........ " government to introduce statutory requirements to pay within 30 days ..... "

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
V8Druid

V8Druid

Furniss

Furniss

I need to change my invoices to stop giving domestic customers 30 days to pay!
When we moved to France I was surprised by the terms for domestic work and adopted them straight away , they are 30% deposit on signing of the accepted quote (banked the week we start) payment in full upon receipt of final invoice.
Did some work for EDF a few years ago and took months to get paid - was asked a couple of months ago if I was interested in a site meeting to discuss some future work with them and said thanks but no thanks.
No way could I survive on those kind of payment terms.

D

DaveDCB

Retentions are there for a reason....to ensure you go back to del with any minor issues that occur....if it is a major issue it is unlikely to be enough money!!

I have had a phone call regarding regarding a small roof leak, I politely told the caller they needed to call a roofing company, they asked why I would not do it under warranty as I was the original builder. I had to explain that was over 12 years ago!!

I sold a house, remained friends with them as we only moved next door, got a phone call Recently saying shower screen had exploded , asked who fitted it etc, told them who it was, then got all nasty when they said I’d be liable as I apparently renovated the house for profit!(did it up for myself, then sold it when I found it to be worth a Bob or two!) I sold the house two years ago and had the shower screen fitted nearly 4 years ago!! Fucking idiots!!! why people think everything comes with a lifetime guarantee is beyond me!!

Komatsu

Komatsu

I sold a house, remained friends with them as we only moved next door, got a phone call Recently saying shower screen had exploded , asked who fitted it etc, told them who it was, then got all nasty when they said I’d be liable as I apparently renovated the house for profit!(did it up for myself, then sold it when I found it to be worth a Bob or two!) I sold the house two years ago and had the shower screen fitted nearly 4 years ago!! Fucking idiots!!! why people think everything comes with a lifetime guarantee is beyond me!!
😂😂😂....heard of similar things in the past, you couldn’t make it up if you tried.

F

fred

Legally their is zero warranty on new builds from the builder. The NHBC and equiv insurance backed warranties are purely structural.

You get professional snagging firms now who snag doors when the gap is more than 1mm different where the door sits in the frame, they IR scan the rads and try to say they are heating up non uniformly etc etc seen loads.

My stance on our builds is if I look at it and can see one of the trades has fucked up then I'll sort it otherwise if they want something done different then its sort it yourself we are not your landlord.

TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

Legally their is zero warranty on new builds from the builder. The NHBC and equiv insurance backed warranties are purely structural.

You get professional snagging firms now who snag doors when the gap is more than 1mm different where the door sits in the frame, they IR scan the rads and try to say they are heating up non uniformly etc etc seen loads.

My stance on our builds is if I look at it and can see one of the trades has fucked up then I'll sort it otherwise if they want something done different then its sort it yourself we are not your landlord.
I haven’t been NHBC registered for about 6 years. Back then, in the small print, NHBC expect the builder to cover the cost of any claims in the first 2 years. Then they pick up the bill for claims thereafter.......but there was a no claims difference depending on your rating that altered your premiums. Don’t know if that is still the case.

Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
I can see why people would use a professional snagging firm. When I was young and stupid the wife talked me in to buying a new house from a national house builder. They did everything possible to dissuade us from having a survey, but we went ahead anyway and they picked up pages of problems, some of which were serious. Then we snagged it and produced a list. Things like the upstairs floor sloped so much you could feel yourself walking down hill and the doors either didn’t shut or had a big gap at one end or they couldn’t open fully without hitting the floor. When we refused to complete as they hadn’t fixed the problems they threatened to sue us. A pair of youngsters standing up to a national firm and their high paid solicitors was scary. Having some professional back up would have made it a lot easier.

Stubota86

Stubota86

that’s crazy but goes to show how far some people will try and go for a freebie! Toughened glass I imagine they prob clipped the leading edge of it

V8Druid

V8Druid

the rise of national house builders providing their own mortgage arrangements has been driven through necessity ... none of the high street banks are prepared to offer a mortgage on a new build anymore ... too risky/too many problems ... won't consider anything less than two years old ... and that came from a deputy / assistant bank manager's own mouth

pettsy

pettsy

Toughened glass I imagine they prob clipped the leading edge of it
doesnt have to be a recent knock. I’ve seen them randomly smash with no-one nearby. I’ve also had one go bang when fitting, was that much force bits of glass were stuck in the plastered walls aswell as my arms:cry:

F

fred

I haven’t been NHBC registered for about 6 years. Back then, in the small print, NHBC expect the builder to cover the cost of any claims in the first 2 years. Then they pick up the bill for claims thereafter.......but there was a no claims difference depending on your rating that altered your premiums. Don’t know if that is still the case.
yep same, purely structural/watertight is only condition. Everything else excluded.

Sold quite a few over the years with just an architects cert and the banks will still honor them as long as you have a sufficient deposit. Don't know of any high street banks who wont mortgage a newbuild with a 10 year warranty.

The joke of these warrantes, we had a warranty provider called CRL who were on all the mortgagae companies approved list and then went bust in 2018. We were very lucky having completed on a build the week bofore. A friend who was on a site with 5 houses had to buy another warranty and was out of pocket 5 x £2.5k.

Not worth he paper they are written on.

V8Druid

V8Druid

yep same, purely structural/watertight is only condition. Everything else excluded.

Sold quite a few over the years with just an architects cert and the banks will still honor them as long as you have a sufficient deposit. Don't know of any high street banks who wont mortgage a newbuild with a 10 year warranty.

The joke of these warrantes, we had a warranty provider called CRL who were on all the mortgagae companies approved list and then went bust in 2018. We were very lucky having completed on a build the week bofore. A friend who was on a site with 5 houses had to buy another warranty and was out of pocket 5 x £2.5k.

Not worth he paper they are written on.
they won't tell you that straight Fred .... just won't give it to you ... all petrified of the possible hassle, with the poor std.s from 'the biggys' ... back door 'kick up the arse' for them all to improve.
I'd rather buy from a small developer, such as yourself, than any national .... not as I would ever buy a new house