Adhesive for glass replacement

• Thread starter Flying Torquewrench
  • Start date
F

Flying Torquewrench

Any recommendations for window adhesive/sealant on a glass panel in the door of a JCB 8016?

The lower glass is working loose and I would like to reinstall it. I was either considering U-pol Tiger Seal or Dinitrol 500 which is a glazing adhesive.

Many thanks.

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Id probably use Tiger seal without concern, or a good grade Sikaflex that’s designed for structural purposes.
Glazing adhesive is probably the best choice if you’ve got to go and buy it, but if you’ve got Tiger Seal then imo it will be ok, I’d have a guess that there’s little difference in the actual product

GazCro

GazCro

Any recommendations for window adhesive/sealant on a glass panel in the door of a JCB 8016?

The lower glass is working loose and I would like to reinstall it. I was either considering U-pol Tiger Seal or Dinitrol 500 which is a glazing adhesive.

Many thanks.
You may need a primer to put on the door frame first otherwise you'll find glass falling out in short time.

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

You may need a primer to put on the door frame first otherwise you'll find glass falling out in short time.
The primer is usually for the glass, to etch it. If it’s OE glass then it should already be etched. If it’s aftermarket glass then it may not be.
Imo there’s no need to prime the frame. Of course the paint may be coming off the frame, which may be why the glass is coming loose? If so the frame will definitely need cleaning and painting with something decent to stop it rusting and happening again very soon.

GazCro

GazCro

The primer is usually for the glass, to etch it. If it’s OE glass then it should already be etched. If it’s aftermarket glass then it may not be.
Imo there’s no need to prime the frame. Of course the paint may be coming off the frame, which may be why the glass is coming loose? If so the frame will definitely need cleaning and painting with something decent to stop it rusting and happening again very soon.
Seen the black coming off the glass on jcb's plenty.

F

Flying Torquewrench

F

Flying Torquewrench

All products will have to be bought so I rather go for the best product instead of something that will do the job but might not last.

What I do have at home is Bison Poly max in black.

It says that it is suitable for glass so that might not be a bad product either. Used it for a lot of different jobs over the years and always done the job.

R

Rob65

I had exactly the same problem with my 801. I found something called black butyle rubber in cartridges. I think it was in Wickes but it might have been Screwfix.

It took about a week to set but has done a good job.

Rob

tinydigger

tinydigger

making machines look small since 1980
Being a ex apron hand at a airport just use what i used to see the local engineers use a good old roll of speed tape that stuff will hold anything anywhere :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

F

Flying Torquewrench

Removed the glass from the door today. Paint was flaking a bit so the wirewheel had to come out to get it back to bare metal. Primed and painted and the glass can go back in tomorrow.

I noticed that the glass is a flat piece whilst the door has a slight curve. Will check tomorrow if the door fits correctly when fitted otherwise it will have to be bent back into shape. I wonder if that is why the glass became loose in the first place. It is obvious that the glass has been replaced and to follow the shape of the door they used copious amounts of sealant. One would expect that if the glass was meant to be installed on a slight curve in the door that the glass would be curved too. It is an official JCB piece of glass and not something that was laying around in somebody’s garage.

hiluxman

hiluxman

Probably got bent and that resulted in the glass breaking first time round.

Window fitter comes along...im only here to fit glass and they dont wanna pay for time streightening frame or risking more damage doing it so out comes an extra tube of gunge to stick window in place.

GazCro

GazCro

Most door windows get broken when open and doors clipped back. Branch or something gets between door and cab and hey presto bends frame pops glass as above. Door should be flat glass so yeah make frame fit glass.

F

Flying Torquewrench

That sounds reasonable. Had a look at the top pane of glass and it is slightly less obvious but they also used an extra tube of sealant.

Now I have one pane out I might as well remove the other pane, straighten the frame and install them properly. Bit more work but at least everything is as it should be.

F

Flying Torquewrench

In the end I removed both panes of glass, straightened the door frame and reinstalled the glass with Bison Poly Max. Seems to have done the trick.

Thank you all.