Tracking motor jammed

Furniss

Furniss

Any idea whats going on here ?

Kx71-3 tracking motor turns a bit in each direction .... like a couple of cms in either way then stops with a bang 😡

Did appear to stick a few times yesterday.

Nothing jammed in track so something gone amiss inside by the look of it !?

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Something loose in the planetary gears or motor come apart inside itself 🤔

CPS

CPS

Drain your gear oil and check for metal, sounds like a broken gear, if caught in time it should be fixable at a low cost

Bri963

Bri963

Most likely a tooth off a gear. Like said, take the cover off and have a look. Might be a cheap fix if you catch it now.

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Sounds incredibly painful - have you been to a party at Barrymore’s?
I was going to say “split annulus” But thought it sounded a bit painful, my second choice was not really any better 🤦‍♂️😂

Last edited:
Furniss

Furniss

Cheers for the replys (y)
Cover plate looks a bugger to get off and I know fiddlesticks about them so might as well just send it to the right people...... any suggestions for a quick turnaround ?
kubmotor.jpg
kubmotor2.jpg

Last edited:
Furniss

Furniss

Yep I understand the plate part, had a bit of a google and I see they can be difficult to get off, not that thats not doable but dont want to spend a lot of time getting the plate off and ordering bits and messing about with it, think the best will just be to send it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Thinking through events and I probably didn't give all the required information to diagnose the problem......... it actually went weak for a minute or so before it gave up completely and locked up .... so im not sure the diagnosis of a tooth off will be the same ??

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk
Thinking through events and I probably didn't give all the required information to diagnose the problem......... it actually went weak for a minute or so before it gave up completely and locked up .... so im not sure the diagnosis of a tooth off will be the same ??
Almost definitely tooth come off.

As always with final drives my advice is just to ring FDC and get a replacement unit. I know Tim did his kubota himself but IMHO it's not cost effective.

CPS

CPS

Almost definitely tooth come off.

As always with final drives my advice is just to ring FDC and get a replacement unit. I know Tim did his kubota himself but IMHO it's not cost effective.
It can be, if its no to far gone, in this case its been caught in time and not dogged around a site until someone asks whats wrong with that machine!

For instance, a new drive could be £1500, this could be fixed for 150 if not much wrong

Furniss

Furniss

I have emailed for a few prices - quick search shows its going to IRO 1400 +VAT

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I have emailed for a few prices - quick search shows its going to IRO 1400 +VAT
cheap :oops::giggle:
cost me £8 grand for bits for a 30t Demag crane winch many years ago ..... and not a lot bigger than a track drive, if at all ... planetary carrier burst and destroyed the guts :cry::cry:

Furniss

Furniss

Yep will prob just order one up and save loosing too much time messing.

Could just be my bad luck but remain to be convinced about this Kubota brand reliability ........... had more problems with my Kubota's than I had with my JCB's :mad:
might well be going yellow again soon .

GazCro

GazCro

Yep will prob just order one up and save loosing too much time messing.

Could just be my bad luck but remain to be convinced about this Kubota brand reliability ........... had more problems with my Kubota's than I had with my JCB's :mad:
might well be going yellow again soon .
If you're gonna be buying a whole new motor you have nothing to lose having a look in your own. May as well take plate off and have a look at gears you don't have to start buying parts but you might find it doesn't need much to sort it

Bri963

Bri963

Just worth noting that some after market motors are not a dead match to the original ones, this means one side can be slightly faster or slower.
If its the final drive, won’t make a difference.

regarding reliability, I’ve changed out finals on a JCB 55 at less than 2000 hrs. Machine hadn’t been abused either. Same machine, both top rollers fell off about the same hour age. JCB 100, bushes in end of stick shot at around 2500 hours despite regular greasing. I’ve had JCB bits take longer to come from Staffordshire than Cat parts take to come from the other side of the world. Your mileage may differ. Anything for my Kubota teaspoon, Shellplant have dropped at the door in two days.

Not anti-JCB at all, I rate them when they’re working, and the next micro may well be one. But all of these small machines are built down to a budget, and like cars, you get lucky with reliability or you don’t.

Gunners

Gunners

Not anti-JCB at all, I rate them when they’re working, and the next micro may well be one. But all of these small machines are built down to a budget, and like cars, you get lucky with reliability or you don’t.
That 55 shouldn't have any issues at those hours? By the book, they have the new graphite impregnated bushes which are supposed to go 500hrs between greasing so it will only have had to have grease 4 times in those hrs! Crazy I know but JCB stand by it. I bet James (Shovelhands) does his a bit more regularly that that!
Interestingly enough, my 8026 has done 2500hrs now and is still really tight in my opinion, thats got the old plastic bushes and is greased every other tankfull so not crazy on greasing.

As for your final drive Furness, as others have said, whip the plate off the front and see what you've got. Until then, all these prices for new bits are stabbing in the dark.