Hi

I

Ian M

Hi all a quick introduction before I start asking lots of questions ,I have just bought a Thwaites 2.5 ton dumper with hand start, not sure what year but it is old, 2 cylinder diesel petter 2? seemed Like a good idea, less to go wrong?, I hope to get all the bits on it sorted so I can put it back to work, but just part time, could be fun ?I live and work in France and have got it to use on some projects we are working on

Regy53

Regy53

Administrator
Hi Ian

Welcome to the forum

Likely a lister engine. Never owned a handle start before

Komatsu

Komatsu

Likely a lister engine. Never owned a handle start before
Remember the first time I managed to start the old mans handle start dumper, must of be about 9/10 years old...there was a big shout of “YES” as me and my mates got it to start “popping” as the engine kicked into life, followed by a loud “RUN!!!”, cos I didn’t get the handle out in time!!😱😱

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
..... followed by a search in the scenery for the handle :LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Welcome Ian ... could just as easily be a Petter twin ... have an old Thwaites Alligator on the handle .. can be a right bar steward ..... especially as it's an anti-clock crank :mad:......... really weird :unsure:o_O

Stubota86

Stubota86

..... followed by a search in the scenery for the handle :LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Welcome Ian ... could just as easily be a Petter twin ... have an old Thwaites Alligator on the handle .. can be a right bar steward ..... especially as it's an anti-clock crank :mad:......... really weird :unsure:o_O
must be the left handed version 😂

Komatsu

Komatsu

..... followed by a search in the scenery for the handle
Followed by hiding!!....old man went off his tits!!!.....to be fare, we (me and my mates) only an hour before, had failed miserably at the game of “ lets see if we can kick a football over the house”.... I’ll always remember the slight flex in the up stairs window as the ball hit it, followed by the shattering of glass!!, wasn’t the smallest of windows, and was the one for there bedroom😱😂😂.....kept a bit of a low profile after that😬

Last edited:
V8Druid

V8Druid

must be the left handed version 😂
nah .... it cranks from the wrong end of the crank (non-flywheel) so is going the wrong ferkin' way ..... you try it .. it's just WRONG!! on all counts :( ;)
I'm right handed and reaching the de-comps is a nightmare ... especially with an oil tank in the way:cry::mad: ... I've tried swinging it with me left hand .. that is equally WRONG :ROFLMAO::unsure:o_O🤪

At least it has a 'conventional' crank handle drive spigot and doesn't fit over the crank shaft like most, so is self ejecting when it fires

V8Druid

V8Druid

Followed by hiding!!....old man went off his tits!!!.....to be fare, we (me and my mates) only an hour before, had failed miserably at the game of “ lets see if we can kick a football over the house”.... I’ll always remember the slight flex in the up stairs window as the ball hit it, followed by the shattering of glass!!, wasn’t the smallest of windows, and was the one for there bedroom😱😂😂.....kept a bit of a low profile after that😬
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:😂😂 ............... rockin' here Ollie

I

Ian M

Thank all for the replies, First thing I learnt was you can tow start it very easy but must fit rope around centre not on one side, nearly end up in the ditch as it kept trying to pull steering wheel against me, first job is to get brakes working and give it a bit of a service, started to make a list of bits to get, anyone know best places to buy bits,
I will try to down load manual which might help, not to good with computers but will try and get some photos as I do jobs on it

V8Druid

V8Druid

Thank all for the replies, First thing I learnt was you can tow start it very easy but must fit rope around centre not on one side, nearly end up in the ditch as it kept trying to pull steering wheel against me, first job is to get brakes working and give it a bit of a service, started to make a list of bits to get, anyone know best places to buy bits,
I will try to down load manual which might help, not to good with computers but will try and get some photos as I do jobs on it
@JD450A

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk
Thanks but what is the postage like from Narnia?:)
Depends where it is going but generally it's the same as standard UK postage.

Most likely a Petter PH2. Common as muck. I've 5 dumpers being cut up or sold atm and most use relatively standard parts.

Plant engineering services near Exeter are bloody brilliant for new parts as well.

I

Ian M

Depends where it is going but generally it's the same as standard UK postage.

Most likely a Petter PH2. Common as muck. I've 5 dumpers being cut up or sold atm and most use relatively standard parts.

Plant engineering services near Exeter are bloody brilliant for new parts as well.
That's great I need to get a bit of time on it to work out what I need, I am in France but post to here is not much more expensive than to the UK if you use the right people, I also know someone that runs a lorry back to UK every couple of weeks and he has a depot, I can have bigger things sent there and he can bring them over at a good price,
I will let you know what I need and maybe you can give me a price for the bits and I can get them all in one go
thanks Ian