Seriously....

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

On a dropped kerb entrance to industrial unit.
Vigin media ...wtf. about 2 weeks old
Got worse after picture

PXL_20230516_164735919.jpg

PXL_20230516_164739891.jpg

S

Smiffy

It can still be laid an awful lot better than that. It’s not cheap compared to normal tarmac.

The cheap stuff will always be like that it never sets can run over it a million times with the Wacker and leave it years and still it's no different to how it comes out the bag it should not be used for anything more than a small patch in straight trafficked areas , not a turning area Ultra Crete tubs are slightly better but the best stuff is viafix comes in an air sealed tub once the seals popped it sets like concrete and is stronger than the surrounding tarmac.
The worrying thing is the council's have started buying the real cheap stuff by the arctic load for pothole repairs

doobin

doobin

The cheap stuff will always be like that it never sets can run over it a million times with the Wacker and leave it years and still it's no different to how it comes out the bag it should not be used for anything more than a small patch in straight trafficked areas , not a turning area Ultra Crete tubs are slightly better but the best stuff is viafix comes in an air sealed tub once the seals popped it sets like concrete and is stronger than the surrounding tarmac.
The worrying thing is the council's have started buying the real cheap stuff by the arctic load for pothole repairs
Maybe I’m not buying the cheap stuff? I’ve done plenty of repairs on shagged private drives and ten years later my squares are still as square and flat as they were laid and the drive around them has crumbled.

Granted forklift traffic is a different issue, there are finer grained and stronger resins available for this as you mention.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I've put several bags of B&Q cold lay in a pair of depressions in our drive, years ago ... good as when it was done ... surroundings have sunk further but the 'lays' have stood their ground ... depressions, I'd guess are a badly filled trench, under the tarmac ... could do with a few more bags going in there now .. was laid on a good hot day and hand tamped, with a real old school tamper, back then .... need a.n.other for some more
WP_20150928_14_31_43_Pro.jpg

S

Smiffy

Maybe I’m not buying the cheap stuff? I’ve done plenty of repairs on shagged private drives and ten years later my squares are still as square and flat as they were laid and the drive around them has crumbled.

Granted forklift traffic is a different issue, there are finer grained and stronger resins available for this as you mention.

I would think so. The cheap stuff really is awfully stuff and never sets.

doobin

doobin

I would think so. The cheap stuff really is awfully stuff and never sets.
Maybe the cheap stuff is genuinely temporary- to be easy to remove in a weeks time once they do the proper fill. The stuff I buy is around £12 a bag and sets on contact with air- it’s some kind of resin I think.

S

Smiffy

Maybe the cheap stuff is genuinely temporary- to be easy to remove in a weeks time once they do the proper fill. The stuff I buy is around £12 a bag and sets on contact with air- it’s some kind of resin I think.

Yeah exactly. The cheap stuff is something like £4 a bag. The really good stuff is £30 per 20kg tub

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Ok had a moan to council (it's unit we rent off them) they not happy at all as they only redid that pavement last year ....watch this space...let's see if they can do anything 😏

S

Smiffy

Or 85€ + vat a 25kg tub down here !!
View attachment 47427

This stuff in the tub option is what we use to use at £45 a tub but it is the best stuff going. I did a speed bump repair on an entrance that has had 32t tippers and volumetric mixers screw round on it and it hasn't moved at all. I wouldn't even have expected hot lay to last this long

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

This stuff in the tub option is what we use to use at £45 a tub but it is the best stuff going. I did a speed bump repair on an entrance that has had 32t tippers and volumetric mixers screw round on it and it hasn't moved at all. I wouldn't even have expected hot lay to last this long

Handy to know thanks might need some soon for our own yard 👍