Starting for myself?

• Thread starter Flying Torquewrench
  • Start date
Flying Torquewrench

Flying Torquewrench

Hopefully I can tap into the greater knowledge on this forum.

Due to the current situation I have been forced from a full time contract onto a 50% contract. No reason to complain as any contract is still much better then no job at all.
In my line of work a 50% contract means 9 days of work in a 28 day period. This gives me a considerable time off work and I hope to do something else in my spare time.

I have looked at working for somebody else but most only offer minimum wage. With an 8 hour working day and 30 minutes unpaid lunch I would earn just under £40 a day after tax. With all due respect but that is just not going to happen. Hence why I have been looking at other options.

One option is to start my own business with the mini digger. If I could get another 5/6 days of work out of it a month, then I would be quite happy. Doing what for you guys is the boring stuff, ripping up driveways, gardens etc. All for a decent rate and not £100 a day as it just doesn’t stack up.

I fully appreciate that we are currently facing a recession and that setting up any new business won’t be easy. It works in my favour that I don’t need to buy the machinery so capital outlay is quite low.

My main issue is how to get the first few jobs in so that hopefully word of mouth will help in the future? Some sort of advertising will be needed but what is the best way to advertise?

I have made up a facebook page and a presence on Instagram but I am not sure where to go from there. Is a website a useful thing to have or is it a waste of money and time?

There is a local village magazine which is distributed around roughly 15 villages in the immediate area which could be useful. I have enquired about the cost and it is £50 per month for a business card sized advert. This is based on a contract for 3 months so £150.

We also have a local facebook group that allows adverts to be shared but only once a month per business. This is obviously free of charge but reaches less people, really on the village next door.

As most of you have successful businesses in the industry, what sort of advertising would you recommend?

Many thanks.

Furniss

Furniss

Hopefully I can tap into the greater knowledge on this forum.

Due to the current situation I have been forced from a full time contract onto a 50% contract. No reason to complain as any contract is still much better then no job at all.
In my line of work a 50% contract means 9 days of work in a 28 day period. This gives me a considerable time off work and I hope to do something else in my spare time.

I have looked at working for somebody else but most only offer minimum wage. With an 8 hour working day and 30 minutes unpaid lunch I would earn just under £40 a day after tax. With all due respect but that is just not going to happen. Hence why I have been looking at other options.

One option is to start my own business with the mini digger. If I could get another 5/6 days of work out of it a month, then I would be quite happy. Doing what for you guys is the boring stuff, ripping up driveways, gardens etc. All for a decent rate and not £100 a day as it just doesn’t stack up.

I fully appreciate that we are currently facing a recession and that setting up any new business won’t be easy. It works in my favour that I don’t need to buy the machinery so capital outlay is quite low.

My main issue is how to get the first few jobs in so that hopefully word of mouth will help in the future? Some sort of advertising will be needed but what is the best way to advertise?

I have made up a facebook page and a presence on Instagram but I am not sure where to go from there. Is a website a useful thing to have or is it a waste of money and time?

There is a local village magazine which is distributed around roughly 15 villages in the immediate area which could be useful. I have enquired about the cost and it is £50 per month for a business card sized advert. This is based on a contract for 3 months so £150.

We also have a local facebook group that allows adverts to be shared but only once a month per business. This is obviously free of charge but reaches less people, really on the village next door.

As most of you have successful businesses in the industry, what sort of advertising would you recommend?

Many thanks.
Your advertising depends on your work ... so if you want to job about local with a mini digger then maybe fliers in local garden center /shop etc till you get going.

diggerjones

diggerjones

Yeah village websites and social media. Web page is ok once someone has found you. I'm lucky don't advertise. Good luck. Its never a good time to start a new business

Gunners

Gunners

Don't pay for advertising, you really don't need to. Plenty will offer you advertising - its their game after all. Be the top hit on mini digger in your town etc.
Do you have any pics of previous work you have completed? If not steal some of the work you want to aim for from google just to get you started.
My top tips would be this;
1. Setup a basic website describing your services
2. Setup a google business page with photos and description of services etc.
3. Setup a facebook business page, populate it with several posts of completed work so people have something to look at, and it establishes you more. Even if these jobs were on your own land etc, make up a fake job description that you solved with your services.
4. Advertise for free on facebook marketplace
5. Setup a free Yell.com account and then ignore all their phone calls wanting you to pay for extra promotion.
6. Setup a company twitter, company instagram etc
7. Call local builders telling them of your services, the way things are at the moment, you might well find a lot of work this way. People round here are constantly looking for people. Same goes for contacts you have through friends and family, people know people.

If everything you do online links back to your website with the same name, logo, information etc, google loves that and its the easiest way to get hits on your site and work your way up the search engines. All the above can be achieved in less than 1 day and for £0. I would be amazed if it didn't land you a job within a week. It certainly did with me and continues to do so.

Good luck.

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Spot on advice from gunners..loath it or hate it social media will bring you work...and yes 100% point it all back to your site👍 folk need to be able to trust you and a good site tells a story. Think of it like a cracking shop...that's down a back alley with good gear..only a few folk know about it and no front window .....or one with a smart tidy display of what it sells...

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
People no longer really use adverts in papers IMHO....

Facebook page setup, get a few jobs in and have a sign board up by the trailer (Works Carried Out by XYZ, We Apologise for any Inconvenience, Tel:0184727409214) I find borrowing council road closed signs are good for this as there the right size 😂 Surprising what work it brings in.

Focus on quality not quantity and don't take the piss.... the work will soon come.

Flying Torquewrench

Flying Torquewrench

Thank you everybody for your replies! It is really appreciated.

Facebook & Instagram all have the same address and the website address is still available so will get that set up this week.

Only done a few jobs for others but hardly taken any photo’s (n):cautious:. However I have lots of photo’s of work done on our own land and they are on the business Facebook and Instagram page.

I have a few signs made for on the trailer and the spare wheel cover for the jeep. A “road closed” sign I have on loan from the local council since last week. :) Just need to put a sign on it.

There will probably be a few more questions in the future. Once again, thank you for the time taken to provide some answers and to help somebody else out.

Edited to add: Does anybody use the 123 Reg website builder? I used Adobe Dreamweaver before and built my own website. Only needed a hosting site but it seems that it is now cheaper to use a website builder as part of the hosting package.

Last edited:
J

Jimoz

I went to set up a Facebook page the other month then just left it. I reckon the Facebook market is bottom of the barrel. I could be wrong but anecdotally I've heard bad things.
I'd rather find a contractor who Needs a subbies for when times are quiet and pack my kit up everyday at 4 and not think about work again till tomorrow.

Some good tips for the websites above.

B

Brendan

I went to set up a Facebook page the other month then just left it. I reckon the Facebook market is bottom of the barrel. I could be wrong but anecdotally I've heard bad things.
I'd rather find a contractor who Needs a subbies for when times are quiet and pack my kit up everyday at 4 and not think about work again till tomorrow.

Some good tips for the websites above.
Majority on Facebook are dreamers with unrealistic budgets

Flying Torquewrench

Flying Torquewrench

Gunners,

I had a look at Wordpress and it looks alright. Seems to score quite high in the reviews so might give it a go.

Quick question to which I can’t find the answer. Does Wordpress also provide you with an email address? I would like a personalised email address linked to the company name and not something ending in @gmail.com, @outlook.com etc.?

J

Jimoz

I reckon you'd get one with your hosting provider but access it through a service like outlook express used to be. Others will know more

S

Smiffy

Majority on Facebook are dreamers with unrealistic budgets

However facebook and instagram are very good to use ass a photo cache and online portfolio of your work
Even a lot of employed blokes I know have a page as it is a record of what they have done

J

Jimoz

Fair play to keir starmer I'm no labour fan but at least he put the 10pm question to pm. As expected no scientific evidence forthcoming