Transfer box on Discovery 2?

R

Russell

Has anyone stuck a defender transfer box on a discovery 2? How this thing is supposed to pull 3.5 tone is beyond me, it struggles with 2.7t. I have read they do it the other way around ,disco t box on defender so could be possible?
My gearbox has a loud whine so I'm thinking when I get in there maybe change the transfer box at the same time.

S

Smiffy

No but driven a td5 defender with disco gearbox and it eats clutches towing 3.5 tonne in comparison to what it should and often have to put it in low range to get going at times when you shouldn't need to
So the reverse procedure should help
Will make it noisy at cruising speeds I would think as Discovery's come as standard with slightly smaller diameter tyres than defenders this is the reason for the different transfer box or atleast it was on td5's

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
what's in front of it LT77, Santana, or auto? some had different output shafts from memory ? :unsure:

Gunners

Gunners

Discovery's have taller final gearing than Defenders for better cruising. A TD5 Disco will still be running the R380 gearbox (if its a manual) and the LT230 transfer box, so any 200 or 300 tdi defender transfer box will in theory fit. If you've got a wine coming from the gearbox, might be worth swapping both out for a reconditioned unit, especially if you intend on keeping the TD5 going forever. (I don't think anyone's going to make anything better anytime soon)
Ashcroft transmissions always got good reviews when I used to get excited about such things. Nowadays I have better things to be fixing that earn me money and the landrovers are all parked up.

S

Smiffy

No but driven a td5 defender with disco gearbox and it eats clutches towing 3.5 tonne in comparison to what it should and often have to put it in low range to get going at times when you shouldn't need to
So the reverse procedure should help
Will make it noisy at cruising speeds I would think as Discovery's come as standard with slightly smaller diameter tyres than defenders this is the reason for the different transfer box or atleast it was on td5's

Sorry that's meant to be tdi's at the end

R

Russell

I spoke to Ashcroft and have a price for a rebuilt lt230 with a 1.6:1 ratio and a rebuilt gearbox. Standard disco is 1.1:1 I think and defender is 1.4:1. I'm not fussed about cruising speed because there's no motorways on the island and I'm hoping to get a l322 range rover for a nice car.

Cyberprog

Cyberprog

They are relatively easy to change - if you're hauling then I'd reccomend getting the RoverDrives DX-COV - it's an extended sump for the LT230 which improves cooling, but it also gives you a flat face you can lift the box on :)