Starting for myself?

• Thread starter Flying Torquewrench
  • Start date
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I reckon you'd get one with your hosting provider but access it through a service like outlook express used to be. Others will know more
does it still exist ??? thought it died with XP :unsure:.... another reason i stick with XP ... such a great email platform ... was looking for a contact earlier ... from 2008/9 ... found them and all my correspondence with them, in under a minute. zero chance on web mail .... plus so easy to save and archive email with.

B

Brendan

My email is done through zoho it's easy enough to use, host site has the email tech bits. My website is wordpress , don't really get much from it beside wasting the odd bit of money on ads, to the then get other companies offering to sell you the same ads 🙄🤔
Website looks more professional I should really do more with my Facebook page, but it's never really much to show, just digging and backfilling holes mostly

Last edited:
J

Jimoz

Wordpress is so easy to use to do it yourself. FInd a schematic you like and adapt it to suit.
Think i'm gonna build myself a webpage this weekend @Gunners can I do it offline then just make it live once I buy a domain and get a hosting provider? Is it really easy enough for an idiot to use? For instance when someone clicks the phone number on a smart phone will it dial automatically - stuff like that.

B

Brendan

Failed at step one just downloaded it can't even get it to open! It's not like a normal app/program!
You can do a few online with premade designs or managed version, I used a managed wordpress from 1&1 or whatever they are called now, just login on line and edit, although I do struggle to work it out at times as don't do it very often.

I also have no idea on SEO or what makes a page organically appear on the first page of Google without spending/wasting money on ads. I can't bring myself to pay for a professional to design and edit as can't see that I'd get the return on the investment

B

Brendan

Cheers @Brendan I've been looking at hosting packages what's the difference between managed and basic. Surely WordPress is WordPress regardless of managed? @Gunners ?
Think they take care of the updates and security side of it, there is probably some other benefits I really should look into more properly. There is also a free SSL thing with mine

When I originally tried wordpress if I remember correctly I downloaded something and needed various logins the managed version I just do it online

My website history has been, premade editable templates off GoDaddy then wordpress hosted by them and finally still wordpress but through ionos. My website costs just over £4 a month

WordPress has hundreds of free themes with majority offering paid upgrade plugins

Flying Torquewrench

Flying Torquewrench

Thank you very much everybody for the advice. I will have a look around tomorrow and hopefully get a website sorted.

Apologies for the late reply. We have been up and down to the vets for emergency appointments in the last few days, hence no time to check the forum.

V8Druid

V8Druid

Thank you very much everybody for the advice. I will have a look around tomorrow and hopefully get a website sorted.

Apologies for the late reply. We have been up and down to the vets for emergency appointments in the last few days, hence no time to check the forum.
with satisfactory outcome I hope ?

J

Jimoz

Yeh hope the vets went well?
I managed to do the website this weekend. It was a steep learning curve with a full reset early doors and start again jobby. I went for managed from TSO but the cheapest package. I've had them on the blower twice for help so in glad I went with managed.

Flying Torquewrench

Flying Torquewrench

@V8Druid @Jimoz , many thanks. If all goes well I pick them up today after work. They have been in since Thursday night. The big one (Jasper) stopped eating due to a blocked gut, of which they can die within 12 hours.
F1FDD3E9-C6E3-47AC-B8B9-18B7D3C79E72.jpeg

V8Druid

V8Druid

@V8Druid @Jimoz , many thanks. If all goes well I pick them up today after work. They have been in since Thursday night. The big one (Jasper) stopped eating due to a blocked gut, of which they can die within 12 hours. View attachment 18386
nice (y):cool: Jasper looks a big lad .....never owned a bunny .... handled loads ........ after catching 'em in the house ...... after Squeak has brought them home and let 'em go in the kitchen :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Flying Torquewrench

Flying Torquewrench

The missus had bunnies all her life so I got introduced to them. Wasn’t to sure at the beging but in fairness they are both brilliant.

Jasper is a continental giant and weighs just shy of 13 pounds and is over 2 feet long when he stretches out. They have a 12x6 foot converted shed as living quarters but have now also taken over half the conservatory. Outside during the day and inside at night.

It keeps the missus happy so makes my life a lot easier. ;)(y)

V8Druid

V8Druid

The missus had bunnies all her life so I got introduced to them. Wasn’t to sure at the beging but in fairness they are both brilliant.

Jasper is a continental giant and weighs just shy of 13 pounds and is over 2 feet long when he stretches out. They have a 12x6 foot converted shed as living quarters but have now also taken over half the conservatory. Outside during the day and inside at night.

It keeps the missus happy so makes my life a lot easier. ;)(y)
got some pix somewhere of IIRC a Dutch giant ..... and he's bloody HUGE !! .... damned near dog sized ..... understand that house rabbits make great pets .... dunno what Squeak'd make of sharing the house with a couple though :oops: ... Sparty is so laid back and seen so many 'new faces' come and go he'd probably not bat an eye lid

they look gorgeous :love::love::cool:

R

rossandson

Did you get your website sorted? Long story short but I can help you with a domain and some hosting if you still need it. (y) I manage a server that I have a few clients on. No pressure.

V8Druid

V8Druid

Did you get your website sorted? Long story short but I can help you with a domain and some hosting if you still need it. (y) I manage a server that I have a few clients on. No pressure.
'evening Ross ... welcome ... so what's your plant story? hobby or professional user ... any pix of your gear? :);)

R

rossandson

Hi!
I’ll do a new thread with my full story soon. I’ve dabbled with plant and love having “the right tool for the job” but mainly projects for friends, helping at local farm and other random small building projects for friends and my own place, which is never ending!

I’ve decided in the last year that I want to give it ago properly, just had a newborn and has made me want to pursue it more, therefore have decided to make the jump. 👌

Flying Torquewrench

Flying Torquewrench

@rossandson congratulations with the newborn!

At the moment the website is on the back burner as life is a bit hectic at the moment. But thank you for the offer, I keep it in mind.

Initially I was looking at losing my job, which was a big worry for most of the summer. Then finally last month I was told that I keep my job but on a 50% part time contract. Not ideal but it has given me the kick up the arse I needed to get my own business off the ground. Life was looking better and we had a couple of good weeks. Until last Friday when the company came up with the brilliant idea to potentially move me abroad. Albeit on a a full time contract. And with the stroke of a pen our life is upside down again. If I end up abroad then my own business will no longer happen as I just haven’t got the spare time. We should find out somewhere in the New Year!

Oh, and to top it all off we had to go back to the vets with the rabbits on an emergency appointment last Monday. All sorted now and they are coming back home later tonight.

V8Druid

V8Druid

....Initially I was looking at losing my job, which was a big worry for most of the summer. Then finally last month I was told that I keep my job but on a 50% part time contract. Not ideal but it has given me the kick up the arse I needed to get my own business off the ground. Life was looking better and we had a couple of good weeks. Until last Friday when the company came up with the brilliant idea to potentially move me abroad. Albeit on a a full time contract. And with the stroke of a pen our life is upside down again. If I end up abroad then my own business will no longer happen as I just haven’t got the spare time. We should find out somewhere in the New Year!
Oh, and to top it all off we had to go back to the vets with the rabbits on an emergency appointment last Monday. All sorted now and they are coming back home later tonight.
wow ... how things can change overnight :oops:
hope the bunnies are OK