Ram repair advice

Furniss

Furniss

Mini digger dipper ram apparently had a pinhole that dripped oil, by the look of the weld it looks like it may have been a crack but im guessing, anyhow it was supposedly repaired with a mig welder - but after 15hrs of use and its pissing out from where two runs of weld meet :mad:

Was it a valid way to attempt to repair a ram with a mig like that ? is it worth me pulling seals back out of cylinder and either attempting another weld ?
or is it scrap ?

Should have plenty of time to attempt a repair if its do-able .... we are not going to be allowed to work because of this Virus for 45 days apparently :eek:
ram bodge.jpg

Last edited:
C

Canal Navvy

I'd say it's been repair welded many times already and isn't going to get any better without changing the barrel

Furniss

Furniss

I'd say it's been repair welded many times already and isn't going to get any better without changing the barrel
O.K cheers - on the look out for a barrel then :rolleyes:
I thought the thing had had the stilsons on it more than fecking once.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
agreed .... that union looks to have been welded/replaced at least once before
I'd whip it off, strip it, take the port fitting off flush, then grind it all back to parent material
if it is cracked, vee it, weld it up and refit a new port union.
for the time it takes (and sounds like you're going to have plenty of it),it is worth the try/effort ..... got to be a significant saving on a replacement.
shouldn't take that long at all TBH

Furniss

Furniss

Only have a stick welder Graham - going to need something a bit more gentle isnt it ?

T whiting

T whiting

I'd do as Graham surggests take the cap off and pull the rod out plug the barrel end then cut the fitting off and grind it well back then weld a new fitting on that mig weld looks like it's quite cold where someone's tried to do it with the seals still in the ram

Furniss

Furniss

At the risk of sounding stupid - will the stick weld it or does it need a mig ? is it thin the barrel material ? and do I risk either blowing it to bits or distorting it with the stick ?

Never had a similar problem before;

Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
At the risk of sounding stupid - will the stick weld it or does it need a mig ? is it thin the barrel material ? and do I risk either blowing it to bits or distorting it with the stick ?

Never had a similar problem before;
Stick will be fine(done a few👍) tube wall will be 4 or 5mm thick like said vee it back but don’t break through ( to save you re honing the tube)

V8Druid

V8Druid

as said Kevin ... very do-able ... make sure everything is clean .... plenty of carb cleaner on the crack - if there is one - to flush any oil out then a light flash over with a flame - plumber's blow lamp'd do, just to clean it out of any residue ... don't get it too hot - touchable ... weld the crack first then re-fit a port fitting
remember clean, CLEAN,CLEAN or the weld will 'gas'

C

Canal Navvy

Definitely a port off job. I'd be grinding the tube as back to original as I could and then polishing it with a flap disc, it'll be a lot easier to spot cracks then. Once you've put some heat in with a weld you'll spot where all the previous "repairs" and further cracks are by the colour changes.
I generally prefer using a stick welder for plant repairs (though i'd use T.I.G. for this)

Furniss

Furniss

I dropped it off to a local firm he wasnt at all enthusiastic about a repair, kind of wish I had had a go myself but was busy this morning trying to organise the shut down,anyhow pick it up this aft and see what hes done :unsure:

Madness over here - no supplies - no inspectors to sign off work - everything has stopped.

Only plus is the goverment have instructed banks not to draw on business loans and tax office has been stopped taking its monthly direct debit on social charges.

Proper clusterfuck - first dry week for 6 months too :cry:

V8Druid

V8Druid

I dropped it off to a local firm he wasnt at all enthusiastic about a repair, kind of wish I had had a go myself but was busy this morning trying to organise the shut down,anyhow pick it up this aft and see what hes done :unsure:

Madness over here - no supplies - no inspectors to sign off work - everything has stopped.

Only plus is the goverment have instructed banks not to draw on business loans and tax office has been stopped taking its monthly direct debit on social charges.

Proper clusterfuck - first dry week for 6 months too :cry:
should o' dropped it round to Chez Druid Kev ;):giggle:

Furniss

Furniss

should o' dropped it round to Chez Druid Kev ;):giggle:
I picked it up and hes just snottted a bit more over top - said he didnt recommend trying cutting it off and welding another on :rolleyes:
anyhow hes pressure tested it and see how we go.
Been quoted £620 plus vat for a new ram - but cant get it delivered due to the 30 day EU ban o_O

CPS

CPS

If its cracked I cant see it being a successful repair if I'm honest. Speaking from experience.
It looks like Kubota, I got a kubota barrel from the dealers once for a good price so could be worth it in the long run.

Furniss

Furniss

They told me barrel was as expensive as the whole ram at PVDOBSONS :unsure:

V8Druid

V8Druid

I picked it up and hes just snottted a bit more over top - said he didnt recommend trying cutting it off and welding another on :rolleyes:
anyhow hes pressure tested it and see how we go.
Been quoted £620 plus vat for a new ram - but cant get it delivered due to the 30 day EU ban o_O
KNOB ..... EXTRORDNIAIRE :mad::mad: .......
if you can get it to me I'll give it a go for you, but TBH ... with the port cut off with a thin disc, low and it all cleaned up, properly, vee-ed and welded, I'd be well disappointed, if a good repair could not be achieved by yourself Boyo ... as Mog said, he's done 'em and so have I, many times, for the hyd guys across the road from my old workshop ... they were always back and fore, getting summat repaired/fixed

Furniss

Furniss

Well you all were right (y) - the bodged up weld on the ram didnt last ... ordered another this afternoon :mad:
I

Furniss

Furniss

Replacement new ram came today - had a look around the port at the weled because thats where the other had gone and erm .... hopefully just a bit of the weld that hasnt been flooded with paint :unsure:
KUBRAM1.jpg
KUBRAM1.jpg
KUBRAM2.jpg
KUBRAM2.jpg