Can I claim?

6feetdown

So this morning had a puncture fixed on the trailer as it had a screw in it, unfortunately 1 of those things.

Taking the Avant from a job at 4pm caught a pot hole on the side of the road which I couldn't avoid and could barely see, the road is a council B road I think but heavily used, can I claim for a new wheel and tyre. The crap they keep putting in these holes is garbage, 1 section just up from there has been done 3 times in a month and looks like a kid has thrown it in
20231117_172447.jpg
20231117_172444.jpg

C

charlie2

a mate of mine did much the same and tried to claim from our local council they came up with some b/s that the road had been inspected within a certain timeframe and had no issues then so would not even accept any type of claim. but you have nothing to lose trying, some tyre companys may have a machine that rolls and straightens wheel rims may be worth asking around.

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

a mate of mine did much the same and tried to claim from our local council they came up with some b/s that the road had been inspected within a certain timeframe and had no issues then so would not even accept any type of claim. but you have nothing to lose trying, some tyre companys may have a machine that rolls and straightens wheel rims may be worth asking around.
Agree deffo worth a shot 👍 I mean that's an utter pisstake 🤬

6feetdown

If it’s not been previously reported then I think that’s their get out.
Sounds about right the road needs resurfacing heavily used by 8 wheelers and grab lorries as there is a tip about 150m down the road.
Maybe I should get someone to report it 1st 🤔

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
So this morning had a puncture fixed on the trailer as it had a screw in it, unfortunately 1 of those things.

Taking the Avant from a job at 4pm caught a pot hole on the side of the road which I couldn't avoid and could barely see, the road is a council B road I think but heavily used, can I claim for a new wheel and tyre. The crap they keep putting in these holes is garbage, 1 section just up from there has been done 3 times in a month and looks like a kid has thrown it inView attachment 53498View attachment 53499
Vicki hit a pot hole several years ago (Pam was in the car with her, on their way to a biz meeting, when Vicki had her Bridal wear shop. -- Wrecked the wheel - amazed it didn't wreck the suspension -- right on the inside of a left hander -- 'bout 3+ ft long 15 or so inches wide and at least 4" deep ... had to go out and sort them out. ... it would've killed a motorcyclist, doing any speed. Vicki had to cancel the quite important meeting with a design house, she'd been trying to get in with for months.
we pursued it relentlessly for months with Herefordshire CC and gave up in the end -- they employ a firm of solicitors exclusively to deal with pot hole claims ... they tried all sorts and claimed said hole had been filled the week before .. We FOI-ed their work sheets/schedules, etc. and what we got back was a plainly 'doctored' cut/paste job - even had differing fonts mid sentence - would've been cheaper to have paid for a wheel and tyre, than employ the solicitors .. we just got fed up of fighting what was blatant lies. Given a bottomless pot, I'd have taken them all the way to court .. but wasn't going to waste good money fighting a corrupt authority, who were prepared to alter paperwork to cover their arses.

I'd not waste your time TBH ... annoying as it is, you've more chance of a dinner date with the pope or 'wingnut' ... they'd open the flood gates paying for yours

2013-06-10 10.33.06.jpg
2013-06-10 10.33.15.jpg

S

Smiffy

You can only claim if the pothole has been reported more than 2hrs ago and nothing has been done about it. Orange paint round the edge counts.
If you want to claim wait for a really wet windy night. And phone in a pothole anonymously. Then a few hours later phone up and make the claim.
I say a wet windy night as the reactionary teams that attend pothole reports are the same gangs that attend flood reports, pothole reports and fallen tree reports so when they are busy there is less chance of them attending within the 2hr window

6feetdown

You can only claim if the pothole has been reported more than 2hrs ago and nothing has been done about it. Orange paint round the edge counts.
If you want to claim wait for a really wet windy night. And phone in a pothole anonymously. Then a few hours later phone up and make the claim.
I say a wet windy night as the reactionary teams that attend pothole reports are the same gangs that attend flood reports, pothole reports and fallen tree reports so when they are busy there is less chance of them attending within the 2hr window
Just sick of these ***** fleecing us for everything to allegedly pay for road maintenance etc

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Just sick of these ***** fleecing us for everything to allegedly pay for road maintenance etc
we have two routes to get up to us from the main road - the main one is absolutely crap and has systematically wrecked the Golf's suspension in the last year ... the other is diabolical - I will only drive it in the P38 as a last resort, if t'other one is blocked/closed ..
I would not be surprised if it got de-classified shortly. another lane not far away leading to Pam's mate's place got de-classified a couple of years ago, as they wouldn't maintain it -- it is now impassable, unless you're riding a trials bike :mad: :mad:

D

DaveDCB

I’ve been constantly reporting a stretch of road which has overhanging trees, I have to keep about 1meter away from the kerb in the tractor, obviously nothing can pass then, other side of the road has been hit by multiple IED’s. Council came out and scraped back some of the crap to reveal the kerb and said it was fine…! Infact I’ll complain again now 🤦‍♂️

S

Smiffy

I’ve been constantly reporting a stretch of road which has overhanging trees, I have to keep about 1meter away from the kerb in the tractor, obviously nothing can pass then, other side of the road has been hit by multiple IED’s. Council came out and scraped back some of the crap to reveal the kerb and said it was fine…! Infact I’ll complain again now 🤦‍♂️

Legal obligation to maintain it at 16ft and you can claim for this but guessing it's the same clause as potholes

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Good luck...I complained about some roadworks today ...got a reply saying it wasn't highways and they had passed it on and closed the case 😂 Friday afternoon I guess .
In short we have a major A road with 4 way lights today ..weekends gonna be fun 🫢🫢
Took a mate 40 minutes to do the 3 mile queue through this afternoon 😂😂🫣🫣

pettsy

pettsy

What really pi$$es me off is the council made us cut some trees back which were ‘dangerous’ weren’t too bad were they @Monkeybusiness ?? Yet I complain about some similar ones which hit my cars/tractors daily yet they aren’t interested. 🤦‍♂️

There’s two places near me that if a car is coming in opposite direction I have to drag the van through overhanging hedges. Local highways inspector “closed” the first reports I made 🤬. He’ll either get fed up of me reporting it weekly and sort it or I’ll cut them back myself and leave the crap for them to collect. There’s no reason for anything overhanging other than lack of maintenance!

hiluxman

hiluxman

There’s two places near me that if a car is coming in opposite direction I have to drag the van through overhanging hedges. Local highways inspector “closed” the first reports I made 🤬. He’ll either get fed up of me reporting it weekly and sort it or I’ll cut them back myself and leave the crap for them to collect. There’s no reason for anything overhanging other than lack of maintenance!
Sooo many road round here are the same, well over grown with tress and hedges, the council should get their act together and get it done or get onto the owners of said hedges.

Perfectly decent road space but 2 to 3ft of it unusable in some instances

craig

craig

Sooo many road round here are the same, well over grown with tress and hedges, the council should get their act together and get it done or get onto the owners of said hedges.

Perfectly decent road space but 2 to 3ft of it unusable in some instances
Same here, the council say its the landowners, the landowners say its the other side of the fence so its the councils, nothing gets done.
In some places its causing the roads to be damaged due to traffic moving over to give room to the ones avoiding the hedge, and running on the edge of the mat or just off, and the road breaking up, but the supervisors don't see (or not allowed) the bigger picture of saving money in the long run.

D

DaveDCB

That’s exactly the same problem I’m having with this certain stretch. Was tempted to send my hedge contractor down to knock it all back, but no doubt he’d get in trouble.

M

Monkeybusiness

Same here, the council say its the landowners, the landowners say its the other side of the fence so its the councils, nothing gets done.
In some places its causing the roads to be damaged due to traffic moving over to give room to the ones avoiding the hedge, and running on the edge of the mat or just off, and the road breaking up, but the supervisors don't see (or not allowed) the bigger picture of saving money in the long run.
The ridiculous thing is hedge cutting is incredibly cheap - it’s daft to scrimp there.