Plant hire owner insurance

P

Plantagenet

A question has come up on another forum for tractor hire. How does your insurance policy work if you are getting customers to insure while on hire, is the plant hirers insurance just for when the machine is at hire centre or being transported? As you can’t have something covered twice for the same thing. What then happens if the hire company wants to use the machine themselves?

B

Brendan

A question has come up on another forum for tractor hire. How does your insurance policy work if you are getting customers to insure while on hire, is the plant hirers insurance just for when the machine is at hire centre or being transported? As you can’t have something covered twice for the same thing. What then happens if the hire company wants to use the machine themselves?
No idea, I know when I renewed my policy they asked if hired out.
There was a story about a lad who hired a digger from tp but didn't take the insurance out, it got stolen and they were chasing for a new machine from him, no idea how it ended though. So would assume from that insurance only covers their kit in their depots unless the insurance is paid for as an add-on or they have their own hired in plant policy.
Best to wait till Tuesday and give a few companies a call

Last edited:
Nick...

Nick...

In my experience it’s impossible to hire a machine without proof of insurance before hand.I think the likes of travis,jewson etc offer insurance on top of their hire rate for the weekend Gardner who wants to modify their garden but don’t know it’s obligatory.
nick...