910 caterpillar performance reviews

barracane

barracane

910 caterpillar performance reviews
hi, they brought an old series caterpillar 910 to a local tractor mechanic, I don't remember if F or E the paint is a bit faded.
a municipality was in use at a town hall and was used to clean up the territory from illegal landfills and waste materials. landscape. the bucket has no eye teeth and it is badly treated and worn has some dents and the paint would need to be redone. what can you tell me about this mechanical shovel? strengths defects performance efficiency breakout force and penetration. would it have a good driving force? would have a good boost. could carry out earthmoving work in the countryside such as excavation by spending some money to put it back on track, how to evaluate the real capabilities of the mechanical shovel thank you let me know.

1623736781615.png

S

Steve

I worked for a company that ran a 910 in the late 80s. I don’t remember it ever having any problems it was very reliable & fuel efficient. It had a modified bucket for loading sand bins but break out force wasn’t very good & certainly wouldn’t compare to modern loaders.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
used to fit TIRETRAC tyre protection chains to various CAT loading shovels in 1980, all over the place ... never done one that small though
were a bitch to fit 'til you got the drop on it ..... back then they had something like 13 or 14 different components to knit a chain with ... still got a set of paperwork here somewhere ....... 3D jigsaw .... could do 'em with me eyes shut after a bit of practise

barracane

barracane

it is a machinery from the 80s, however much used and abused, they reclaimed the illegal landfills of aggregates and waste material, they shoveled the mud and debris to restore the roads after the landslides, it belonged to a municipality therefore the operators did not treat it with gloves velvet but with heavy boots. how much could it be worth if still efficient? it has had numerous maintenance interventions for various repairs, the bucket needs to be redone, it is very worn and without teeth, noticeable oil leaks I have not noticed, the engine I do not know s has breathed its last or could still run at a gallop yes he should try under crooked, if he can push to lift, if he still has enough driving force to climb, if he has the strength to penetrate and tear the ground. thanks anyway.

https://youtu.be/ZgbXp4HmAdY

V8Druid

V8Druid

it is a machinery from the 80s, however much used and abused, they reclaimed the illegal landfills of aggregates and waste material, they shoveled the mud and debris to restore the roads after the landslides, it belonged to a municipality therefore the operators did not treat it with gloves velvet but with heavy boots. how much could it be worth if still efficient? it has had numerous maintenance interventions for various repairs, the bucket needs to be redone, it is very worn and without teeth, noticeable oil leaks I have not noticed, the engine I do not know s has breathed its last or could still run at a gallop yes he should try under crooked, if he can push to lift, if he still has enough driving force to climb, if he has the strength to penetrate and tear the ground. thanks anyway.

https://youtu.be/ZgbXp4HmAdY

those old cat loading shovels were properly made back then .... built to be abused 24/7

S

Smiffy

those old cat loading shovels were properly made back then .... built to be abused 24/7

My old boss had one back in the day for buckraking silage, he wore it out at I think 15000 hours
It had a hydrostatic or hydraulic drive that was so worn it had to be towed to its final resting place.
It was followed by an it12f which was apparently far superior with many machines doing in excess of 30000 hours.
The it12f was on 14000 hours when I left and was still a lovely machine to drive but had been impeccably maintained

V8Druid

V8Druid

My old boss had one back in the day for buckraking silage, he wore it out at I think 15000 hours
It had a hydrostatic or hydraulic drive that was so worn it had to be towed to its final resting place.
It was followed by an it12f which was apparently far superior with many machines doing in excess of 30000 hours.
The it12f was on 14000 hours when I left and was still a lovely machine to drive but had been impeccably maintained
I fitted new chains to 966s in 1980, with over 25k hrs .... well maintained they just go on and on

biggest set i ever fitted were on a 998 up in Ogdens in Otley ... 'twas a beast of a thing ... chains were almost 3t each on special 'slick' tyres ..... somewhere i have some pix of it, but paper and buried in the attic

V8Druid

V8Druid

know this fella from maskinisten .... a very clever engineer and should see what he gets up to with a Lannen ...... he's a very good read
Proper digger dolley :giggle::giggle:

S

Smiffy

I fitted new chains to 966s in 1980, with over 25k hrs .... well maintained they just go on and on

biggest set i ever fitted were on a 998 up in Ogdens in Otley ... 'twas a beast of a thing ... chains were almost 3t each on special 'slick' tyres ..... somewhere i have some pix of it, but paper and buried in the attic

Those big machines I would of thought would be capable of many more hours too
It's just amazing to see it on such compatibly small machines.
The it12f would fit in the 988's bucket
The equivalent JCB of the time is pretty well worn out at 12000 hours and tbh a horrible machine to drive with the cab on the wrong part of the machine. Makes them very clumsy

V8Druid

V8Druid

Those big machines I would of thought would be capable of many more hours too
It's just amazing to see it on such compatibly small machines.
The it12f would fit in the 988's bucket
The equivalent JCB of the time is pretty well worn out at 12000 hours and tbh a horrible machine to drive with the cab on the wrong part of the machine. Makes them very clumsy
the 88s were toys compared to the 98s
1623874922590.png

can't find a pic of a 998 to give any scale .. as said, they were some chains

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

know this fella from maskinisten .... a very clever engineer and should see what he gets up to with a Lannen ...... he's a very good read
Proper digger dolley :giggle::giggle:
That...is clever...think you'd need to plan your route tho 😳

barracane

barracane

need sharpen ingenuity shoe big brain up, sorry if I put the video of the creative trailer pulled by the truck, it was too hilarious, going back to the mechanical shovel you believe it can still be used, that it has not been squeezed like a lemon. thanks I will carefully evaluate your opinions and your advice thanks.