Fence post auger

Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

Currently using 450mm on a 5t,but got 6kilomerers to do,going 1-1.2 m depends on ground
That looks like 4 inch posts ? Why are you using a 450 flight ? I’ve been thinking I’m going to use a 150 for 4 inch posts . Is it just to get more concrete around them ?

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

That looks like 4 inch posts ? Why are you using a 450 flight ? I’ve been thinking I’m going to use a 150 for 4 inch posts . Is it just to get more concrete around them ?
The trouble with using a small flight, one that’s just big enough for the post, is that a tiny deviation in the auger during operation and you will no longer be able to get the post in the desired position. Also as you’ve said, you won’t get enough concrete around them. But it’s mainly to be able to position them I find.
We stuck some 203X203 UC steels in the other week, auger’d the holes with a 600mm flight. Was perfect as the ground was unpredictable.

B

Brendan

Keeping vertical and in the right position can be hit and miss, a large stone or mixture of hard and soft and you can be a few degrees out. I used the closet flight to the post size and sometimes had to dig out the side to get the post where I needed it 😭

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
used an 8" auger putting my 4" trellis fence posts in years ago.... carefully marked where i wanted them and had no prob.s in getting them all in the right positions ... shaley, loose mudstone type ground... left some very neat round holes. ... two old farts on a handheld stihl, but a lot easier than hand digging 'em and with a nice edge on the flight they drilled a treat (y)

L

Lynchy

Going to keep you busy for a bit. How far do you get per hour?
Bout 24 holes augered one day,then concrete the next,but not often get a long run as principle contractor not far enough ahead,been around this job since last aug,productivity not much issue

L

Lynchy

Everything over the top here weren't happy with fence box's filled with 10 bags of ballast want frame up to stop it blowing over when net put on it!

Attachments

• IMG_20210309_120525_893.jpg
    IMG_20210309_120525_893.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 51
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
used an 8" auger putting my 4" trellis fence posts in years ago.... carefully marked where i wanted them and had no prob.s in getting them all in the right positions ... shaley, loose mudstone type ground... left some very neat round holes. ... two old farts on a handheld stihl, but a lot easier than hand digging 'em and with a nice edge on the flight they drilled a treat (y)
Bout 24 holes augered one day,then concrete the next,but not often get a long run as principle contractor not far enough ahead,been around this job since last aug,productivity not much issue
23 in a morning ... 600 deep x 200 dia .... combined age of operators 120+ ..... productivity :giggle::giggle:;)(y)

Storrsy

Storrsy

No productivity requirement here
Productivity with an auger all comes down to the ground. I can drill out and clean out a 12” hole 4ft deep in not much more than a minute or two in pure loamy soils. Really compacted shillet with rocks that can’t come out in the flight take an age- combination of loosing with auger and leavering rocks with a bar.

L

Lynchy

Productivity with an auger all comes down to the ground. I can drill out and clean out a 12” hole 4ft deep in not much more than a minute or two in pure loamy soils. Really compacted shillet with rocks that can’t come out in the flight take an age- combination of loosing with auger and leavering rocks with a bar.
Done bit of augering:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• 20232204_10211348714048424_1512347870710081184_o.jpg
    20232204_10211348714048424_1512347870710081184_o.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20170925_025135634.jpg
    IMG_20170925_025135634.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 40
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Everything over the top here weren't happy with fence box's filled with 10 bags of ballast want frame up to stop it blowing over when net put on it!
Friggin heck that's all hired stuff innit? Someone's makin a killing 🙄 HS2 ?