Applying for a temporary road closure

Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

I've never had to do the application to close half of a fairly major A road so was hoping that somebody with experience could tell me if there is a tick box for "We need somewhere to park our vans while our driver's spend all day asleep" or are we expected to make up a credible reason....... asking for a friend 😁

S

Smiffy

I've never had to do the application to close half of a fairly major A road so was hoping that somebody with experience could tell me if there is a tick box for "We need somewhere to park our vans while our driver's spend all day asleep" or are we expected to make up a credible reason....... asking for a friend 😁

An A road I would assume to be 50mph or greater. The sideways safety zone of 50mph or greater roads is 1.5m this means that any work carried out has to be more than 1.5m sideways of the live lane of traffic. You also need somewhere in the region of 30m or so from the end diagonal cone to your place of work. This also includes getting in and out of your van.
I know this is long winded but this basically your excuse. That you cannot safely access the site with tools and materials whilst being 1.5m away from traffic. Even better if the actual work is within 1.5m of the carriageway.
For 40mph and less the sideways safety zone is 0.5m so a bit harder to swing it.

S

Smiffy

Sorry I got it wrong it's 1.2m not 1.5m but still applies.
Search: nrswa red book and it's the first pdf link. This is the full list of what you have to comply to. In there somewhere will be the excuse you use.

Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

Thanks for that, I suspect that at the moment we are the easy target 🎯 for highways as they are being bombarded with complaints by the public. We have a long stretch of the A46 that has a 40 limit and multiple temporary traffic lights with little happening. Over the weekend one set appeared to be there to keep a pile of plastic pedestrian barriers safe and today an opening in the pavement within the splay of an industrial unit meant that another chunk of road was shut.

I'd imagine that if it's all officially sanctioned being necessary isn't really relevant .

Anyone recommend a good guide to the rules and best practice? 🙂

Cheers Smithy , I'll have a look 🙂

S

Smiffy

Thanks for that, I suspect that at the moment we are the easy target 🎯 for highways as they are being bombarded with complaints by the public. We have a long stretch of the A46 that has a 40 limit and multiple temporary traffic lights with little happening. Over the weekend one set appeared to be there to keep a pile of plastic pedestrian barriers safe and today an opening in the pavement within the splay of an industrial unit meant that another chunk of road was shut.

I'd imagine that if it's all officially sanctioned being necessary isn't really relevant .

Cheers Smithy

It's all in the red book. Sorry I can't link it as I'm on my phone so it just opens the PDF rather than copying the link.

They will rank you as to how urgent it is. Something like a permit for doing sign work can take months to come through. For flood prevention work it can be within a week. Claim it an emergency and it can be within hours.

Every council is different though. And then you have lane Rental schemes whereby you have to pay for the road space whereas normally you just pay for a permit

Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

Lovely, I'm seeing it as 2013 , is that the current version? 🤔

I might well buy the paper version if it is to read in the truck when it's raining...... even though at the moment it would need a lot more pages.

S

Smiffy

That appears to be it. Can't see anything newer. And have long since lost my paper copy.

Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

Possibly a real low here 🌿

A sapling has fallen and the foliage is just obstructing the footpath so they have diverted the footpath into the road complete with plastic ramps between the pavement level and the carriageway. The temporary lights have been there for at least 24 hours now.

I'm sure it's all best practice but in reality it is total lunacy 🤣

Attachments

• 20230510_090522.jpg
    20230510_090522.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 106
S

Smiffy

This is the real reason for the state of our roads. That will cost a few grand for nothing.
The best thing in our county is they have introduced lane rental charges. Certain roads cost 1200 quid a day for any form of traffic management on them. Except they charge themselves aswell.
So to repair a pot hole on these roads is £1200 that goes into the central pot to be redistributed.

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Possibly a real low here 🌿

A sapling has fallen and the foliage is just obstructing the footpath so they have diverted the footpath into the road complete with plastic ramps between the pavement level and the carriageway. The temporary lights have been there for at least 24 hours now.

I'm sure it's all best practice but in reality it is total lunacy 🤣
You are having a laugh...😳🤣

Richard Hunton

Richard Hunton

Cheers Smithy , I'll have a look 🙂
Having done this sort of thing before, I now dont run the risk of trying to work any of it out myself although I have my streetworks and have done for a good few years.
My approach is, ringing A plant or Sunbelt as the Americans call it now.
Explain what I think I need and what I am up to. They design the TM to suit, knowing what the local council / collector of my pennies when Im just trying to do my job, will need / prefer.
They usually know the traffic flow rate, speed limits and requirements for he given area/ council/ road

They come back to me with a signed off agreement from the council and off we go.

The last one was for a safe working as mentioned previously on a 30mph rd of 500mm, all work was carried out from the verge. It cost me 350 for the council permit woffle and the hire of the equipment, setting it out and collecting it a week after Id finished with it and off hired it.
Hope this helps

Attachments

• 20230405_154901.jpg
    20230405_154901.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 84
A

AHPP

This is the real reason for the state of our roads. That will cost a few grand for nothing.
The best thing in our county is they have introduced lane rental charges. Certain roads cost 1200 quid a day for any form of traffic management on them. Except they charge themselves aswell.
So to repair a pot hole on these roads is £1200 that goes into the central pot to be redistributed.
An idea from the school of thought that suggests standing in a bucket and lifting yourself up by the handle.