UH series hitachis

Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

We’re the uh series hitachis all rod control or were the 3s servo ?
I drove loads of them but can’t mind if the 3s were servo.
I know the UH051 and UH052 were rods but I drove UH063s and think they may of been servo controlled

JimboCX

JimboCX

Nearly sure the 3’s where servo. They had the controls beside the seat like todays machines. 2’s had them out in front of you. We had a UHO4 that had foot pedals for bucket and dipper movements.

Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

Nearly sure the 3’s where servo. They had the controls beside the seat like todays machines. 2’s had them out in front of you. We had a UHO4 that had foot pedals for bucket and dipper movements.
Any pics of it Jim ?
I remember I had been driving an 806c jcb then went to an 812jcb There was a UH052 hitachi on the site and When I eventually got to operate it I couldn’t believe how much better it was than the jcbs

JimboCX

JimboCX

Uho4 and uho52 daddy had two uho4 that was the older of the two it had foot pedals. The newer one had levers the same as the 52.
1645A877-855E-42AB-A3CD-93D2963B8575.jpeg
30E2E133-3EF2-47DD-B264-76B23BCD6C34.jpeg

Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

I never seen one as early as that . Must of been a fair gamble to go for one at that time when nobody was really buying them at that point . How did the pedals work ? I drove a wh051D duck but it was conventional levers with rods . Forward and back on the left lever for slew ( which I loved and didn’t like the switch to standardize them)
Looks like they didn’t bother with the counterweight!

JimboCX

JimboCX

That one in the picture was the older of the two. It had two foot pedals. One to open and close the bucket and then the other moved the dipper in and out. There was four levers out in front aswell. Left one slewd her around right one lifted Boom up and down and the two middle ones where for the tracks. The Newer one didn’t have the pedals it’s levers moved left and right. Only difference to modern machines was you pulled the left lever forward and back to slew rather than move it left to right. I wouldn’t fancy spending a shift on it now a days.

JimboCX

JimboCX

It was before my time the deal was done. But daddy told me everyone told him he was mad buying it. JCB Hymac and priestman where the big names then. He was told if he bought it that no one would want it when he was selling it again. And he’d never get parts for it and they where only scrap bla bla bla. Same way people talk about sanys and luigongs now a days. He bought the newer one first brand new off WAC McCandless. And then a few years later bought the older one second hand. And I think there was maybe 15 Or more Hitachis Came into our yard after that.

Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

I’d love an old one to do up. A uh052 or uh053 would be good . I bet there’s still a few about over there as well

Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

It was before my time the deal was done. But daddy told me everyone told him he was mad buying it. JCB Hymac and priestman where the big names then. He was told if he bought it that no one would want it when he was selling it again. And he’d never get parts for it and they where only scrap bla bla bla. Same way people talk about sanys and luigongs now a days. He bought the newer one first brand new off WAC McCandless. And then a few years later bought the older one second hand. And I think there was maybe 15 Or more Hitachis Came into our yard after that.
Did they all have Isuzu engines? I know some of the early bigger machines had hino engines I drove an old uh081 with a hino.

JimboCX

JimboCX

My mate still has a few. They own five or six Quarrys. Sort of men that buy new machines and just leave the old ones laying at the bottom of the quarry. They defo have a UHO62 and a UHO63 with really low hours on it.And they have a UH181 (I think) face shovel parked up aswell. There loads of old plant laying rotten away behind hedges all over Northern Ireland. And even more so in the south of ireland. The southerns are mad about old dash 1’s