Making JCB plastic yellow again ?

P

powercom

Does anyone know how to do it , the rear mudguards on our 2cx had gone almost white , mainly UV Degradation i suppose they have crazing in the surface and where also oxidized They are plastic so I took some very fine wet and dry --- "used wet " to them and its made a big improvement they are now at least mainly yellow but still have some crazing and are along way from being shiny any one got any tips on how to refurbish them and back the aging process up a bit on the yellow plastic on JCB's other then painting them ?

Or do i just need to rub them down for another few Hrs to get them better .

Last edited:
B

Brendan

As said hot air gun like the ones used for stripping paint, generally works better on black, you might get lucky it's hit and miss on other colours plus depends on how much uv damage, so you could end up having to paint them.

GazCro

GazCro

Whatever you do it won't last. If you were to polish them up you'll have to keep doing it regular to keep it.

S

Smiffy

My old boss would polish his older John Deere a once a year with one of those electric polishers made a massive difference they looked new again

D

DaveDCB

My old boss would polish his older John Deere a once a year with one of those electric polishers made a massive difference they looked new again
Go steady on the painted plastic/fibreglass jcb parts, Some of the paint is really thin!

GazCro

GazCro

Tbh painting them is probably the only option if you want them to stay yellow for longer than 5 mins. But if you want it to last it'll either be time consuming (doing it yourself) or not cheap.

T

topkit

I have painted various 3cx plastic mudguards on Project 8 and 12 machines, i usually rub them over with production paper reasonably course to start with then you can fill any dings and deep scraches then rub them over again with a slightly finer grade i use the normal machine enamel paint slightly thined down, be carefull as you will need to give them light coates and build them up otherwise the plastic may react, you can always use an isolater primer first. They always look good afterwards.