Tesla Truck

F

fred

Going into production this year apparently. Could be a gamechanger for the freight industry. 400+ miles range. expecting closer to 1000, dedicated megacharger which will give 400 miles of range in 30 mins tacho break.

work and routing will have to be tweaked a little to accommodate charging but the massive savings in fuel and servicing could be immense.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Going into production this year apparently. Could be a gamechanger for the freight industry. 400+ miles range. expecting closer to 1000, dedicated megacharger which will give 400 miles of range in 30 mins tacho break.

work and routing will have to be tweaked a little to accommodate charging but the massive savings in fuel and servicing could be immense.

very interesting @fred .... commercials is deffo where leccy is going to make big differences and have the capacity to lug the batteries around to get the range (y):cool:

Bob

Bob

anyone know cost of new batteries, and how long they last have heard differant times from 4 = 7 years and eveyone seem to agree that they wil be bloody expensive costing according to some reports up to £15000 for a set of batteries for a car which will mean a scrap job for a lot of cars

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Devils advocate...what about fire risk of that many batteries? What about disposal of them when they "dead" what about when highways agency do their thing and shut the mway for 5 hours mid winter?🤔
Sure it's all good stuff but sorry like someone said today....apparently cows emit more fumes than cars...ok I know which if rather be stuck in garage with all night on tickover. Yeah ok I'm not a Greta fan.

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Don't believe the hype.

Volvo are currently trying to sort out electric tippers/rigids, the tech is there, has been for a long time and there are functional prototypes out working..... but....

Giles

Giles

Relation of mine has one on trial at work, 18t electric four wheeler iirc, can just about carry four pallets.......

Is that the future? I think not.....
Early days now many years of petrol engines was it before 4 pallets,

see a lot of hate or ignorance around electric, it’s coming so can’t hide from it for ever.

funniest thing is most the biggest kit is already electric albeit diesel electric or electric face shovels

now seeing full life cycle batteries and full recycling of old ones meaning a lot of the myths around them are spent, waiting for the pic of the Rio tinto copper mine with lithium label as a counter argument.

my uncle has the ludicrous p90 Tesla shits alover rally driver bro in laws m5 in a drag race.

once they figure removable counter weight batteries etc we’ll be flying in our game be like swapping battery in dewalt drill lol

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Yeah don't deny it's the future...we won't get any kin option..
It's the pompous I'm saving the world in my 80k car as they hog the middle lane at 68mph folk that piss me off.
I dunno just doesn't stack up in a lot of ways but let's wait and watch 🙄

TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

Electric vehicles are about moving emissions for the city’s to somewhere by the coast where you generate electric r we ugh few people around. There will be electric trucks for the city delivery but as @Left hooker said... hydrogen is the way forward for most heavy haulage.

S

Smiffy

Yeah don't deny it's the future...we won't get any kin option..
It's the pompous I'm saving the world in my 80k car as they hog the middle lane at 68mph folk that piss me off.
I dunno just doesn't stack up in a lot of ways but let's wait and watch 🙄

Ive been sat outside what must be a regional storage area for brand new Tesla's today
Loads going out on trailers as well as being collected by the new owners
They are being dragged of to there new homes by an army of the most non eco friendly vehicles possible from a V8 disco 2
To a 20 year old sprinter

They are an amazing piece of marketing that allows people to feel high and mighty whilst driving something that in reality is just one great big act so they can pretend they have a clear conscience

In reality if the government really cared about the environment there would be rules about the lifespan of vehicles as far more polotion is caused in the manufacture and scrapping of a vehicle than in the on road pollution

D

Diggerdavey

Ive been sat outside what must be a regional storage area for brand new Tesla's today
They are being dragged of to there new homes by an army of the most non eco friendly vehicles possible from a V8 disco 2

They are an amazing piece of marketing that allows people to feel high and mighty whilst driving something that in reality is just one great big act so they can pretend they have a clear conscience

In reality if the government really cared about the environment there would be rules about the lifespan of vehicles as far more polotion is caused in the manufacture and scrapping of a vehicle than in the on road pollution
I agree, if the environment was the primary concern the impact of production and disposal as well as emissions would paint a very different picture I’m sure

Giles

Giles

Not true

It is estimated that of the CO2 emissions produced over a car's lifespan 10% come from its manufacture and 5% from its disposal, with the remaining 85% coming from fuel use and servicing operations.

A

Agridave

compressed natural gas and methane have been in usa for a decade now and seem to be the next step

Gunners

Gunners

Look, we are not the targeted demographic of electric cars guys. I personally think they have a lot of potential. Say you work in an office 5 miles away from home. Charge at home - charge at work. That car is going to go anywhere you want it to, school runs, work, shopping etc its likely to be a 2nd vehicle in the family and will most likely be used the most.
I think they work for that. And many cars are used for these kinds of short journeys. Be nice to make them electric miles.
But...
They wont tow 3.5t - 200 miles to and from a job. Well - not yet anyway. But they do have their place in the transport network. Electric hybrid is a viable alternative that might suit us though?

My main concern and one that is seldom mentioned is - can the grid handle the extra capacity? This I find a much more interesting topic for us lot, I notice BMW are making their cars "slow charge" to avoid straining the German grid. Is this something we will have to see here? And do we have enough power plants to produce it, even if the ageing network can handle everyone having a fast charger on their driveway - which I suspect it cant.
Someone on here must know the answer re the grid.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Look, we are not the targeted demographic of electric cars guys. I personally think they have a lot of potential. Say you work in an office 5 miles away from home. Charge at home - charge at work. That car is going to go anywhere you want it to, school runs, work, shopping etc its likely to be a 2nd vehicle in the family and will most likely be used the most.
I think they work for that. And many cars are used for these kinds of short journeys. Be nice to make them electric miles.
But...
They wont tow 3.5t - 200 miles to and from a job. Well - not yet anyway. But they do have their place in the transport network. Electric hybrid is a viable alternative that might suit us though?

My main concern and one that is seldom mentioned is - can the grid handle the extra capacity? This I find a much more interesting topic for us lot, I notice BMW are making their cars "slow charge" to avoid straining the German grid. Is this something we will have to see here? And do we have enough power plants to produce it, even if the ageing network can handle everyone having a fast charger on their driveway - which I suspect it cant.
Someone on here must know the answer re the grid.
as I mentioned somewhere else on here recently .... Deutchland has had serious problems the last couple of months with their generation systems ... the wind ain't blown and the solars've been either froated over or snow covered .... have had to import and also fire up some of their old coal fired plants to stop the country grinding to a halt ...... and that's without every 'Herman' plugging their two or three cars in daily/nightly .... as you say ... WTF is all the leccy gonna come from and HTF are you going to deal with all the leads trailing about the streets where vehicles only have on street parking?

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
I've got to be honest. Very simply anyone that uses the view that it's early days with this tech is either Naive or trying to hide from reality.

Underground mining is a obvious one that few people see. Earliest gear being battery powered locomotives from the early 1900's. Tech has moved and there have been battery electric buggys, haulers and loaders for a long time.... but cost is fair prohibitive.

Same with warehouses..... Lansing Bagnell pioneered regenerative braking in the 50's/60's. Tugs and Forklifts are but a few of the very successful items of gear that have existed in a battery electric format for decades.

The issue with Trucks in particular is payload. Forklifts and Tugs need ballast, Trucks don't need or want extra weight.

Unfortunately electric is a easy way of saying your being green.... with emissions being something you don't notice in the background.... knowing what I know about the UK's Power grid I can confidently say the reason behind smart meters is to balance the power for the "green" revolution.... but someone is going to have to pay for a lot of infrastructure.

T whiting

T whiting

There's plenty of capacity in the grid for electric cars if they can make them charge when other demand is low and even feed back into the grid when there's a spike in demand it's a good way to balance out the intermittent electric production of renewable energy.

The site manager on the last job had a electric Volvo he put it on charge every day on site and that drove him 50 miles back home on full electric ready for another charge he was putting about £20 a month in petrol into it.

The one I'm waiting for is inductive charging in the motorways it would solve a lot of the distance problems if you could pull off the motorway with a full battery with say 100 miles in it

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
There's plenty of capacity in the grid for electric cars if they can make them charge when other demand is low and even feed back into the grid when there's a spike in demand it's a good way to balance out the intermittent electric production of renewable energy.
Think you would be surprised personally. But perhaps it's just the southwest.