Painting new galvanised metal

D

Diggerdavey

Hi, I have had purchased a galvanised metal staircase which I wish to paint. I have purchased hammerite straight to galvanise metal paint but on reading the instructions on the tin it will not adhere to fresh galvanising.
Would anybody be able to suggest a good brushable etch primer that would be available to purchase in the current covid climate?
Many thanks

M

Monkeybusiness

Hi, I have had purchased a galvanised metal staircase which I wish to paint. I have purchased hammerite straight to galvanise metal paint but on reading the instructions on the tin it will not adhere to fresh galvanising.
Would anybody be able to suggest a good brushable etch primer that would be available to purchase in the current covid climate?
Many thanks
I think you need something called t-wash - it ages the galv instantly.

D

Diggerdavey

I think you need something called t-wash - it ages the galv instantly.
Thank you for your very swift reply. Would you happen to know any stockists that may be open or delivery? Really just looking for things to keep me occupied whilst locked down

M

Monkeybusiness

Thank you for your very swift reply. Would you happen to know any stockists that may be open or delivery? Really just looking for things to keep me occupied whilst locked down
Not a clue sorry. I only know this through having some truck parts galvanised a couple of years ago and it was something the galvanisers did - a local blacksmith also had it in a bottle so I guess it is available off the shelf.

D

Diggerdavey

Not a clue sorry. I only know this through having some truck parts galvanised a couple of years ago and it was something the galvanisers did - a local blacksmith also had it in a bottle so I guess it is available off the shelf.
No problem. I will have a look round. I appreciate your help

hiluxman

hiluxman

The fencers we used to go on hire to used to put a blue solution on it with a cloth and then paint away. Sorry im no further help with it