Vw Touareg for towing.. thoughts?

CPS

CPS

Hi all, not sure if I asked this on the old forum or not. I am looking for something for towing 3.5 ton. Something older as it will sit around when not used as I have the van kitted out for service etc.

Have looked at older VW touaregs on for sale and they can be bought cheapest enough.
Can they pull though? Anyone use one for this?
Or any other suggestions for towing with an older vehicle. Around the £4k Mark

Aiden

sjs5060

sjs5060

Aiden I've got a grand Cherokee, I bought it as a stop gap but the things stayed as we can't fault it, dead comfy, all toys and it works bloody hard and never breaks a sweat.

Ste

S

Smiffy

Hi all, not sure if I asked this on the old forum or not. I am looking for something for towing 3.5 ton. Something older as it will sit around when not used as I have the van kitted out for service etc.

Have looked at older VW touaregs on for sale and they can be bought cheapest enough.

Aiden

Very expensive and complicated to repair
For that budget a jeep grand Cherokee might be worth a look a lot of car and should get cheaper parts
Or an older kia sorento can tow 3.5tonne and very cheap but some people think they are uncomfortable

Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
I remember 5th gear did a demo with one towing a 747
Graham

CPS

CPS

Range Rover!! Seriously. Or a V8 jeep. Cheap muscle, they depreciate quick.
Aiden I've got a grand Cherokee, I bought it as a stop gap but the things stayed as we can't fault it, dead comfy, all toys and it works bloody hard and never breaks a sweat.

Ste
Thanks lads, never thought of a jeep to be fair... I'm guessing they tow 3.5 ton ok then?

Stubota86

Stubota86

Aiden
Range Rover p38 4.6 is a great car although some of them have issues with cylinder liners lifting I believe. Or a discovery 2 td5 if you don’t mind a bit of turbo lag. Have towed 3.5t with both and been really happy with them, the Range Rover didn’t flinch with the trailer on the back

pettsy

pettsy

Had one of the early pre faclift touaregs, 2.5 tdi 174 engine same as fitted in t5 at the time. Was a nice enough tool, and a lot of car for the money. I think the newer ones you have to spec them with towbar prep from new as they can’t always be retrofitted iirc

CPS

CPS

Had one of the early pre faclift touaregs, 2.5 tdi 174 engine same as fitted in t5 at the time. Was a nice enough tool, and a lot of car for the money. I think the newer ones you have to spec them with towbar prep from new as they can’t always be retrofitted iirc
It would be an older one i would go for, and would have to have a towbar fitted already as i wouldn't want the hassle of it. Was your 2.5 tdi 3.5 ton? some of them are less?

pettsy

pettsy

Yes mine was 2.5tdi, 3.5t towing capacity. Thought they were all 3.5t towing to be honest but looks like the r50 and petrol models are less. Got me about in most conditions, had a centre locking diff too iirc.
36886428-069B-40A1-B400-FEA1BC48DE76.jpeg

Giles

Giles

get the W12 Touareg

you will be fine
my mum had one for a few weeks drank fuel like you wouldn't believe and the irish wolfhound wouldn't fit in the back, went back to her land cruiser and sold the toureag

Op_Alx24/7

Op_Alx24/7

My Dad runs a V6 TDI and has done for quite a few years pulls 3.5ton no worries at all real comfy had some all terrains on for a while managed well in the field,

Nice Vehicle tbh

Mintsauce

Mintsauce

Had a Landcruiser Amazon while my truck was in for repairs and was very impressed. Bit bouncy on the back springs but plenty of power.

Powerfab

Powerfab

Aiden,

Toureg is a good yoke. Its a few years since I sniffed around a few looking for a mule, but if I recall correctly it's only the 3.0l V6 that can pull 3.5 tonnes.
They'e a bit harder to find than the 2.5.

All models are pretty bulletproof except for the centre bearing carrier on the propshaft which is known to fail.
Go to VW and its supposed to be a replacement propshaft unit @ £900 and then the labour. They say the mount cannot be replaced in isolation.
There are now aftermarket kits allowing you to cut off the old bearing and fit a replacement split mount for a couple hundred squids, or you can buy replacement aftermarket propshafts for little more.

It's a good haggling point if you can find an otherwise good Toureg with a grumbling bearing and bargain them down saying its a £1,000 repair :D