Marsh ensign treatment plant blower

Giles

Giles

Installed April 2018 blower stopped working, light on but no blow.
Ordered new one £140 but seems like should last longer than 3 and a bit years

Any one had any experience with them, brought blower home to open it have a look at them, this one lives in the tank on a shelf at top. Others I’ve done got the separate blower box to keep it out the moist environment in the tank.

blower is et-100a

Attachments

• 4B772F12-79EC-4B1A-A86D-E1A204D0B37E.jpeg
    4B772F12-79EC-4B1A-A86D-E1A204D0B37E.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 137
D

DaveDCB

Replaced loads of them! I’m guessing this is a in-tank version? If the condensation doesn’t kill them it will be when the soakaway backs up in heavy rain , filling the tank up and obviously ruining the motor! All the new marsh tanks finally have a external compressor.

Giles

Giles

Replaced loads of them! I’m guessing this is a in-tank version? If the condensation doesn’t kill them it will be when the soakaway backs up in heavy rain , filling the tank up and obviously ruining the motor! All the new marsh tanks finally have a external compressor.
Only takes foul this, roofs go to 10k litre rain water harvester and surface to another big tank that settles then cross feeds into rain water or overflows, complicated 3 distinct sets of pipes and chambers but could be condensation. Separate blower wasn’t option on this as in field with horses and didn’t want fencing

D

DaveDCB

Yeah always a separate system, but with the rain we’ve been having lately I’ve seen many tanks filling up backwards via the soakaways which are flooded out.. the only real solution is to get the compressor out of the ground and fence it in, or they will have to accept a new compressor every few years..

Giles

Giles

Yeah always a separate system, but with the rain we’ve been having lately I’ve seen many tanks filling up backwards via the soakaways which are flooded out.. the only real solution is to get the compressor out of the ground and fence it in, or they will have to accept a new compressor every few years..
This one thankfully exits to a ditch in the field about 80m away so no soak away, they were getting smell in newly converted house and I was like if plumbers have done proper job on bathrooms there is no way tank smell can get to bathroom. Anyway few phone calls with builder who didn’t know what an air admittance valve was and then his polish plumber turns out they’ve vented that bathroom into a closed void behind shower sounds like no air admittance valve fitted or not sealed properly hence the smell in there.

D

DaveDCB

99% sure there should be a vent stack on the tank side too? ( I haven’t read the instructions for afew years now 🙄)May help with condensation in the tank too?
I used to put carbon filters on them but they caused all sorted of problems, just leave them with a open vent cap now.

Giles

Giles

99% sure there should be a vent stack on the tank side too? ( I haven’t read the instructions for afew years now 🙄)May help with condensation in the tank too?
I used to put carbon filters on them but they caused all sorted of problems, just leave them with a open vent cap now.
Yeah they have a built in vent and emptying lid is non sealed type as well

first inspection chamber at house is main soil stack with roof vent as well

Last edited:
B

bobthebuilder

This one thankfully exits to a ditch in the field about 80m away so no soak away, they were getting smell in newly converted house and I was like if plumbers have done proper job on bathrooms there is no way tank smell can get to bathroom. Anyway few phone calls with builder who didn’t know what an air admittance valve was and then his polish plumber turns out they’ve vented that bathroom into a closed void behind shower sounds like no air admittance valve fitted or not sealed properly hence the smell in there.
An air admittance valve is not a vent ,you will get gas leak thru the u bends ,i dislike air admitance valves ,alway try to put a proper vent in ,and not a tile vent neither ,4 inch pipe up thru the roof

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
An air admittance valve is not a vent ,you will get gas leak thru the u bends ,i dislike air admitance valves ,alway try to put a proper vent in ,and not a tile vent neither ,4 inch pipe up thru the roof
we don't tend to use our upstairs bathroom much and so have to keep the bath and shower u-bends topped up occasionally .. can always tell when it's needed :rolleyes:... we don't have a stack vent (or visible stack) - never been one installed :unsure:.. tank has a non-airtight lid, but always been of the opinion the tank ought to have a vent stack :unsure:o_O ....... but then I'd like to meet some of the muppets that worked on the conversion, for a 'conversation' about some of the remedials I've had to carry out .. especially the leccy who signed off on some of it and the plumber who obviously didn't own a level or have an eye :mad:

B

bobthebuilder

we don't tend to use our upstairs bathroom much and so have to keep the bath and shower u-bends topped up occasionally .. can always tell when it's needed :rolleyes:... we don't have a stack vent (or visible stack) - never been one installed :unsure:.. tank has a non-airtight lid, but always been of the opinion the tank ought to have a vent stack :unsure:o_O ....... but then I'd like to meet some of the muppets that worked on the conversion, for a 'conversation' about some of the remedials I've had to carry out .. especially the leccy who signed off on some of it and the plumber who obviously didn't own a level or have an eye :mad:
problem is ,if it is not vented properly both ends it, will suck the water out of these new fangled shallow traps thus the smell

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
problem is ,if it is not vented properly both ends it, will suck the water out of these new fangled shallow traps thus the smell
think it's more a case of evaporation Bob ... we literally don't use the bath or shower upstairs and takes several weeks before it occurs ....
been here 11.5 years and have never used the bath ... 'cept for the grand kids, which isn't often and I prefer the downstairs shower off the boiler ... t'other's leccy and nowhere near as good :rolleyes:

B

bobthebuilder

think it's more a case of evaporation Bob ... we literally don't use the bath or shower upstairs and takes several weeks before it occurs ....
been here 11.5 years and have never used the bath ... 'cept for the grand kids, which isn't often and I prefer the downstairs shower off the boiler ... t'other's leccy and nowhere near as good :rolleyes:
sorry gra i was reffering a bit to giles with his gas problem.i have a bath upstairs (posh see) never used and it evaporates out of the u bend

Giles

Giles

sorry gra i was reffering a bit to giles with his gas problem.i have a bath upstairs (posh see) never used and it evaporates out of the u bend
Not my problem it’s on the builders we just did the tank and drains as part of the stable complex refurbishment 2 sets of “builders” been in doing conversion of an old barn (got sacked and went to court and another firm who refurb of old farm house they’ve remained amicable but still snagging 1.4 years after move in.

F

fred

put the gutters into the sewer that way you get a free vent pipe!

Furniss

Furniss

Like this?
Yes like that ,with the house side of vent as close to house as possible - lots of houses already have a vent on internal pipework, existing through roof and with a mushroom on or on a soil stack,but if there isnt one then we always add one to ensure à Circulation of air so the system performs better with less odour, if its a concrete tank or system it helps prevent the premature rotting out of the concrete.... I've seen them rotted out in a few years if they are not vented.

House side gets à mushroom and after tank we put a top on like below .... acts like à chimney to draw air down first vent house side, through system and out the second vent.

Screenshot_20211221-180112_Chrome.jpg