves aligned for it in case it happens.
I don't know how they think it'll go that far but they are already investing towards it 😕

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
I suppose the question is will it be the same hours in less days or just less hours per week

craig

craig

Been talking about this a lot last week here ..
We really noticing traffic on Fridays....quieter first thing but come late morning it's mental with the holiday crowd ..would like to see stats but deffo seems Friday is the day off...
Noticed the same on the A55, the Friday madness seems to be getting earlier.
Although the last two Fridays, I`ve been further away than I like on a Friday, for hire collections, Heathrow, and Colchester and had a lot better run back than I imagined.

S

Smiffy

I suppose the question is will it be the same hours in less days or just less hours per week
It's all an underhand trick I reckon. If they limit the hours people can work then more people have to be employed and will look good for the unemployment rates without actually creating any more jobs

Noticed the same on the A55, the Friday madness seems to be getting earlier.
Although the last two Fridays, I`ve been further away than I like on a Friday, for hire collections, Heathrow, and Colchester and had a lot better run back than I imagined.
Friday evening is fine. Thursday afternoon has been awful for years

C

charlie2

shops in my home town used to shut thursday mid day. i always thought it was because of saturday opening was all day so staff did a five and a half day week now most are open seven days but the town seems deserted now, wednesday was market day back in the 60/70s a proper market even livestock most weeks the town was rammed. now the market is just tat stalls with a couple fruit and veg stalls.

S

Smiffy

shops in my home town used to shut thursday mid day. i always thought it was because of saturday opening was all day so staff did a five and a half day week now most are open seven days but the town seems deserted now, wednesday was market day back in the 60/70s a proper market even livestock most weeks the town was rammed. now the market is just tat stalls with a couple fruit and veg stalls.

But no one has the time off to make use of them and the low volume sales lead to high prices. I love going to the French markets but all we get here are "artisan " markets. Some nice produce but far from affordable. And enough gin stands to have a different one every day of the year.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
ditto, but Thursday afternoon ..
Aber market was regarded as one of the best in the area ... (y)
livestock and general on a Tuesday, general on a Friday and horse/ponies every other Saturday ...
now just a tat market Tues/Fri. ... :(
moved the livestock out of town to a VERY controversial site (that's a whole other story) and built a Morrisons on the livestock market site -- EVENTUALLY - (yet another story all to itself) 🤬

on another controversial note ... Aber food festival this weekend .. no day tickets - has to be booked on line with a £3-80 P&P in advance ... locals going nuts as no where to collect or buy tickets in the town .. have to pay to have them posted to them. .. large areas of the town inaccessible without tickets .. shopkeepers don't get any freebies and most close for the weekend ... 's a fkn disgrace ..... I stay well clear of it ... used to be a major row to get to my premises on the AFF weekend - ditto my w/end customers - had a lot of regular Sat. morning ones :mad: :mad:

Last edited:
Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
The problem we have is no skilled guys to do the work, we're all putting in overtime but it can be counter productive as everyone slows down to make it through the week without burning out, would like to cut the hours back a bit but don't have the man power to keep up. It's a vicious circle 😮‍💨 rate is around £25per hour on paye but nobody wants to work 🤷‍♂️

Storrsy

Storrsy

What as in an enforced 4 day working week? f**k that, Surely self employed will just do what they want regardless. And even PAYE to a certain extent. It's a five day working week currently but plenty running 2 jobs etc. Can't see it working myself, money doesn't grow on trees, if folk can't get enough hours in and the end product/service isn't costing more it's never going to add up.

B

bobthebuilder

What as in an enforced 4 day working week? f**k that, Surely self employed will just do what they want regardless. And even PAYE to a certain extent. It's a five day working week currently but plenty running 2 jobs etc. Can't see it working myself, money doesn't grow on trees, if folk can't get enough hours in and the end product/service isn't costing more it's never going to add up.
its easy ,4 days a week on one job and the 4days a week that are left on another job ,simples

S

Smiffy

The increased productivity won't last long either.
Think some posted on here: a new broom always sweeps well