Elliot and Lake 35 ton jack

T

Tractormike

Has anybody any experience of Dismantling and/or repairing the above? As part of my Bristol Europa retrieve/repair/renovate project (going VERY slowly), I am trying to set up a reasonable array of tools, etc with which to attack the beast. I recently acquired 2 Elliot and Lake 35-ton jacks at auction (Way over the top, but ridiculously cheap). One of them works a treat, but the other has problems holding a load, i.e. it will list without a load, but as soon as a load is applied, it lifts no further - possible a seal, valve or pump issue. So I am, mainly out of interest, looking to see if I can fix it. So far I have removed the capping nut at the top, and the "up/down" valve on the side, but I cannot see my way forward from this point.

I know it is a bit of a flight of fancy and i can get a perfectly adequate new bottle jack for a relatively small cost (probably less than I could wind up spending on this) but someone out there might have a smidgen of knowledge that could turn a lump of cast iron into a useful lifter.

Any (helpful) contributions welcome

TractorMike

M

Monkeybusiness

Has anybody any experience of Dismantling and/or repairing the above? As part of my Bristol Europa retrieve/repair/renovate project (going VERY slowly), I am trying to set up a reasonable array of tools, etc with which to attack the beast. I recently acquired 2 Elliot and Lake 35-ton jacks at auction (Way over the top, but ridiculously cheap). One of them works a treat, but the other has problems holding a load, i.e. it will list without a load, but as soon as a load is applied, it lifts no further - possible a seal, valve or pump issue. So I am, mainly out of interest, looking to see if I can fix it. So far I have removed the capping nut at the top, and the "up/down" valve on the side, but I cannot see my way forward from this point.

I know it is a bit of a flight of fancy and i can get a perfectly adequate new bottle jack for a relatively small cost (probably less than I could wind up spending on this) but someone out there might have a smidgen of knowledge that could turn a lump of cast iron into a useful lifter.

Any (helpful) contributions welcome

TractorMike
Can you swap parts between the good and faulty jacks to narrow the issue to a particular component?

C

Canal Navvy

Isn't that the type of Jack that once you've taken the big nut off the top you tap around the base with a soft faced hammer and release the outer to reveal the glory inside ? 🙂

Probably a good idea to drain the oil first or be ready for it .
Don't know if anyone makes bottle Jack's that good any more, modern one will be easier to tick the boxes but won't be as solid or safe (IMHO) 😉

Last edited: