Hub seal.

diggerjones

diggerjones

I think because I've been mostly paddling around in mud for most of the winter, its knackered my hub seal. Whats the process regarding changing it. Picture of when i had the uj done.
20170919_172730.jpg

jd6820

jd6820

If your gonna go to the effort of resealing the hub may as well do both the shaft seal and the hub seal at the same time as you have to completely strip the hub to do both anyways. I'm guessing looking at the hub the axle is a Carraro? These come apart a little different to the other but easier if anything. Remove wheel rim, remove setscrews holding the hub cover (contains epicyclics). Then disassemble stage by stage noting the presence of any circlips holding the tapered roller bearings and stub shaft into the hub. You'll require a custom puller fabricating up to remove the hub from the swivel casting in order to replace the hub seal/check the bearings. The procedure varies slightly from hub to hub so if you post pictures I can help or give me the axle number (found on the axle beam near the steering rams). I can assist further. Simple job really, just gotta keep everything clean and don't assemble until fixing any worn seal journals as it is more or less guaranteed to leak again.

diggerjones

diggerjones

If your gonna go to the effort of resealing the hub may as well do both the shaft seal and the hub seal at the same time as you have to completely strip the hub to do both anyways. I'm guessing looking at the hub the axle is a Carraro? These come apart a little different to the other but easier if anything. Remove wheel rim, remove setscrews holding the hub cover (contains epicyclics). Then disassemble stage by stage noting the presence of any circlips holding the tapered roller bearings and stub shaft into the hub. You'll require a custom puller fabricating up to remove the hub from the swivel casting in order to replace the hub seal/check the bearings. The procedure varies slightly from hub to hub so if you post pictures I can help or give me the axle number (found on the axle beam near the steering rams). I can assist further. Simple job really, just gotta keep everything clean and don't assemble until fixing any worn seal journals as it is more or less guaranteed to leak again.
Thanks. When i get it home I'll get it cleaned up and have a go. I'll definitely need some assistance.