Arrow Breakers

O

Old Operator

Does anyone remember the above? They were a sort of based on an RTFL but with a mast in place of the forks. The hammer was suspended on the mast so vibration was not transferred back to the carrier. I think they were made for recovery of old airfields. This was in the infancy of hyd breakers, about the time the Hymac nibbler came out.
There was also a make called Goblin - these were dipper mounted on a 3C or 360? & included an 'Air Goblin' the same but needed a compressor rather than the carrier's hyd system. I am not sure if this is the same company http://arrowmaster.com/?msclkid=d6fa49dbcecd11ec8e65a4183b0b84fc
Local hirer Freemans had at least one. I remember driving it in the summer of '76 while my uncle raked & cleared the broken stuff with his 3C backhoe. The pencilled in Arrow driver had gone to Cornwall to surf for the summer (man) so it was down to me! I have also somewhere a pic of a McKiernan Terry piling hammer with a breaker steel adaptation - this hung from a Navvy but was air / steam powered. A guy with a cap on stood by it pulling a sort of 'bog chain' to operate it. Not very H&S
I wondered if the Arrow was a development of the Navvy hammer

S

Smiffy

Not of the same make but Still a few companies run concrete guillotines I think they are popular in the states.

O

Old Operator

JD, them being based on Bedford TK running gear would point to them being UK built at the time?? I remember the mast could be tilted off centre to point slightly outward from the front offside wheel. Thus the machine moved backward between hammer cuts, leaving a windrow of rubble. I did not realise the mast was movable along a rear carriage like on a 3C? as the US version seems to show. It was set up for me & I was told to 'keep going like this' as the 3C was seen as a much more difficult drive (or uncle liked it & not the Arrow)
The pic of the Navvy hammer is Plate 264 in my copy of the big blue book we both have. Sadly my scanner is not working just now

M

muckyman

Still got a goblin breaker we used it on a hitachi uh07 worked well strong but slow compared to modern hammers we had a nitrogen cylinder to charge it up when it needed doing