VTN MD150 / THUMM 615 hydraulic motor

wee_gus

wee_gus

Gents, any of you guys worked on the above?

I have the motor stripped out of the grab ready to strip down, has anyone worked on one of these and stripped them down?

initial problem was that the grab would only rotate clockwise and approx. only 30 degrees, you would then have to let go of the rocker switch and operate again for it to move and some times it wouldn't move, open and close work good, although when open it closes slightly.

I changed the rotate feeds on the grab to see if it would go anti clockwise but it would still only go clockwise but the rocker switch was working the other way. MAchine is brand new and has been set up double acting andthis has been checked

Attachments

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Gents, any of you guys worked on the above?

I have the motor stripped out of the grab ready to strip down, has anyone worked on one of these and stripped them down?

initial problem was that the grab would only rotate clockwise and approx. only 30 degrees, you would then have to let go of the rocker switch and operate again for it to move and some times it wouldn't move, open and close work good, although when open it closes slightly.

I changed the rotate feeds on the grab to see if it would go anti clockwise but it would still only go clockwise but the rocker switch was working the other way. MAchine is brand new and has been set up double acting andthis has been checked
is this a rotator or a motorised slew ring Gus ? what is the big outer ring ? I assume the cap with the knackered O ring is off the rotary coupling and the motor is underneath fed though it? could be a rotary coupling issue, dumping pressure ??

Exmayor

Exmayor

When you say it closes on its own... do you mean when you swivel or just leave everything in a neutral position,

wee_gus

wee_gus

It’s a rotator, the intermediate adaptor gets bolted into the slew ring, then a cap goes on top of the rotator with an arm coming off and locates on the intermediate adaptor, so when you operate the slew it rotates the lower section - the grab.
It’s would close when nothing was operated. I was sure it was the rotary coupling issue but now I’ve got it apart I’m not so sure, it’s a completely different set up from the last one I done a few years ago.

The cap is on top of the motor/rotary coupling

Tried looking for a thumm 615 manaual or parts list but nothing, will need to speak to ECY hallmark when they open on 3rd I think

Attachments

V8Druid

V8Druid

It’s a rotator, the intermediate adaptor gets bolted into the slew ring, then a cap goes on top of the rotator with an arm coming off and locates on the intermediate adaptor, so when you operate the slew it rotates the lower section - the grab.
It’s would close when nothing was operated. I was sure it was the rotary coupling issue but now I’ve got it apart I’m not so sure, it’s a completely different set up from the last one I done a few years ago.

The cap is on top of the motor/rotary coupling

Tried looking for a thumm 615 manaual or parts list but nothing, will need to speak to ECY hallmark when they open on 3rd I think
right ;) ..... so the large, free rotating slew ring takes the main loading, on side thrust and the rotator merely powers the rotational movement (y)
never had a rotator apart and no idea HTF they provide a rotational force, as it's always a full 360 / 'no limits' rotation with 'em ??? :confused::unsure::unsure:
this is going to be real interesting Gus:) ... lotsapix please Boyo (y):cool: .... it's gonna be edumacational ;)

Last edited:
JD450A

JD450A

Rough as a Dog
right ;) ..... so the large, free rotating slew ring takes the main loading, on side thrust and the rotator merely powers the rotational movement (y)
never had a rotator apart and no idea HTF they provide a rotational force, as it's always a full 360 / 'no limits' rotation with 'em ??? :confused::unsure::unsure:
this is going to real interesting Gus:) ... lotsapix please Boyo (y):cool: .... it's gonna be edumacational ;)
We had a rotator off a Kinshoffer apart last month for a inspection/clean up. Pretty basic simple engineering. Basically a 7 piston pump/motor pushing ball bearings on a 4 peak track.

At a guess the 30' rotation would indicate to me that either the top cap with the oil feeds has been aligned incorrectly or there is crap internally stopping it from functioning. That's if i'm reading from the same page as they are moderately simple bits of kit.

Attachments

V8Druid

V8Druid

We had a rotator off a Kinshoffer apart last month for a inspection/clean up. Pretty basic simple engineering. Basically a 7 piston pump/motor pushing ball bearings on a 4 peak track.

At a guess the 30' rotation would indicate to me that either the top cap with the oil feeds has been aligned incorrectly or there is crap internally stopping it from functioning. That's if i'm reading from the same page as they are moderately simple bits of kit.
hero Rory (y) ... always wanted to see inside one :rolleyes: .... but had no intention of stripping a perfectly good unit for the hell of it :giggle::giggle: ... surprised the rotation isn't notchy-er with the way it functions like that :rolleyes:
that top cap is just that though Rory ... no ports just three fixing screws .... more likely your second guess:unsure:

JD450A

JD450A

Rough as a Dog
that top cap is just that though Rory ... no ports just three fixing screws .... more likely your second guess:unsure:
By top cap I mean the feed cap/top of the rotator (Pic 3) Don't think it's possible on the Kins but perhaps on a larger unit a few degrees out could cause it to stall/jam/not function.

Stays smooth because of the 7 pistons vs 4 peaks. Odd Vs Even so one at least Piston is always out of phase/on a slope. Bloody clever.

JD450A

JD450A

Rough as a Dog
Rory, did you have any relief valves built into the head of the unit?
Not on the Kinshoffer Gus. Just the feed head (3) , pump body (2) (which is splined onto the center shaft) and the Track (1) which is fixed in the housing/to the feed head.

wee_gus

wee_gus

Thanks Rory, I suspect it’s very similar!
Here was me hoping for a quiet few days in between Xmas and new year but it’s certainly very busy at the moment

V8Druid

V8Druid

By top cap I mean the feed cap/top of the rotator (Pic 3) Don't think it's possible on the Kins but perhaps on a larger unit a few degrees out could cause it to stall/jam/not function.

Stays smooth because of the 7 pistons vs 4 peaks. Odd Vs Even so one at least Piston is always out of phase/on a slope. Bloody clever.
yes it is very clever Rory (y):cool: .... presumably the supply must be timed or phased, for the various pistons to be pressurised / dump in order for it to rotate and be reversible. Thanks for putting those pix up - a real insight those:):cool:

Wonder if anyone else has been into Gus's unit before him??? :unsure:

wee_gus

wee_gus

yes it is very clever Rory (y):cool: .... presumably the supply must be timed or phased, for the various pistons to be pressurised / dump in order for it to rotate and be reversible. Thanks for putting those pix up - a real insight those:):cool:

Wonder if anyone else has been into Gus's unit before him??? :unsure:
You just never know, it’s an older unit at 2007. Customer has just bought and sold onto another customer so it’s turning into a nightmare for him

V8Druid

V8Druid

You just never know, it’s an older unit at 2007. Customer has just bought and sold onto another customer so it’s turning into a nightmare for him
quite possibly someone with 'less' knowledge than needed has been in there or had the top off, not noted its position and put it back on out of timing?? :unsure: could be that simple, if it's at least trying to rotate .... any indicator or witness marks to help you Gus ??

wee_gus

wee_gus

quite possibly someone with 'less' knowledge than needed has been in there or had the top off, not noted its position and put it back on out of timing?? :unsure: could be that simple, if it's at least trying to rotate .... any indicator or witness marks to help you Gus ??
It’s hard to say as it’s coverd in shite! And hydraulic oil lol.
Will soon find out on Wednesday, needs to be back on site on 7th

wee_gus

wee_gus

Well, back at it today, got the unit somewhat stripped but could get it all split, damn thing fought me the whole way.

Found 3 damaged o rings inside of rotary coupling and also what looks like a break lining that had scored

Attachments

V8Druid

V8Druid

that's going to be expensive :(:oops: ..... a lot of bits of rubber floating about in there Gus :rolleyes:

wee_gus

wee_gus

Price up parts in the morning and see how I can finally split the other section,
As I can’t see a way of it splitting