Fj40

J

Jimoz

Perhaps not commercial but what do you lot think to the fj40 land cruisers? I'm considering importing one with a view to selling. Not looking to flog it here just for any advice or experience you may have. Being a 4.2 petrol it obviously wouldn't want to be your daily driver!

M

Monkeybusiness

Where would you source one? Oz? What sort of money would it owe you once in the UK?

Gecko

Gecko

How old are you looking?
I've worked on a few FJ40 (FJ4x)'s.
The drive-line is solid. The engines improved over time, but the heads have a tendency to crack when the miles get high. Engine conversions are not uncommon and kits are available, but you'd want a pick something that is easily uk available.
If you get an early(ish) model, they have drums on the front, but the entire front axle is easy to swap to get discs.

J

Jimoz

I think the key to getting a decent price here is everything original. No engine swaps. The price drops quite a bit if been messed with. Anything around 1980 good for me. No mot or road tax here, like I say it's not going to be a daily driver for someone. @Monkeybusiness I used to live there so have a good friend who's into 4wd's. It wouldn't be anything spectacular money wise but there might be a few grand in it and I can't see the motor depreciating in the meantime! Like druid says they do seem to fetch good money here but a lot of that is asking prices got to see what they're actually changing hands for. Like @Gecko says they seem to be pretty bomb proof from what I've read

Giles

Giles

guy I know @ Milner 4x4 Bakewell imported 2 land cruiser pickups did them up then really struggled to sell them

but the land cruiser might be more desirable than a work truck,

with classic ford broncos going for $200k there is a market for the classic jeeps

Gecko

Gecko

The good, the bad and the ugly - this will give you some idea of the asking price here
Gumtree

Gecko

Gecko

They sure have.
btw, 1980 is a good target. Avoid anything before '76 (F engine, poorer engine mounts, three speed gearbox if you are really unlucky and drum brakes on the front).

pettsy

pettsy

guy I know @ Milner 4x4 Bakewell imported 2 land cruiser pickups did them up then really struggled to sell them

Saw an 06 reg one for sale for ages, thought it would have sold straight away. Edit: I’m 10mins from milners 😉

Last edited:
J

Jimoz

I may be wrong but if hope it's a different market. Fj40 mot and tax exempt is going to be weekend car for someone not a work bus

R

Russell

£31,000+ for a 11year old truck😲 I like a cruisers but fook that!
I wonder what train weight it says on the vin plate?
I asked milners but they didn't get back to me. When I was in Oz the cruiser pickups started at about £10,000 for old worn out ones.

Last edited:
S

Smiffy

£31,000+ for a 11year old truck😲 I like a cruisers but fook that!
I wonder what train weight it says on the vin plate?
I asked milners but they didn't get back to me. When I was in Oz the cruiser pickups started at about £10,000 for old worn out ones.

To be fair that's not the best deal on there Facebook page I think it must be higher spec as it's got a turbo as there was a newer none turbo for less money

Gecko

Gecko

Not entirely off topic, this is a pipe from an FJ62 (same engine etc. as an FJ40 of the same vintage).
This one is still on points ignition that have been causing a few problems lately (everything has been replaced except the coil)

Gecko

Gecko

...aaaaand then I blew a head gasket
1615768039285.png

Had to drive the last 40km with #5 plug removed (about 3 hours and 20l of water).
I'll have the head off in an hour to see the damage, but it split the radiator in the process too.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
...aaaaand then I blew a head gasket
View attachment 23000

Had to drive the last 40km with #5 plug removed (about 3 hours and 20l of water).
I'll have the head off in an hour to see the damage, but it split the radiator in the process too.
yep ...... when yer rocker cover and sump's full of condensed milk there is deffo usually a problem :oops::LOL: