Road signage for HGVs - what's the best wording?

Randla

Randla

Interloper
Where I live is at the end of a long, narrow lane with no turning points outside of resident's driveways and becomes an unadopted bridleway way before it gets to our place. The issue is that off-the-shelf satnavs incorrectly show the bridleway as a through road to the nearest main town. Last January we had a foreign driver with a fully loaded 40' artic end up at the bottom of our drive asking if he could turn round (despite having passed a dead end sign 300 yards earlier). The local parish council have finally OK'd a sign at the crossroads at the top of the lane but one resident is saying he doesn't want a 'not suitable for HGVs' sign as it will prevent deliveries. I'm arguing that it won't on the grounds that pretty much the whole community get planned deliveries on HGVs (from the local builder's merchants, for example) now and it's just to stop random idiots taking a detour. He's countered by saying that he has an HGV licence and if he ignored the suggested wording, even with a planned delivery, he could invalidate his insurance/licence. Is he right and, if so, what's the answer? Two suggestions had been made (by other residents) - 'not suitable for long vehicles' and 'no through road'.

Herding cats would be easier🤯

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
'No through road' makes sense to me.
Or no access to (insert next road name here).

S

Smiffy

Where I live is at the end of a long, narrow lane with no turning points outside of resident's driveways and becomes an unadopted bridleway way before it gets to our place. The issue is that off-the-shelf satnavs incorrectly show the bridleway as a through road to the nearest main town. Last January we had a foreign driver with a fully loaded 40' artic end up at the bottom of our drive asking if he could turn round (despite having passed a dead end sign 300 yards earlier). The local parish council have finally OK'd a sign at the crossroads at the top of the lane but one resident is saying he doesn't want a 'not suitable for HGVs' sign as it will prevent deliveries. I'm arguing that it won't on the grounds that pretty much the whole community get planned deliveries on HGVs (from the local builder's merchants, for example) now and it's just to stop random idiots taking a detour. He's countered by saying that he has an HGV licence and if he ignored the suggested wording, even with a planned delivery, he could invalidate his insurance/licence. Is he right and, if so, what's the answer? Two suggestions had been made (by other residents) - 'not suitable for long vehicles' and 'no through road'.

Herding cats would be easier🤯

He's talking out his arse
Unsuitable for hgv's means it's not a good idea
Most the villages where I live are inaccessible without passing one and many through roads are labelled with it
The legal one is 7 5t except for access
Tbh that is what you want at the top of the road
And simply tell the delivery service that you have to go past it
Noone pays any attention to the unsuitable for hgv's as you can almost always get through it's just tight

Flying Torquewrench

Flying Torquewrench

Your neighbour is talking out of his backside. The sign is white on blue which is only advisory and NOT enforceable. The photo below shows an extract out of a Parish meeting regarding unsuitable for HGV roads in the Parish. The text below was provided by the local police force.

329CB79D-1455-449C-8768-1B9DBF036A4A.jpeg

Flying Torquewrench

Flying Torquewrench

@Smiffy has a very valid point with his last sentence. Nobody pays any attention to these signs so it won’t solve the issue.
You might be better of with ‘HGV‘s prohibited‘ red ringed sign with an ‘ except for access’ sign underneath.

We live on a road that is unsuitable for HGV’s. It is too narrow with a lot of overhanging trees. In addition the lane makes a hard 90 degree turn at the bottom of our field. A 7.5 tonner can get past but that is the biggest you can get round the corner. You would be amazed how many lorries come trundling down the hill till they get to the corner and then realise that they can’t get round the corner. They end up reversing back to the main road which is about 1/2 miles away on a lane that is barely wide enough for a lorry.

A few years ago we had one bloke in an 8 wheeled tipper truck who just pushed through. His off side rear wheels touched the curb on the inside corner of a left hand turn. Our mature 6 feet high and 3 feet wide hedge disappeared under the middle of his lorry. He took out a good 50 feet of hedge. Cost them thousands to replant as I wanted it restored to how it was and not some 2 foot high young hedge plants.

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk
Unsuitable for HGVS doesn't invalidate any insurance etc. Man is speaking out of his arse.

Unsuitable means exactly that. "This road may not be suitable for all HGVs." The driver should then use his/her discretion.

The man in question is being a bellend. Enough said. Push for the unsuitable for HGVs and I'd also push for a unsuitable for motor vehicles Sign..... Because a bridleway is not a road

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
put a 3T limit sign up ... will stop just about everything bar cars ..... we've a few of those HGV sat nav signs around here ... work most of the time