Forestry equipment

Jimbo69

Jimbo69

While out for a walk with the dog this morning I came across this.
91E0AEA9-A524-49F9-95C5-81C20CA5DC68.jpeg
7B190CA6-2B25-4F29-9BAB-0A1625C0BE7C.jpeg
5379752F-B5CB-4295-BE69-F8772848CE5C.jpeg

A bit further along I found these tucked away.
3E3806C5-EF1A-4C45-8C33-00335E742847.jpeg
2DF0A557-7502-408C-A765-E9628F92224E.jpeg
1ED08307-7ACC-4E8F-9825-9EE24D3DA086.jpeg

A bit further along I found this, looks like she’s had a hard life.
AD7BF8BC-FC9C-4201-86B6-36F9D280FCB8.jpeg
698DEF98-28FD-4970-B467-50BADD86EB94.jpeg

BertB.

BertB.

I like that tractor the mounder looks a bit light duty at least by our standards here. What were they using for harvesting?

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Dog walking turf must've been in the back of beyond :oops: ..... that IBC half full of cherry'd have been gone the day it hit the deck full, around here :eek::mad:

V8Druid

V8Druid

Wondered what that enviro-mounder did so Googled it and found This video
wouldn't play for me , but assume it makes the tussocks they plant trees in the top of ?? saves digging 'em into holes !!

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
You don’t see a lot of Mitsubishi crawlers about :unsure:

BertB.

BertB.

I've seen something they pull behind a log skidder over here before it essentially does the same thing but built like a battleship, I guess it chews up the old stumps while it does its thing.

BertB.

BertB.

This is how some forests were managed here in Manitoba at one time. It's pretty neat driving through these sections of forest but they are becoming fewer as logging and forest fires take them out.
IMG_2116.JPG
IMG_2117.JPG
IMG_2118.JPG
IMG_2120.JPG
IMG_2121.JPG

Jimbo69

Jimbo69

I like that tractor the mounder looks a bit light duty at least by our standards here. What were they using for harvesting?
I didn’t see any harvesting equipment, I’ll have to have a walk further up the hill next time.

Jimbo69

Jimbo69

Dog walking turf must've been in the back of beyond :oops: ..... that IBC half full of cherry'd have been gone the day it hit the deck full, around here :eek::mad:
I was surprised to see it where it was, only a 5 minute walk from the main road and the gates were wide open so could get a vehicle right up to it. There were also 2 grab tanks beside it as well, right out in the open.

BertB.

BertB.

What's typically used for harvesting there? The options here are quite varied I've never logged myself but have always had some interest in it. Oh by the way Swamp Loggers is on youtube now if you guys have ever watched that before.

Jimbo69

Jimbo69

What's typically used for harvesting there?
I’m not too sure Bert, I don’t have any involvement in forestry but see mostly wheeled harvesters in this area. One of my friends used to operate a converted excavator a good few years ago, I’m not sure of the model but he reckoned it was touching 40 tonnes. Says he could pull full grown trees straight out the ground with it.

BertB.

BertB.

That's a bit big sounds like the logging machines you see in British Columbia.

Jimbo69

Jimbo69

That's a bit big sounds like the logging machines you see in British Columbia.
It does, might’ve been a bit of exaggeration from him. I’m near sure it was a Cat, I suppose a heavily modified 325 or 330 might get near to that weight.

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
I think the John Deere 1270 is the most common harvester used in the area but you do find some tigercats and valmets and very occasional you get a converted 360 excavator but more often this is for skyline work.
If it was fuel in the IBC they are taking a bit of a risk, they could get strung up by environmental authorities for having that onsite unbunded and un tamper proof. Any kids going about playing can open the bottom valve and the whole lot ends up in the nearest water course.

BertB.

BertB.

I came across these machines once this summer when I was out on my quad I guess one is a harvester that also processes the trees to length and the other is a forwarder to haul the wood to the landing as you already probably know. I think the two machines are made in the U.S. I've seen some ads on Instagram for a company that makes something similar. I think they haul the wood to a papermill in Ontario but I'm not entirely sure as there is also a newish sawmill running in the town of Kenora, Ont. I think most of the pulpwood operations chip the trees right in the bush instead of at the papermills these days.
20180909_125355.jpg
20180909_125413.jpg
20180909_125504.jpg
20180909_125523.jpg

Jimbo69

Jimbo69

I think the John Deere 1270 is the most common harvester used in the area but you do find some tigercats and valmets and very occasional you get a converted 360 excavator but more often this is for skyline work.
If it was fuel in the IBC they are taking a bit of a risk, they could get strung up by environmental authorities for having that onsite unbunded and un tamper proof. Any kids going about playing can open the bottom valve and the whole lot ends up in the nearest water course.
I’m not sure it was fuel, certainly looks like it and can’t think what else it would be. As you say, taking a big risk if it was.

V8Druid

V8Druid

I’m not sure it was fuel, certainly looks like it and can’t think what else it would be. As you say, taking a big risk if it was.

in all senses for sure ... EA, or whatever they're called these days, would've had a fit with 1000 litres of unbunded cherry sat there .... aside from the risk of theft

S

Smiffy

Is there a possibility it's for stump treatment I think they use urea maybe ?? And something else for treating the end of the lengths of timber if it's going to sawmills to stop it drying to quickly and cracking