old military vehicles converted for agricultural and forestry use

barracane

barracane

old military vehicles converted for agricultural and forestry use::
I would like to know if you think it is convenient to reuse old disused off-road vehicles which are now on leave to transform them into vehicles to be used in the countryside to carry out agricultural work. Has anyone converted an old military truck or similar vehicle for agricultural use? it's convenient? let me know thanks if yes which vehicle suits the purpose more?

craig

craig

It was once common practice, for ex army trucks with big winches to be converted into forestry vehicles, by putting a fabricated jib on the back, to run the winch cable over like aec matador, and militants, Bedford MJ`s, and some of the later daf 4 tonners.
AEC Matador Timber Tractor | AEC Matador Timber Tractor Hayw… | Flickr
I would guess, when it was common to convert the ex army trucks, they could be bought very cheaply at military dispersal auctions. Nowadays the old trucks have a strong collectors following so would not be so cheap to buy, plus I would imagine if employing someone now, insurances and inspectors would want to see a CE mark, ruling out a lot of home made stuff.

barracane

barracane

nice that crane I think old scammel am I wrong? you would need a vehicle like unimog, which goes everywhere, compact agile powerful that climbs steep slopes, to collect wood, transport tools and material, like unimog I think it is ideal that it goes to places where there are no tracks and does not get stuck. maybe . an all to do everywhere and in every condition, without wings of course otherwise it would be "a bird", excuse the stupid irony

B

Brendan

Shb used to have some ex mod kit, like 6x6 off road hiabs

barracane

barracane

if you can kindly attach some photos, i am curious to see how you have set up these ex military vehicles to adapt them to your working needs. thank you

1602513381495.png
1602513411986.png
1602513488572.png
1602513551058.png
1602513514042.png

craig

craig

if you can kindly attach some photos, i am curious to see how you have set up these ex military vehicles to adapt them to your working needs. thank you

View attachment 18389View attachment 18390View attachment 18391View attachment 18393View attachment 18392
The Unimog`s would be quite easy to attach agricultural linkages to, as they just bolt on, providing they have got the hydraulic pump, tank, and valves fitted all ready, again these are bolt on, but a bit more involved. Having a pto is possible again, but depending on the original build spec, or how much you want to spend, determines good it would be. A factory build agricultural machine would have a dual clutch, with a hand operated leaver, giving `live drive` you can clutch the implement or Unimog separately, A lot of the military ones have a pto gear box fitted, but often only a single clutch, so you press the clutch pedal, and both the drive to the wheels and the drive to the pto stops together.

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Always fancied one of these...very handy all rounder...and when the lefties get into power I'll sling a .50cal up top and ride out in style.🖕
30_001.jpeg

pettsy

pettsy

A friend of mine has this,Currently being converted into an agricultural line spreader to go with his big unimog

9E54C345-5D31-420A-9424-D4CFA1689A72.jpeg

barracane

barracane

thanks for your valuable intervention, thanks for your suggestions. to enter cultivated fields and dirt tracks I believe that the unimog is unbeatable. the tractor with trailer when unloaded wags its tail better than a truck in my opinion.
1602567578472.png
1602567605720.png
ACM 90

1602567709890.png
cp70

Charlie

Charlie

Always fancied one of these...very handy all rounder...and when the lefties get into power I'll sling a .50cal up top and ride out in style.🖕
View attachment 18400

That's in Brightwells' auction tomorrow (14th). Don't seem a lot of interest in them looking at the bids so far!

Brightwells have now taken over from Withams for all ex MOD vehicle sales. Tidy contract to win I believe as you pay the MOD a percentage of whatever the item sells for.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
That's in Brightwells' auction tomorrow (14th). Don't seem a lot of interest in them looking at the bids so far!

Brightwells have now taken over from Withams for all ex MOD vehicle sales. Tidy contract to win I believe as you pay the MOD a percentage of whatever the item sells for.
been there for months Charlie .. was three of 'em last time I looked and a couple of smaller ones too

barracane

barracane

guys excuse me if I disturb, by chance it is not that there are old earthmoving machines of the military genius with little wear that can be bought for little money and by making a few repairs they could return efficient and operational like some backhoe some military mechanical shovel with army winch or under-exploited firefighters with little wear but maybe dated as a year of construction, that it is worthwhile to acquire not old foundry scrap, let me know thanks, they could be good business, maybe parked in some arsenal, thanks

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Been keeping my eye on the Penman's...please leave em alone lads 😉🤫
But some stuff going for silly money...who is buying it id love to know...🤔

Charlie

Charlie

There are a few companies in this country,( I dont know about yours),that sell ex army machines, as you say with low hours, I wouldn't say they are bargain's though.
A couple of examples
Don't know what deal Brightwells have but previously everything vehicular came through Withams. I know I've got the list of responsible disposal companies somewhere. My Wolf landrover came from Jacksons who in turn got it from Withams. Nearly full list of ex military dealers here, everything from a field gun or battle tank down to a tyre :)