To hire or not to hire

Stubota86

Stubota86

Hi all
Currently got a kx36 and an hd1000 that we use out on our own jobs. Neither are new but do the job just fine.
Considering investing in a micro (probably an E10 given they’re on 0% finance) but I’m not sure I’ve got the demand for it just yet on my own jobs. So I’d look to rent it out on a self drive basis to help cover the repayments. Question is is it worth hiring stuff out on a small scale or is it too much hassle?
Cheers

Regy53

Regy53

Administrator
I personally wouldn’t

We get asked a lot to hire out machines. I bluntly just say no. I just don’t think it’s worth it for the odd £100 or £200. The damage, the risk, the payments, transport and so on. I suppose if we held back 3 or 4 old machines like your kx36 it might be worth. While but I wouldn’t hire our a new e10

For what it’s worth the E10 will hold its money a lot

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
It takes a special mentality to be able to deal with the repercussions of self drive hire and I certainly don't posses it!
yeh .... an accountants :rolleyes: ... just see the figures in /out on the balance sheets:( ..... I just could not deal with it :cry:

Hydremaduck

Hydremaduck

... an accountants ..........
I don't honestly see a problem with that side. Provided you are half competent to run a business which I'd hope anybody asking a similar question is then the figures should be easy enough to sort out. Although many only look at covering the "finance" and forget about the maintenance, wear and tear, increased depreciation due to increased hours, etc, etc.
What I couldn't handle is the needless almost wanton damage that is caused by fuckwits :mad: and the last minute ,com attitude of want it tomorrow or having booked it a week ago, decide at 7pm they don't want it tomorrow!

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I don't honestly see a problem with that side. Provided you are half competent to run a business which I'd hope anybody asking a similar question is then the figures should be easy enough to sort out. Although many only look at covering the "finance" and forget about the maintenance, wear and tear, increased depreciation due to increased hours, etc, etc.
What I couldn't handle is the needless almost wanton damage that is caused by fuckwits:mad: and the last minute ,com attitude of want it tomorrow or having booked it a week ago, decide at 7pm they don't want it tomorrow!
precisely Rob .... the accountant'd never come out of their office to see that .... :rolleyes: ..... be just a set of figures to them .... not a machine ... that at one time was new .. and shiny :(

B

Brendan

If your happy for the machine to never be greased, use as a bulldozer to smash down walls, breaking out concrete by use of smashing the bucket down in it repeatedly then carry on and hire it out.
Then there is the whole being called out at whatever hour to replace pipes or tracks.
You only have to look at the state of 1-2 year old kit at hire centres.
You'll also need to change it as soon as the warranty runs out as the abuse by that point may lead to lots of issues.