So how do you move a container ship ??

P

powercom

so it seems multiple tug boats are struggling to move this ship , but unusually its alongside land on both sides that offers a possibility of some interesting options

given the huge revenue being lost and the upset to world trade money would not seem to be a big issue so just how much plant could you Russell up in that location pretty quickly to lend some land based HP ??

Just how many D10's and 11's equal the towing capacity of a big tug boat ?

we have seen videos of fleets of motor scrapers pulling walking draglines out of lagoons and so on so some serious HP can be bought to bear when needs be

any one got any ideas

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk
You won't match marine power with land based power..... namely due to the tractive effort and how you put the power into the floor.

The only very interesting theory i've heard is if boats either side of the blockage powered up under anchor and used the Props to effectively pump water into the blocked area thus raising the water level..... theoretically. the issue is the ships grounded out more than anything.

Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
You won't match marine power with land based power..... namely due to the tractive effort and how you put the power into the floor.

The only very interesting theory i've heard is if boats either side of the blockage powered up under anchor and used the Props to effectively pump water into the blocked area thus raising the water level..... theoretically. the issue is the ships grounded out more than anything.
Nice avatar ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
the only problem with that is the other boats need to have stern facing boaty Mc boat face to be effective
will be a proper disaster if it breaks its back๐Ÿค”

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better

suction dredgers and clear what's under it

Bob

Bob

I would have thought a few land based winches on opposite bank and pulled front round would have helped with tugs pulling on stern

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk
Nice avatar ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
the only problem with that is the other boats need to have stern facing boaty Mc boat face to be effective
will be a proper disaster if it breaks its back๐Ÿค”

Blame @Gunners who would explain it and also seems to absolutely love Disney films..... Fk knows :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Yes, if it breaks it's back that will be the end of the suez for months.

C

Canal Navvy

I wonder how many tonnes of salt it would take to increase the flotation enough ๐Ÿค”

S

Smiffy

g.

I thought the reason for large hp for the big ship was the inefficiency of of water propulsion
After all the old canal system of land propulsion water based transport was supposed to be one of the most efficient systems possible.

But if lift is what's required float a tanker with full ballast tanks in as close to either side possible. Some incredibly serious chains to secure the three ships together for a container ship sandwich and empty the ballast tanks would give you more lift than anything else available.

craig

craig

We where talking about this earlier, any serious pulling force could capsize the ship, obvious anchoring points would be deck level, its all ready sitting high in the water, combined with a slight sideways pull could be all it needs.

B

bobthebuilder

i read earlier that the water level was 50cm or 20 inches higher when the boat grounded

Regy53

Regy53

Administrator
i would imagine there is a serious issue with weight balance on this. It really needs a lot of rotating power and any banks need to be removed, trying to push / pull it over the silt will create some lean.

Both Quadzilla and Lumag have containers on it that are now delayed lol

M

Monkeybusiness

It is 200000 tonnes, stuck in the ground. Nothing is going to move that whilst it is embedded in the planet - it needs to be floating. There isnโ€™t a tow cable or anchor point in existence that could transfer enough force into that structure to move it whilst grounded.

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

I have my doubts about this one too ..... 's in flip flop territory .... you've seen what they've mobilised so far ..... to sort a problem costing the world billions :oops::oops:
My thinking ....I mean if that was my busines...you'd know how much a cockup like that is gonna cost etc...you'd grab biggest machines you could and head down there...wtf is going on. Bloody Arabs ...the games afoot ... Failing that get some yank navy experts..bet they could make a crater where that ship was.๐Ÿ˜Ž