Sharpening blades?

R

Russell

My chisels and kitchen knives are very dull.
I've seen on YouTube apparently putting a MDF wheel on a bench grinder and using some polishing compound works? Has anyone tried it?
If not any other methods?

Giles

Giles

Have proper wet stones for my Japanese chefs knives but also my mate does it and gets them crazy sharp

Gecko

Gecko

The sharper and more delicate a blade, the faster power tools will destroy it.
Knife sharpening is very deep rabbit hole (full of folk law and BS).
Having a nice blade to use is all about having a consistent angle for the full length of the blade.
Sounds obvious, but the "correct" angle is determined by: the hardness of the steel, the thickness of the blade and of course the intended use.

I use a knock-off of this kit to get a consistent profile the full length of the blade which can then be maintained with a steel until you want to true it up again
1700879075485.png

useful comments about choosing the "correct" angle.

Last edited:
R

Russell

I've used a steel but didn't get good results.
I've got a set of cheapo diamond stones and there so so, probably my lack of technique.
I like the look of the fixed angle setup.

R

Rob65

For wood chisels I use a belt sander to get the grinding angle and then a traditional oilstone to hone an edge on them. After honing break the burr off on my hand.

After they have been properly sharpened once, a quick session on a stone only takes less than a minute.

My philosophy when it comes to sharpening is little and often is best.

Giles

Giles

I keep my Japanese knifes razor sharp so much so no one else is allowed to use them or wash them. Have a Japanese whetstone kept immersed that’s 400/1000 give them a Sunday tune up on the 1000 and strop . The slicer is lethal sharp

Attachments

• 541BF104-A1CD-4940-BF64-7B084D02A239.jpeg
    541BF104-A1CD-4940-BF64-7B084D02A239.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 35
heritage machining

heritage machining

I use a welsh slate stone and waterto sharpen chisels and knives if I could get a round one and run it slowly water immersed that would be the best solution in my opinion

R

Russell

A bit of googling suggests 25° for chisels/plane and the link above 20° for kitchen knives. Does anyone use a jig for chisels and plane?

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Depends how serious you are...but creme de la creme..

kabin man

kabin man

Rocksread knives have a rep for sharpness..
And being f#$in expensive..

6feetdown

f**k me theyve increased in price. I've got 1 but needs a new wheel about £100 last time I looked bet now dbl that

heritage machining

heritage machining

Dad's got one and it is really good