Welding setup

M

Maxus

Welding is something I've been meaning to get my head around for a while, would be pretty useful for making repairs to machinery... plus it sounds like a lot of fun and I'm creative! I can imagine myself making bespoke obelisks type ornaments for gardens too.

Can anyone recommend an 'off the grid' welding setup I.e generater/welder to get me, a total novice, started?

doobin

doobin

You're going to spend a LOT more money if you have to be off grid. Best bet would be a decent generator (15KVA min really) with AVR (essential), then take your pick of modern invertor MIG sets which will all also do stick.

Otherwise you're looking at a diesel welding generator, wire feed suitcase if you want to do MIG, and a much steeper learning curve.

And if you're off grid then a decent generator is always helpful. So that's the route I'd go down.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Welding is something I've been meaning to get my head around for a while, would be pretty useful for making repairs to machinery... plus it sounds like a lot of fun and I'm creative! I can imagine myself making bespoke obelisks type ornaments for gardens too.

Can anyone recommend an 'off the grid' welding setup I.e generater/welder to get me, a total novice, started?
how deep are your pockets :oops:

doobin

doobin

He's not looking at welding up buckets for a 30 ton machine lads?😲

I'd have thought something like this..

Over £2k to run stick only. He'll need MIG to make a decent job of garden ornaments etc. And presumably need a genny if off grid.

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Depends on budget but we've been chuffed with this: it's incredibly easy to use if your starting out...honestly makes it a doddle.
And I looked at gennies at the time as it's supposed to run ok on a 7.5kva.
So something like this: https://www.generators-direct.co.uk...bTMHCiauKSgUGPeRYd4hroPV_dVL3powaAhdAEALw_wcB
Be handy to have but loads of secondhand about... Yes I'm bored..

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾

Mig welding..... Pfft. Good man will do garden ornaments with Stick.

Stubota86

Stubota86

fabricator I know had a Lorch arc set up with battery pack, pretty impressive but not sure how much it costs or what output/run time etc

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Mig welding..... Pfft. Good man will do garden ornaments with Stick.
6 fingered ones?

M

Maxus

Thanks guys, I reckon I should be looking at something like the second hand ARC GEN for 500 odd quid.

Of course if I had a nice big workshop with a power supply (and deep pockets) the REBEL 215IC looks like a brilliant bit of kit, wasted on me at this stage I think.

4mm electrodes enough?

S

Smiffy

Why not a 180amp inverter stick and Honda generator.
As always I will highly recommend the service from r tech
They are Chinese made but I think they upgrade them once here but service is brilliant

V8Druid

V8Druid

He's not looking at welding up buckets for a 30 ton machine lads?😲

I'd have thought something like this..

bloody hell Aiden ... my 32kva 3 ph genny with 168 hrs on the clock was only a little more ... that'll run a 400A mig without breaking a sweat - times two and have spare cap. ... for off grid it'd be perfect for 1 an 3ph and is whisper quiet

M

Maxus

I've got a honda eu20i but I'd don't think that would be enough to power the r-tech 180A? 3 year warranty is nice, and £500 is sensible money... no comment re communist China 🤐

S

Smiffy

I've got a honda eu20i but I'd don't think that would be enough to power the r-tech 180A? 3 year warranty is nice, and £500 is sensible money... no comment re communist China 🤐

No but you should be able to buy a 10kva generator and a modern Invertor machine for reasonable money

V8Druid

V8Druid

Thanks guys, I reckon I should be looking at something like the second hand ARC GEN for 500 odd quid.

Of course if I had a nice big workshop with a power supply (and deep pockets) the REBEL 215IC looks like a brilliant bit of kit, wasted on me at this stage I think.

4mm electrodes enough?
you'm gonna need some practise 'fore graduating to 4mils ;)

V8Druid

V8Druid

Maybe a nice big genny is the way to go...
leccy board wanted huge quantities of wonga to put 3ph in for me ..... £2.5k of nigh on new genny, leaves me well over £10k's worth of cherry to fuel it with, 'fore the leccy boys are even competing ...... and no standing charges ;):cool:

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

leccy board wanted huge quantities of wonga to put 3ph in for me ..... £2.5k of nigh on new genny, leaves me well over £10k's worth of cherry to fuel it with, 'fore the leccy boys are even competing ...... and no standing charges ;):cool:
And Armageddon proof 😎 or more that your not at the whim of shitty overhead supply's like us👌
Somat nice about the purr of a 3ph Genny🥰

B

bobthebuilder

bought a little 150 esab arc welder for site stuff ,welds 20mm steel of a 13 amp plug ,fab ,light and a doddle to use

V8Druid

V8Druid

bought a little 150 esab arc welder for site stuff ,welds 20mm steel of a 13 amp plug ,fab ,light and a doddle to use
Esab what? inverter? .. have had my Caddy a good 20 years ... was a dear item back then, but has given me exceptional service and are peanuts now