Trailer registration

Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
I got mailshotted by DVLA to let me know commercial trailers over 750kg need to be registered if towing in Europe. I didn't know this and I used to reguarly tow my digger out to Germany for work. Only this week having a chat with someone in Gibraltar about some work, but was thinking of shipping all the stuff down and just flying out for a couple of days.
Anyway, if anyone is thinking of working out on the continent here is the link:
https://www.gov.uk/register-trailer-to-take-abroad

Furniss

Furniss

Cant speak for the rest of Europe but here in France for at least the last 15 years trailers over 750kg have had to have their own log book/insurance and number plate displayed, I wasnt aware it was the case if it was attached to a U.K registered towing vehicle :unsure:

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I got mailshotted by DVLA to let me know commercial trailers over 750kg need to be registered if towing in Europe. I didn't know this and I used to reguarly tow my digger out to Germany for work. Only this week having a chat with someone in Gibraltar about some work, but was thinking of shipping all the stuff down and just flying out for a couple of days.
registered with who though Gra ?? :unsure:

On edit .... another money maker for DVLA :mad:

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
just noticed the COMMERCIAL bit Gra ..... wonder if this applies to a private user ... say a donkey box ??? :unsure:

Grahams

Grahams

just noticed the COMMERCIAL bit Gra ..... wonder if this applies to a private user ... say a donkey box ??? :unsure:
Nowhere does it supply a definition of commercial trailer. It doesn’t say using the trailer commercially, but just a commercial trailer. Very open to interpretation and asking for on the spot fines. If I am going to tow on the continent again I will register just in case.

Komatsu

Komatsu

When I got my gp trailer for my van, that company also made donkey boxes and they had to put together a log book etc for the ones going abroad, to the extent of proof of purchase for axles and the like, so all serial no’s. matched up.

Last edited:
CPS

CPS

I'm guessing this will effect me here in Northern Ireland as I travel to the republic very often? And quite alot with a trailer lately 🤔

Grahams

Grahams

I'm guessing this will effect me here in Northern Ireland as I travel to the republic very often? And quite alot with a trailer lately 🤔
It's not clear if the republic are in the registration scheme. They don't feature on either EU list of having to have registration or not as far as I can see. Typical civil servant shit that only gives you part of the picture.