Modern Inertia starter motors.

JD450A

JD450A

Rough as a Dog
Out of interest has anyone else had issues with the modern Inertia starter motors?

We have booted 2 Nippon starter motors within 12 months. Supposedly its down to a missing tooth on the ring gear, but the original fitted to the machine died of natural causes (burned out contacts),after about 6 months the replacement went down with the same..... sent back under warranty and the email from them blamed it on the missing tooth.

Yesterday the warranty item fired the entire inertia mechanism into the flywheel, IMHO fucking it up completely..... after inspecting said starter I have found the bolts on the retaining plate had sheared previously and the three tapped holes had simply been redrilled.

We won't be buying anymore of this Nippon shit now. Hitachi seem to be the same. No point IMHO in dealing with CBL parts on it IMHO as last time as said it was blamed on the ring gear (which they only knew about due to me deciding to price one at the same time)

Opinions fellas....

(We repaired the fucked one by tapping the holes out to M6, installing the Inertia unit from the original fucked started....... That's engineering)

Attachments

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
that's a 'high energy', pre-engage surely Rory, not inertia? :unsure: .... WTF are the seals gone out of that bearing :oops::confused: dry as a chip :( ...... difficult to see exactly from the first pic but that ring gear not looking too healthy and I'd guess that the starter is not throwing far enough into the ring gear - driving on only half engaged teeth. possibly the fault of the damaged ring gear not allowing the dog to fully engage? ................ however ...

Had a similar fault on my 4t hyster .... it'd kill starters in 6-8 months and eventually got pissed off with the prices/cost .... always the same fault ... half worn teeth. ..... ring gear eventually ended up the same so the motor (4.326 perky) and tranny came out - easier in one lump - new ring gear fitted and whilst I had it on the bench I had a damned good look at the starter mechanism.:rolleyes:
transpired that the spacer plate between the bell housing and starter was the wrong one for the set up and 8mm too thick so starter dog had only ever been engaging half teeth since new ..... changed the spacer for the right one from Hyster and never changed the starter again, plus it started like it had never done before ........ such a simple thing, but'd never have found it with out some very careful measuring and good access to the issue on the bench;) ...... got some pix of the issue somewhere :unsure:

JD450A

JD450A

Rough as a Dog
that's a 'high energy', pre-engage surely Rory, not inertia? :unsure: .... WTF are the seals gone out of that bearing :oops::confused: dry as a chip :( ...... difficult to see exactly from the first pic but that ring gear not looking too healthy and I'd guess that the starter is not throwing far enough into the ring gear - driving on only half engaged teeth. possibly the fault of the damaged ring gear not allowing the dog to fully engage? ................ however ...
Yes high energy bollocks. used to calling it a inertia as that's what my adopted fitter likes to call them. (I suppose the engagement methods are similar).

Rang gear is fair buggered now due to the dog, shaft and end plate being launched into it and staying there after the engine started.

No seals in the bearings to begin with.......

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Yes high energy bollocks. used to calling it a inertia as that's what my adopted fitter likes to call them. (I suppose the engagement methods are similar).

Rang gear is fair buggered now due to the dog, shaft and end plate being launched into it and staying there after the engine started.

No seals in the bearings to begin with.......
well we both know what needs doing there ol' mate ..... new ring gear and starter required :(:( ..... can't believe that that bearing runs dry ?? :confused::unsure: ... especially in such a shitty environment ??? :oops:
not a lover of the 'high energy'reduction, tiny motor starters :mad: .... just lots more to go wrong and higher odds on it happening more often :((n)... and even bigger bills when it does :cry::cry: