Hi all new to diggers any advice would be great.

P

Paul

Hi, just getting an old cat 301.5 delivered next week from Brightwells. It’s looks like it’s had a hard life so my first port of call is going to be drop and change all fluids. Can anyone recommend which hydraulic oil to use and where is the best place to pick up service kit. I live near Carmarthen but do most things on line. Cheers paul

D

DaveDCB

Hello, you won’t go too far wrong with that machine, hopefully it’s been looked after in the past, they can take a hammering and still be reliable. We always used genuine cat filters from the dealer, never found them overly expensive. but have just started using Rico Europe for older gear.. worth a try.

P

Paul

Cheers for reply that’s great. Been trying to work out what hydraulic oil would be the best. Some say a hvi46 but to be honest not sure what that even means?

hiluxman

hiluxman

I used to put cat advance 10 in my 301.5 and 301.6c.

Ive probably still a load of genuine cat filters here for it.

The 301.5s were very arse heavy and ive seen afew roll over backwards.

Bri963

Bri963

They came out of the factory with Cat Hydo, but as Doob says, any reasonable 46 and new filters.

P

Paul

Cheers guys. Is it right that there are 2 hydraulic filters as in daves link. Just trying to get things ready before it turns up.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
welcome boyo ...... not you by any chance? :unsure: ................. think we're short on celebrities here (lately :LOL::LOL: )

sorry ....... couldn't resist it ;):giggle::giggle:(y)

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Give Inline Filters a try too, if you can get the filter numbers then it’s easy to search on their site. Ive used Rico before, and found their service to be very good, however my last order with them was a total disaster, inner and outer air filters for a machine and they are not compatible with each other, long story, but I’m still waiting for a resolution to this issue 4 months on! So I’m a little nervous of Rico now......

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

So are you recommending them or not?
I take it you’re asking me? And with regards to Rico?
As I’ve said, I have had good service from them in the past. But leaving me with two filters sitting here and no replacements or solutions, then of course I can’t recommend them! But others might have better luck? Each to their own. They won’t be getting any more of my money though.....

jd6820

jd6820

I’ve had same issue with Rico and incorrect filters for a Hanix, twice I’ve been sent wrong air and fuel filters. So got the wrong ones on shelf in hope I use them sometime. Not worth my time to send back as ordered as a kit. Just ordered correct filters elsewhere. Apart from Hanix I use genuine filters as they fit first time and after discount are as cheap and sometimes cheaper....