V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
as title .... odd looking thing
1627170570321.png

not a cheap tool though :oops:

S

Steve

I looked at getting one for a job a while ago, I had to replace the bottom few courses of block in a wall. I seem to remember checking reviews & it was more suited to softer mortar joints.

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

as title .... odd looking thing
View attachment 26385

not a cheap tool though :oops:
Yes, Ruddy awesome bit of kit. Needed to re point a fireplace once and my old boss had one, really good. For replacing a single brick or cutting out they are unbeatable.
Wow thought they were about 600 quid...hopped up in price a bit 😳

D

DaveDCB

I looked at getting one for a job a while ago, I had to replace the bottom few courses of block in a wall. I seem to remember checking reviews & it was more suited to softer mortar joints.
Same, just got some new discs for the grinder and still saw instead

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Yeah that's probably true, this was old mortar hence heritage sites love em.

R

Russell

I've used them for cutting bricks out and they don't kick up so much dust as a grinder, if I remember correctly. You can get big ones and little ones.

T whiting

T whiting

Yes we tried cutting a doorway into a pub with one where dust would have been a issue it wouldn't touch the bricks so it got sthilsawed

S

Smiffy

Yes we tried cutting a doorway into a pub with one where dust would have been a issue it wouldn't touch the bricks so it got sthilsawed

I've never tried them but apparently the concrete recip saw blades are good for low dust situations.
Im not sure I could see them working but seem to get good reviews

B

Brendan

I picked one up at an auction...

Blades are very expensive

Fair bit of vibration through it

Still kicks up a fair bit of dust

blades I have are decent for normal mortar but struggled on high cement content stuff although to be fair it was really hard mortar

B

Brendan

Aren't they more for the joint not the actual bricks? What's up any way @V8Druid forgot a wire behind your great wall!?
I think dependant on blade can be both but the blades I have are good for normal mortar and concrete blocks as struggles on engineering bricks or any other really hard material

B

Brendan

I think dependant on blade can be both but the blades I have are good for normal mortar and concrete blocks as struggles on engineering bricks or any other really hard material
Unless the mortar is super soft, your still probably better off stitch drilling it all out

pettsy

pettsy

I’ve got a blade ive been using in a Milwaukee recip saw. Works well where I’ve used it on mortar so far.

T whiting

T whiting

Unless the mortar is super soft, your still probably better off stitch drilling it all out
Brick remover chisel on a 2 kg sds plus is the best way to get individual bricks out though I could see how a recipe blade would work but the amount of wires I've found fished down cavity's it could be a recipe for disaster

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

If you have a really faffy cut out or chase you can buy diamond blade for multi tool...works pretty well for small neat jobs and easy to control dust compared to grinder.

J

jimbo

Just ordered an ex demo AS170 for raking out and repointing an old mill next month (lime mortar) I've done this sort of work before a few times with the raking blades on 4" grinders so I'll try to give you a fair report on weather it earned its money or not.

doobin

doobin

Just ordered an ex demo AS170 for raking out and repointing an old mill next month (lime mortar) I've done this sort of work before a few times with the raking blades on 4" grinders so I'll try to give you a fair report on weather it earned its money or not.
For lime mortar I’d have said an sds with a scutch chisel might be a good bet. Interested to hear how you get on.