Plant trailers

R

Russell

What are good makes of plant trailers? My initial thoughts are Ifor's hold money the best, is that the case? I like the look of the gh1054 but there could be a long wait for one. What other makes are good and hold their money?

M

Monkeybusiness

What are good makes of plant trailers? My initial thoughts are Ifor's hold money the best, is that the case? I like the look of the gh1054 but there could be a long wait for one. What other makes are good and hold their money?
I think the Ifor GH series are pretty much the best out there. I bought a new Brian James DiggerPlant 3.5 tonner but it keeps cracking/needs regular welding (and it’s not working at capacity). No such issues on the 2.7 tonne GH94s carrying the same kit (though we do run them on double leaf-springs as fitted to the 3.5 tonne range).

S

Steve

I have had a few Ifor's now & I think they are ok, as you say they hold there money well & I think it's worth changing regular. I have a gh1054 hd at the moment I am pleased with it so far & wouldn't hesitate to have another. Having said this I haven't tried any others.

Regy53

Regy53

I like cake
Yes I also have a ifor 10x5 beaver tail ramp very nice trailer . I never use it but handy to have

indespension is a good brand

GazCro

GazCro

Lot of people slate ifors but for the price they are i don't think you can go wrong with them. Load them right and keep tyre pressures right and away you go.

doobin

doobin

I have to say, if I was only running a micro and tipper trailer, I'd keep that just for versatilty! What is it you don't like about the setup that makes you want to change to a plant trailer?

Plant trailers only do one thing- they do it very well but are severely limited for everything else.

R

Russell

I have to say, if I was only running a micro and tipper trailer, I'd keep that just for versatilty! What is it you don't like about the setup that makes you want to change to a plant trailer?

Plant trailers only do one thing- they do it very well but are severely limited for everything else.
I know what your saying and I have given it a lot of consideration but it is such a faf.
Loading trailer:-
1. Remove back
2. Remove side
3. Put ramps at back
4. load digger
5. Put ramps at side
6. Load dumper
7. Strap digger down
8. Strap ramps to digger/ ladder rack ( looks dodgy and a bit stupid)
9. Put side on
10. Put back on
11. Strap dumper on
12. Drive away and hope it doesn't fall over if I drive over a dip in the road.

On top of that I'm sure shifting muck kills my old cars. The shogun was lovely until I shifted 20 out and 20 tone back on a job, I think that blew the head gasket. The disco td5 couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding let alone 3.5 tone. And whilst the range rover has loads of power (300hp💪:cool:) I don't want to break it because I really like it, and it's £100 a tyre so don't want to go up the tip.

Last edited:
GazCro

GazCro

I have both so best of both worlds i guess. Plant trailer does most of digger moving tbh because as you say it's less hassle. Part of that is because its a gh94 so narrow and fits in places easier. Bigger plant trailers are wide and long they need a lot more room to manoeuvre than dropside ifors etc

GazCro

GazCro

Is that particularly dear? Blendworth want same and Barlow are £2580 and all the way up north and don't have any
The gh94 is £400 more than a lad just paid up near me, so i guess the bigger ones are a similar amount more. Depends on your location and how far you are prepared to travel as to what you end up paying with trailers.

doobin

doobin

I know what your saying and I have given it a lot of consideration but it is such a faf.
Loading trailer:-
1. Remove back
2. Remove side
3. Put ramps at back
4. load digger
5. Put ramps at side
6. Load dumper
7. Strap digger down
8. Strap ramps to digger/ ladder rack ( looks dodgy and a bit stupid)
9. Put side on
10. Put back on
11. Strap dumper on
12. Drive away and hope it doesn't fall over if I drive over a dip in the road.

On top of that I'm sure shifting muck kills my old cars. The shogun was lovely until I shifted 20 out and 20 tone back on a job, I think that blew the head gasket. The disco td5 couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding let alone 3.5 tone. And whilst the range rover has loads of power (300hp) I don't want to break it because I really like it, and it's £100 a tyre so don't want to go up the tip.
Do what I do with loading the micro onto my LDV tipper. Load it up, then stick the ramps under the micro and drop the blade and bucket onto the ramps. Then just four tie downs with short ratchets to internal die downs in the four corners (welded them in myself).

I don't need to remove back or sides to load my tipper trailer.

Also, if you have to load the dumper from the side then you've no chance of doing that with a plant trailer!

hiluxman

hiluxman

H
Could have them a while at those prices.
Yes and hes had them advertised since november. I bought a new ifor gh1054 for good bit less.
Ive got a brian james digger plant and that has been totally faultless in the 4 years its been here.

R

Russell

I know, the ifor tipper tailgate is a rubbish design and has to be completely removed for everything except tipping aggregate.
My thoughts for loading dumper horizontal were to get a 10foot trailer so I could drive it straight on then pivot 90degrees. I do need to check the diagonal measurement of the dumper

R

Russell

Yes and hes had them advertised since november. I bought a new ifor gh1054 for good bit less.
Ive got a brian james digger plant and that has been totally faultless in the 4 years its been here.
Where from?

Antony Holmes

Antony Holmes

I have nugent plant trailer had it 4 years and been used a lot tows grate and lasted well, I did brake a spring back in the winter after a blowout but on it, about £35.00 for the spring and had it changed in 20 minuets I have put a couple of bump stops on it but at £3.00 ish each I can live with that cant comment on resale as I haven looked.

D

DaveDCB

I have always ran ifor trailers, latest is a GX126 With full width ramp, far too big for a micro! Added mesh sides onto it along with a cargo net so you can load it right up with whatever you want. Like mentioned they hold money well, I had a gx106 ran it for 10 years, never put a spanner to it! Partex’d it for 1k less Than I paid and it needed - tyres, brakes , and a new ply floor!

Danny

Danny

Im looking at adding a GX126 double not tri axle so i can tow my dumpers around coming in at £2.9k with full width