Iron Fairy Sapphire 7

Charlie

Charlie

Looking at resurrecting the old crane and have hit my first hurdle! I need to inflate a tyre to 120psi and all my compressors cut out at 90ish. Looked on fleabay and it seems there's nothing over 100psi. Am I'm missing something simple here? Or do I need to delve into the realms of diving compressors?

Cheers, Charlie

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

No, a standard workshop compressor should be easily capable of 120psi, our cuts out at 150iirc.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Looking at resurrecting the old crane and have hit my first hurdle! I need to inflate a tyre to 120psi and all my compressors cut out at 90ish. Looked on fleabay and it seems there's nothing over 100psi. Am I'm missing something simple here? Or do I need to delve into the realms of diving compressors?

Cheers, Charlie

a lot of compressors these days seem to have the pressure cut out switch set around the 100-120 psi :unsure: ..... new one I bought a while back was:confused: ... so ... cover off the pressure switch and adjusted suitably, cured the problem (y) .... the tank was tested for 150psi SWP, so no issues. :cool:

my Sapphire 7 Charlie .......:giggle:

rapier 7 fairy pic.s_14.jpg
rapier 7 fairy pic.s_15.jpg
rapier 7 fairy pic.s_09.jpg
rapier 7 fairy pic.s_11.jpg
rapier 7 fairy pic.s_12.jpg
rapier 7 fairy pic.s_13.jpg
rapier 7 fairy pic.s_01.jpg

Perky 6354, 5 sp box (rare as!!), :whistle:
rapier 7 fairy pic.s_18.jpg

1200 hrs and about 400 kilks .... ex ministry then bought by a big pharmaceutical co. locally and never left their site ... 'til I bought it .... did one lift a month, had never been road registered and 'garaged' its entire life --- was a peach ;)(y)
rapier 7 fairy pic.s_26.jpg

only came out when I needed to use it, or it was in the way :rolleyes:

Charlie

Charlie

Awesome @V8Druid , looks in better nick than mine at the moment. Clutch went on it's last job but managed to roll it down the slope on the yard into a shed and thats where it has stood for a year, so thats the first job. Believe mine was Ex military and then to BAE. Will get some pics of it when I have a chance but did find the MOD Plate. Does yours have a WYLIE?

Photo 01-09-2018, 13 42 58.jpg

IMG_1867.JPG

V8Druid

V8Druid

Awesome @V8Druid , looks in better nick than mine at the moment. Clutch went on it's last job but managed to roll it down the slope on the yard into a shed and thats where it has stood for a year, so thats the first job. Believe mine was Ex military and then to BAE. Will get some pics of it when I have a chance but did find the MOD Plate. Does yours have a WYLIE?

View attachment 4002

View attachment 3953
Hmm ... that looks an old girl @Charlie - steel bonnet isn't it? .... could be an 8 tonner? - it has the wing top weights on it! :unsure:
what does your load chart say about capacities:confused:

what you have on there, Wylie-wise, is a horrible contraption .... presume you have a safe load and an overload light with little else ?? no load indicator as such, to tell you what is on the hook? .... same as my Rapier had ..... :rolleyes:
OK once you know your way around them, but a pig to keep in calibration and working smoothly .... everything has to work/move perfectly in 'em and has some very fragile components in it .... it does however work very well with a searcher hook, if it has luffing cylinder load sensing, which is how those usually work

my Wylie Loadwise on the Fairy ...
rapier 7 fairy pic.s_16.jpg

and the Wylie as fitted to the Rapier ... if you can see it well enough, looks identical set up to yours
2013-10-17 13.31.39.jpg

IIRC I still have a couple of new replacement micro-switches for that system?:unsure:
Pretty sure I still have full manuals for a few of the Sapphires too
has the auto compensation for the hoist on telescope been removed from yours? .... bit of a bitch to reeve on a rope change and was often ignored :( ... can't see it in your pic???

V8Druid

V8Druid

found some pix earlier that the guy I sold it to sent me after he'd had it 'titivated' with some shiny tish ...... can't say i'm fussed on the colour scheme though
fairy freshened up (1).jpg
fairy freshened up (2).jpg
fairy freshened up.jpg
fairy freshened up (3).jpg

red oxide always looks like red oxide :rolleyes: looks a lot tidier though .... could never find the time to do it myself ... and I've painted a few cranes in me time :giggle:

pettsy

pettsy

Pretty sure my local steel stockholder has one of these in their yard for lifting duties

V8Druid

V8Druid

Pretty sure my local steel stockholder has one of these in their yard for lifting duties
there's a lot of 'em about Boyo ;):giggle: .... a very successful lil' crane range (y)
had my first one in 1982 .. a 4 tonner and that was 10 years old then :rolleyes:

M

MachMove

a lot of compressors these days seem to have the pressure cut out switch set around the 100-120 psi :unsure: ..... new one I bought a while back was:confused: ... so ... cover off the pressure switch and adjusted suitably, cured the problem (y) .... the tank was tested for 150psi SWP, so no issues. :cool:

my Sapphire 7 Charlie .......:giggle:

View attachment 3886View attachment 3887View attachment 3888View attachment 3889View attachment 3890View attachment 3891View attachment 3892

Perky 6354, 5 sp box (rare as!!), :whistle:
View attachment 3894

1200 hrs and about 400 kilks .... ex ministry then bought by a big pharmaceutical co. locally and never left their site ... 'til I bought it .... did one lift a month, had never been road registered and 'garaged' its entire life --- was a peach ;)(y)
View attachment 3893

only came out when I needed to use it, or it was in the way :rolleyes:

found some pix earlier that the guy I sold it to sent me after he'd had it 'titivated' with some shiny tish ...... can't say i'm fussed on the colour scheme though View attachment 4022View attachment 4023View attachment 4021View attachment 4024

red oxide always looks like red oxide :rolleyes: looks a lot tidier though .... could never find the time to do it myself ... and I've painted a few cranes in me time :giggle:
Hi there, I think we just bought you're old Sapphire 7 from Barry Dock - see attached, is this yours?
Do you have any manuals etc?? Works like a dream!

Attachments

• IMG_20220527_103847.jpg
    IMG_20220527_103847.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20220530_143317.jpg
    IMG_20220530_143317.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 112
Charlie

Charlie

Better than mine then, sitting stranded in the yard with the boom half out pissing clutch fluid everywhere :mad::mad: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

V8Druid

V8Druid

Hi there, I think we just bought you're old Sapphire 7 from Barry Dock - see attached, is this yours?
Do you have any manuals etc?? Works like a dream!
's a really low houred machine and drove well ... has a 5 sp box - rare ... never been road reg so never been tramped .. ex ministry, bought by Parke Davies Pharmaceuticals, Pontypool for one lift a month ... I had it off them when the Yank parent company closed the site and took their £40+m order book back to the States ... I bought their entire maintenance workshops and cleared the site.
pix attached for you should be able to recognise it from them ... trying to remember the name of the guys I sold it to .. were fabricators.
One of the best Fairys I ever had. She'll serve you well ... you anything to do with (Cocker) - Brian Philmore?

leaving my yard on Jeff Laidlaw's truck for Zooport Oct. '13 .....
2013-10-04 11.43.17.jpg

rapier 7 fairy pic.s_18.jpgrapier 7 fairy pic.s_08.jpg rapier 7 fairy pic.s_07.jpg rapier 7 fairy pic.s_06.jpgrapier 7 fairy pic.s_05.jpg rapier 7 fairy pic.s_04.jpg rapier 7 fairy pic.s_03.jpgrapier 7 fairy pic.s_02.jpgrapier 7 fairy pic.s_01.jpg
rapier 7 fairy pic.s_22.jpg

V8Druid

V8Druid

Better than mine then, sitting stranded in the yard with the boom half out pissing clutch fluid everywhere :mad::mad: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
only a std slave cylinder on there Charlie .. should be able to pick up a replacement easy enough

Charlie

Charlie

only a std slave cylinder on there Charlie .. should be able to pick up a replacement easy enough
Na mate, pipe rusted through but only realised as I ran out of clutch fluid so no idea where the hole is :rolleyes:. When I next get a sec, I'll top it up, find the hole and braze it over. Time just isn't on my side at the moment for '5 minute jobs' :ROFLMAO:

M

MachMove

's a really low houred machine and drove well ... has a 5 sp box - rare ... never been road reg so never been tramped .. ex ministry, bought by Parke Davies Pharmaceuticals, Pontypool for one lift a month ... I had it off them when the Yank parent company closed the site and took their £40+m order book back to the States ... I bought their entire maintenance workshops and cleared the site.
pix attached for you should be able to recognise it from them ... trying to remember the name of the guys I sold it to .. were fabricators.
One of the best Fairys I ever had. She'll serve you well ... you anything to do with (Cocker) - Brian Philmore?

leaving my yard on Jeff Laidlaw's truck for Zooport Oct. '13 .....
View attachment 35976
View attachment 35975View attachment 35974 View attachment 35973 View attachment 35972View attachment 35971 View attachment 35970 View attachment 35969View attachment 35968View attachment 35967
View attachment 35966
We bought from Bailey Engineering. Don't suppose you have an engine number or any info on it?
We know Jeff well, dont know Brian though.

V8Druid

V8Druid

We bought from Bailey Engineering. Don't suppose you have an engine number or any info on it?
that rings a bell .... I'll have to have a search of my files ....
was looking for the invoice for it last night, but got such a lot of old stuff, might take a while ....
should have a digital copy somewhere - paper ones're long gone up in smoke ...
engine number might be on it ..

otherwise it's an N/A Perky 6354 and a 5 speed box, as said ..
the slew lock boss was in the cab when I had it ...
no idea how they'd knocked it off ... but wasn't much holding it on ...
there's a set of micro switches on the turntable for 5 deg.s either side of centre, over front, but doubt they're incorporated into the Loadwise system?
Was two additional cams with it too when it went, one for manual and the other for over front only ... usually kept the 360 cam in it.

Cocker used to operate as Machinery Logistics (amongst other things) from the old Star Brick works site in Ponthir .... had an old 25/28 off him many years ago ... last one ever made and had her sister 825 Supertruck - first one made :giggle: --IIRC Emerald had her new.

Charlie

Charlie

Looking at the over-painting of the loadwise cables they are deff the same machine :)

V8Druid

V8Druid

found the invoice tonight fella .....
" 1975 Iron Fairy Sapphire self propelled mobile crane. Ser. No. IFS7.7047 "
sold to C H Bailey .. Bailey Industrial Engineering Ltd, Alexandra Docks, Newport .. 3rd Sept. 2013

TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

found the invoice tonight fella .....
" 1975 Iron Fairy Sapphire self propelled mobile crane. Ser. No. IFS7.7047 "
sold to C H Bailey .. Bailey Industrial Engineering Ltd, Alexandra Docks, Newport .. 3rd Sept. 2013
So that is what has kept you busy in June!! 🤣❤️❤️❤️