Thumb grab on a Takeuchi TB216?

doobin

doobin

Yes, I might need one of these if the first one gets f***ed up with the welding! These one are of standard welded construction whereas the new TB216 is a one piece cast dipper which is where I get a bit nervous. But sod it, once he starts tacking the pads in place he’ll get an idea of whether it’s going to work or not I guess. Machine is just out of warranty now.
Get shot of it and buy something else, you're always going on about how much you dislike it! Seriously, machine prices are high currently and there's not much new stock available. Good time to sell and use your other machines whilst you wait for new stock.

Storrsy

Storrsy

Get shot of it and buy something else, you're always going on about how much you dislike it! Seriously, machine prices are high currently and there's not much new stock available. Good time to sell and use your other machines whilst you wait for new stock.
I know! Trouble is I have got quite a lot of with work with at the moment.it’s still on finance, tbh whilst I stand by my dislike for it, it’s actually fine for the faffy little jobs like footpaths that I do with it. I’ll probably hold onto it for a few years, get my moneys worth from it and then hopefully still get good money from resale as will be tidy and low houred. Unless someone wants to make me an offer I can’t refuse.....;)

Hg2702

Hg2702

Hopefully mate 🤞🏽 Interested to see what happens with the thumb

Hg2702

Hg2702

He loves them 🤣 I stated why I was changing ! He’s more interested in the hitch setup

Storrsy

Storrsy

Well In reply to this thread- unfortunately not terribly good news! It welded on ok, on the face of it, but 3 of the 4 welds cracked straight along after picking up the three poles in the pic. Wish I could could rewind now I would have just fitted the manual type grab using a plate fixed via the 2 holes like that Tak of Owen Mays so no welding required onto the cast boom.

Attachments

• 93CB857E-3B79-4F7F-84A5-683C99356821.jpeg
    93CB857E-3B79-4F7F-84A5-683C99356821.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 200
  • 2C44228F-7D2C-485E-8D29-F24DEF307DFA.jpeg
    2C44228F-7D2C-485E-8D29-F24DEF307DFA.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 212
  • 6501C8F7-9AD1-4195-9A30-0522D151A7CF.jpeg
    6501C8F7-9AD1-4195-9A30-0522D151A7CF.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 220
doobin

doobin

Ugh. Some proper prep wouldn't have hurt either by the looks of it, but all in vain.

Bite the bullet and get a Tigergrip mate, you won't look back.

Storrsy

Storrsy

Ugh. Some proper prep wouldn't have hurt either by the looks of it, but all in vain.

Bite the bullet and get a Tigergrip mate, you won't look back.
The amount of faffing and wasting money on this grab would probably have bought a tiger grip anyway. But the reason I like the thumb so much is that when I’m stone facing Devon banks It’s a constant changing between grab and bucket. Ie I need to dig out trench for base stones then have a pile of rocks and pile of soil for backfilling behind stone work and ding the thumb/bucket ideal for this.

Storrsy

Storrsy

Like this retaining boulder wall I’m doing at the moment. The thumb and bucket on this 6 tonner just managed to pick up the rock but think it would have to be some grab to fit the same rock in and have the pinch grip to hold it....

Attachments

• F0A1B17E-8EE4-402F-925F-D211E4FB4F0C.jpeg
    F0A1B17E-8EE4-402F-925F-D211E4FB4F0C.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 206
Storrsy

Storrsy

Get somebody else to weld it on.
I didn’t weld It myself but got a neighbour to do it. He’s done plenty for me which has always been very strong and pretty neat, certainly never had a weld fail like this. this does look a bit messy and not entirely sure why. The grab had a really gummy paint which although we ground it all off it was pretty hard to get it out of the corners. Whether it was the casting or something I don’t know.... anyway not terribly pleased as you might imagine! I have seen other grabs which have far more dodgy looking welding which has held for years, so can only really think it’s something to do with the cast dipper arm.

GazCro

GazCro

I didn’t weld It myself but got a neighbour to do it. He’s done plenty for me which has always been very strong and pretty neat, certainly never had a weld fail like this. this does look a bit messy and not entirely sure why. The grab had a really gummy paint which although we ground it all off it was pretty hard to get it out of the corners. Whether it was the casting or something I don’t know.... anyway not terribly pleased as you might imagine! I have seen other grabs which have far more dodgy looking welding which has held for years, so can only really think it’s something to do with the cast dipper arm.
Weld itself has failed though not come away from the dipper. What did he weld it with?