Vat on new build

Danny

Danny

Cant seem to find the right answer online been to look at a job this afternoon and the customer bought up vat

Breif scope of work ;

Site clearance, knock down a wall so the piling rig can get in.

8T Machine + operator
Groundworker
Dumper

Do i charge vat or zero rate it?

Thanks

TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

If they have planning for a new build then it would be zero rate!!

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
If they have planning and are commencing works. Put in the vat column "Vat at 0% for new build"

Conversions of property to living accommodation are 5%

B

Brendan

From my understanding of it....
As long as it's a completely separate building for a house/flat with planning permission you zero vat it, if it's a mixed use building it's slightly different, think you would have to work it on percentage of split building. If your on the flat rate scheme you'll be out of pocket as you don't charge the vat but still have to pay 9.5% on the job

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
If its is supply of materials only then +vat. If its supply labour and materials then zero rated. For new builds obviously.

F

fred

they can claim it back anyway, if you get it wrong the VAT man will make you pay it and then leave you to try and extract it from the customer...

Danny

Danny

they can claim it back anyway, if you get it wrong the VAT man will make you pay it and then leave you to try and extract it from the customer...

Thats what i was worried about, but they can only claim once the build is finished and complete that could be 18months down the line

Mintsauce

Mintsauce

The guy should have a vat consultant who will supply you with the relevant paperwork. That is his job so if any technicalities turn up later the IR knock on his door and not yours.(y)

Pedrod355

Pedrod355

Im sure clients have to be charged 20% vat on hired in equipment ie diggers, telehandlers etc stuff like that as they aren't 0% exement for new builds,

could be wrong through...

Left hooker

Left hooker

Zero rated for new builds for all the ones we do site clearance haulage footings materials in and out