VAT renewable energy

Danny

Danny

Have been to look at a job today, new concrete base and roughly 100 meters of trenching for new biomass boiler.

Im not supplying the boiler or the pipe but all excavation work would this be @ 5% vat or 20% vat?

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Have been to look at a job today, new concrete base and roughly 100 meters of trenching for new biomass boiler.

Im not supplying the boiler or the pipe but all excavation work would this be @ 5% vat or 20% vat?
think Rory has had a similar issue recently ? @JD450A

J

Jimoz

I don't know if there is a method for you to reclaim. I would guess that you'd either have to subcontract to renewables installer and charge them full rate with them billing client reduced rate. Or take on whole job and charge reduced rate. This is just a guess though, sure some googling would get to the bottom.

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Had this last year, my accountant advised that I charge 20% vat and then its down to the client to make a reclaim.
We had the opposite, we were charging 20% for new builds and expected the client would counter claim and had the HMRC come to us and said your charging VAT on none VAT qualifying jobs and issued us a little fine 😶. I would seek advice and if possible assurance from somewhere that has experience of it.

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
5% vat for all associated renewables works direct to client. Including associated landscaping/reinstatement.

From memory it's changed slightly to exclude wind and water turbines this year.

Used to be Onus on the client to reclaim the vat but now it is squarely on the contractor to charge at the appropriate rate, same for new builds, conversions and disabled access as said above! I personally no longer question the wisdom, and if it meets the below link do as i'm told by HMRC with a chain of evident emails showing I have queried it.

Danny

Danny

5% vat for all associated renewables works direct to client. Including associated landscaping/reinstatement.

From memory it's changed slightly to exclude wind and water turbines this year.

Used to be Onus on the client to reclaim the vat but now it is squarely on the contractor to charge at the appropriate rate, same for new builds, conversions and disabled access as said above! I personally no longer question the wisdom, and if it meets the below link do as i'm told by HMRC with a chain of evident emails showing I have queried it.

Thanks for that Rory, we normally zero rate all new build works but first time for me on renewables