New E10 Petrol

O

Old Operator

Petrol had 5% ethanol in it, this has doubled to 10% I checked that the commonly used Honda GX engines can run on up to 10% - as I have a Manor digger.
I do not know about other common makes i.e. Kohler, Suzuki Robin, Briggs & Stratton, as found on many whackers, generators etc. My Berlingo petrol van is OK as post yr 2000. My Asda is only stocking E10 & diesel - I checked all pumps. Some filling stations will have fuel to suit older cars mowers etc, yet another hassle -I expect I need it for my Briggs rotavator.

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Petrol had 5% ethanol in it, this has doubled to 10% I checked that the commonly used Honda GX engines can run on up to 10% - as I have a Manor digger.
I do not know about other common makes i.e. Kohler, Suzuki Robin, Briggs & Stratton, as found on many whackers, generators etc. My Berlingo petrol van is OK as post yr 2000. My Asda is only stocking E10 & diesel - I checked all pumps. Some filling stations will have fuel to suit older cars mowers etc, yet another hassle -I expect I need it for my Briggs rotavator.
Aspen for me now...yes it's a ripoff but hassle free . Not sure about my bigger engines yet like mower tho.😏

Last edited:
craig

craig

If you can get get it Esso synergy+ 99 is ethanol free.
My local Esso doesn't stock it though:(

What’s in our Synergy Supreme+ 99 premium petrol​

Our Synergy Supreme+ 99 petrol has more cleaning power than our regular petrol – and includes molecules whose job it is to reduce the friction in your engine helping the moving parts work more efficiently.*​

Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.​

There’s currently no requirement for renewable fuel, like ethanol, to be present in super unleaded petrol although this could change in the future, in which case we would comply with any new legislation.​

D

DaveDCB

Not had to buy petrol in a while, but I need to buy super unleaded for my mower/stihl saws now? 🤦‍♂️

A

Alan caddy

Our local filling stations put out notification today about en10 petrol, as our fuel in by boat the petrol here will still be en0 as the ethanol doesn't travel well by boat,

modelman093

modelman093

Shell V power or BP Ultimate will both be 5% or less for the foreseeable future. I read to day that Tesco 99 octane is available in some areas but its a 20 mile round trip to find out!

GazCro

GazCro

Shell V power or BP Ultimate will both be 5% or less for the foreseeable future. I read to day that Tesco 99 octane is available in some areas but its a 20 mile round trip to find out!
Nearest fuel station to me was bp and changed to shell about 4/5 years ago. Have used ultimate and then v power for over 10 years in saws/ small engines anyway its peanuts cost difference for the amount i use.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
will be interesting to see what our local village garage stocks in future .... Super I'd wager ... most of the petrol vehicles round here'll be going elsewhere otherwise, I'd guess ..... apparently the ethanol ****s up all yer rubber fuel lines - rapido. :mad: :mad:

Gunners

Gunners

Nearest fuel station to me was bp and changed to shell about 4/5 years ago. Have used ultimate and then v power for over 10 years in saws/ small engines anyway its peanuts cost difference for the amount i use.
You’re earning too much money!
Or does the increased performance of your wacker plate now running on super, bring in the cash! 😆

Honestly guys do you really think it’s going to be an issue in small engines long term? I hadn’t really considered it before now and don’t know enough about fuel chemistry to understand what the damage might be. I just thought it would “go off” faster than normal petrol?

S

Smiffy

Or does the increased performance of your wacker plate now running on super, bring in the cash! 😆

Honestly guys do you really think it’s going to be an issue in small engines long term? I hadn’t really considered it before now and don’t know enough about fuel chemistry to understand what the damage might be. I just thought it would “go off” faster than normal petrol?

I think the worry is for plastic and rubber components in the fuel system deteriorating quicker.
But I guess you would have to weigh up the extra cost of the fuel v replacement fuel lines and carb rebuild kit every few years.
The other thing with running Aspen is apparently it is more pleasant experience if using the equipment were fumes tend to linger but really I think in those situations a lot of equipment can be replaced with electric or battery now which wasn't an option a few years ago

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

I think the worry is for plastic and rubber components in the fuel system deteriorating quicker.
But I guess you would have to weigh up the extra cost of the fuel v replacement fuel lines and carb rebuild kit every few years.
The other thing with running Aspen is apparently it is more pleasant experience if using the equipment were fumes tend to linger but really I think in those situations a lot of equipment can be replaced with electric or battery now which wasn't an option a few years ago
Exactly. Use aspen when milling on my bigger saws, sat a few inches from the exhaust for a few hours it makes a big difference but it's not cheap.

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

But if what the Druid says it true, and it will degrade rubber fuel lines and other rubber components within the fuel system, then it might be an issue?

6feetdown

2stroke with super unleaded, hadn't even thought of equipment 🤦‍♂️

A

Alan caddy

It also absosbs water so not good for cars with metal fuel tanks if lying around, that's why they are staying with e0 here, the red diesel up here is also old school with very little bio oil just road fuel with die added in lorry before delivery

GazCro

GazCro

I've bought v power

Part the reason i buy the v power or equivalent is storage life. I may be wrong but i expect much like the standard cheaper at the pump diesel its not that the dearer fuel is necessarily better but much cleaner with less crap blended into it. End of the day for the amount of petrol i use in saws and a wacker 10p a litre more isn't worth worrying about, pulling ur shoulder out trying to get a hot saw to restart on the other hand and thinking is it the cheap petrol?

Gecko

Gecko

.... apparently the ethanol ****s up all yer rubber fuel lines - rapido. :mad:
Yep - unless the rubber is rated for ethanol, it will go hard and leak at the joins.

The moisture carried by the ethanol can cause corrosion in all engines, but it's particularly bad in cheap engines like the chondas because the protective plating / surface treatment is so thin it stand no chance.

The best you can do is turn the fuel tap off and run the carby dry.

Bob

Bob

when they started putting in bio in to diesel in my area a few years ago some farmers had problems with their combines when they went to start them up at start of new season .I did hear of one farmer who had to put on a new engine diesel pump as old one was blocked up so after that had to put in an additive to stop that happening.Dont know if they is an additive for petrol