Adblue

Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
I've recently purchased another pickup and this uses adblue. I've never had any dealings with it before, so a couple of questions which hopefully you can help with.
Are there good/bad brands, does it matter?
I can buy it cheaper in larger quantities, but does it deteriorate with age?
Anything else I should know?
Thanks
Graham

S

Smiffy

I've recently purchased another pickup and this uses adblue. I've never had any dealings with it before, so a couple of questions which hopefully you can help with.
Are there good/bad brands, does it matter?
I can buy it cheaper in larger quantities, but does it deteriorate with age?
Anything else I should know?
Thanks
Graham
Dont know about quality but
It does deteriorate with age and quicker if in sunlight will last a fair while in a dark place
Its really bad on paintwork be careful filling up not to spill any
And i dont know what brand of pickup you have but seen a lot of reports of one brand having to be topped up as if the low level light comes on they can start throwing tantrums and eventually go into limpmode even if refiled

Mark

Mark

Don’t use anything steel to store or pour it with as it reacts and rusts, can only be plastic or stainless steel products used. Keep it out of sunlight if possible as it extends the life of it. We buy in bulk 1000L ibc at 24p a litre.

B

Brendan

Fords are temperamental with adblue so better to keep the tank topped up regular rather than let it empty as the residue can apparently block the sensor. Ranger apparently only uses an adblue quality sensor and not a float so even if you top it up when empty will still read as empty for a while. At least that what a dealer said to me they did recommend to not use cheap adblue as majority they had issues with were on the cheaper stuff plus when the mileage range gets too low the transit and ranger will not start till topped up.

F

fred

no point buying loads for a pickup. will use a litre every few months tops.

doobin

doobin

My dads motor uses it, he does a fair few miles but only needs ten litres every few months. I just get him it when I order from the local motor factors, seems cheap enough. The empty cans with a funnel on the side make good cans for diesel for my mini diggers.

Grahams

Grahams

It is a ford ranger. Book says (from memory) it will need filling anywhere between 2500 and 7500 miles. Between 125 and 375 miles per litre. So I could be using 280l per year. Seems pretty vague. It says wait for the warning and then it will let me know how far I can go before refilling. Will go into limp mod if runs out and once stopped will not start until topped up. Has a 20 litre tank but no gauge, so difficult to tell when I can get a 10l can in. Didn't fancy having part used cans with the risk of the spout dripping as I had heard it was very corrosive.
I guess I'll get a 10l can (they don't seem to do 15l) and top up as soon as the lght comes on.
Graham

craig

craig

Different suppliers have told me between 12 to 18 months shelf life, if stored correctly.

S

Smiffy

Different suppliers have told me between 12 to 18 months shelf life, if stored correctly.

It will last longer in the right environment and if you are licky but probably best not to chance it and risk damaging sensors

B

Brendan

It is a ford ranger. Book says (from memory) it will need filling anywhere between 2500 and 7500 miles. Between 125 and 375 miles per litre. So I could be using 280l per year. Seems pretty vague. It says wait for the warning and then it will let me know how far I can go before refilling. Will go into limp mod if runs out and once stopped will not start until topped up. Has a 20 litre tank but no gauge, so difficult to tell when I can get a 10l can in. Didn't fancy having part used cans with the risk of the spout dripping as I had heard it was very corrosive.
I guess I'll get a 10l can (they don't seem to do 15l) and top up as soon as the lght comes on.
Graham
Probably best to just add couple of litres whenever the first warning comes up or every 5 or so fuel fill up. My facelift missed out on adblue but I know there has been quite a few complaints with adblue issues although it's probably mostly user error

Simon edwards

Simon edwards

I just top my wildtrak up with 5l every 6 or 700 miles,bit of a bugger there being no gauge as it's a bit of a guessing game really.must admit I did'nt realise the stuff was particularly corrosive though.

Grahams

Grahams

I just top my wildtrak up with 5l every 6 or 700 miles,bit of a bugger there being no gauge as it's a bit of a guessing game really.must admit I did'nt realise the stuff was particularly corrosive though.
Not fitting a tank gauge was very poor in my opinion.
It was supposed to be full when it was delivered, so I’ll run it until the light comes on the first time to see what the useage is like. Then I can hopefully work out how often I will need to top up.
Graham

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Not fitting a tank gauge was very poor in my opinion.
It was supposed to be full when it was delivered, so I’ll run it until the light comes on the first time to see what the useage is like. Then I can hopefully work out how often I will need to top up.
Graham

and you believed 'em Gra :oops: ..... bet the fuel tank wasn't :rolleyes: ..... you are talking 'stealers' here Boyo :(:giggle:

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
no point buying loads for a pickup. will use a litre every few months tops.
Gra is the forum's LDK @fred .....he racks up the mileage like most folk don't :rolleyes::giggle:

B

Brendan

Unless you had a deal with the dealer they only come with a couple of litres or so in

Op_Alx24/7

Op_Alx24/7

Ive got it on the hilux holds about 13 litres and lasts about 10,000 miles and i just fill up using Adblue pumps at service stations, keeps it nice and simple no spills, don't
for godsake spill it on anything

Alex

Edit: The warning should come up on the dash with about 1000miles left then permanent warning light at about 500miles, if tank runs out truck won't start until the minimum amount has been added, if your dealer does the servicing on the mileage they SHOULD fill Adblue with the service so check that too

Edit 2: average Adblue use is 1000 miles to 1 Litre

Grahams

Grahams

i just fill up using Adblue pumps at service stations, keeps it nice and simple no spills,
I'll keep a look out. I've only ever seen it on the truck side on the motorway and the truck diesel nossel won't fit in the ford filler.
Graham

S

Smiffy

I'll keep a look out. I've only ever seen it on the truck side on the motorway and the truck diesel nossel won't fit in the ford filler.
Graham

Amazon among companies sell 5ltr cans with auto shut off nozzles
May be useful to secant larger cans into to stop spillages and allow it to be kept as topped up as and its filled up

wee_gus

wee_gus

I’ve never had any luck at the pumps when trying to fill the car up with adblue, shuts off after like 1p worth and keeps doing this, even filling from a tin is painful

Op_Alx24/7

Op_Alx24/7

Theres a knack to using them have to be pushed all the way in tight to create a seal as such and just remember they are high speed pumps for filling truck tanks a few hundred litres worth