Phone line

Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
As some are aware I bought a plot of land last year and just about have it useable now, fenced all round, 3 ph electric supply, water, fowl drains even got an electric sliding gate that opens with a phone call👍now I’ve got a land line onto site (this was the biggest and dearest job) so now need a provider to connect me, all I need is internet to run my cameras, who are you using as when I’ve looked there is that many options and deals my head is fried😩😢

sjs5060

sjs5060

Mog we don't have cable and found the Internet down the phone line shite, I've now got a three mobile router, works off s SIM card the same as your phone and it's the best broadband I've ever had. Think it's about £22 a month

Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
Mog we don't have cable and found the Internet down the phone line shite, I've now got a three mobile router, works off s SIM card the same as your phone and it's the best broadband I've ever had. Think it's about £22 a month
Wish I’d known that earlier would of saved openreach ripping out my newly planted black thorn hedge:mad: and digging a hole big enough to bury a shipping container 😳 f****ng halfwits I’d already found there ducking and back filled with sand for them while I was finding the electric cables😳

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
please tell me a lot more Ste ??
currently with SSE @Mogman , after taking the greatest of pleasure in telling BT to **** right off, after years of miserable service ...... £19 a month line rental and two quid a month for unlimited BB ..... don't have a phone plugged into the line ... just the router and would love summat that'd do away with the line too (y) :cool:

V8Druid

V8Druid

Just looked @sjs5060 ...... no 4G coverage here :cry::cry::cry: ... looks good though ... and all for a fixed 21 quid a month .... can't wait :giggle::giggle:

Gecko

Gecko

18 months ago, I installed a 3/4g router as I wanted a cheap, low use connection. I won't talk speeds, companies or costs because it's not helpful (it's in Oz),but it certainly works well.
Due to the almost unique Oz radio bands, the dlink 921 was the pick at the time, but has been superseded since then.
These also support DSL with 3/4G failover, but work fine with only a SIM card.

The 921 has removable 4G antennas allowing a roof mounted antenna to be substituted if the signal is marginal.

F

fred

If and its a big if, you can get at least 2 bars of 4G signal then a 4G router is really good. Put a cheapy pay as you go voda sim that has unlimited internet and you good to go.

Router

voda deal

1577872856627.png

V8Druid

V8Druid

If and its a big if, you can get at least 2 bars of 4G signal then a 4G router is really good. Put a cheapy pay as you go voda sim that has unlimited internet and you good to go.

Router

voda deal

View attachment 11177
how do you tell then @fred ?? is it a special 4g phone .... I always have full bars here .... can see the mast across the valley from me patio ... but not sure what sort of phone signal I use??? :unsure: ...... having looked at the link that Ste put up last night it says there is no 4G here :cry::cry:

F

fred

it shows you on your phone normally. Do a speed test on a mobile and you soon see what speed you can get.

Regy53

Regy53

I like cake
We use 4g at the yard for all our internet. It’s as good if not better than landline. Apart from a little dearer

V8Druid

V8Druid

it shows you on your phone normally. Do a speed test on a mobile and you soon see what speed you can get.

I don't have internet enabled on me phone ... too bloody small to be of use to me .... and rarely have a need for it ... will get one of the kids to tell me next time they're here ;) (y)

D

DaveDCB

I’m considering this.. I didn’t know if it was suitable for running cameras from but I guess my question has been answered 👍🏼

doobin

doobin

I’m considering this.. I didn’t know if it was suitable for running cameras from but I guess my question has been answered 👍🏼

Mobile broadband is only suitable for running modern cameras that use peer to peer protocol. It's not suitable for the majority of IP cameras that require a fixed IP, as the IP is always changing.

F

fred

Mobile broadband is only suitable for running modern cameras that use peer to peer protocol. It's not suitable for the majority of IP cameras that require a fixed IP, as the IP is always changing.

can get around that pretty easy, the router keeps it updated automatically.

Gecko

Gecko

It also depends what you want to do with the camera; if you need to see what it sees, you need to be able to find its IP (dyndns is ideal for this).
I've got one setup so it triggers on movement, takes a 1min vid and emails me a still. This setup is light on data and I don't need to know the IP.

S

Smiffy

One thing to note is if you haven't already done so you might have to buy an IP address
Company I used to work for set up a fancy remote view system but Everytime the phone or power dropped out the system reset to a new up address and remote viewing had to be set up again
Or atleast I think that was how it was explained to me not great at computers just know the boss would be in the yard all times of the day and night as the cameras had dropped out until he sorted it

Gecko

Gecko

Everytime the phone or power dropped out the system reset to a new ip address a ...
That's exactly the problem a dynamic IP service (like dyndns) is setup to solve.
Some ISP's will charge you extra for a static IP (what you describe) which is another viable solution.