7 Tonner thumb suggestions

honey_badger

honey_badger

Hi all,

Looking to get a thumb on our jz70. I've toyed with the idea of making one a bit, but thought its best to check whats out there first.
The thing is, the machine isn't piped, and I'd like a hydrualic thumb. I've thought of piping it off the blade circuit with a diverter, but it doesn't like like it'll be especially easy or cheap.
So I was wondering if anyone knows of a thumb that could be purchased as a manual unit and then changed to hydraulic further down the line if i wished?
Ideally i'd like one that pivots off the pin in the bottom of the dipper, but its not a requirement, i just like the idea of the geometry from that setup.
Any suggestions or ideas welcome. (Even if its 'go hydraulic you won't regret it') - I've never used a manual or a hydraulic thumb so I can't say I have any idea on how much difference it actually makes.

Cheers, Tom

doobin

doobin

With your skills the change to hydraulic should be easy, but you may well have to change the mount point on both the dipper to get the geometry right so that there is no grounding out on the ram with it in the open or close position. Therefore, I'd be inclined to mount with a hydraulic ram to start with (blank the ports off for now).

Easiest place to get the flow from would be the bucket ram, via an electrical 6x2 divertor. Hold a switch down and the joystick will do the thumb instead.

And a curveball- I've never used a thumb but they look s**t for everything except dealing with large rocks whilst trenching. Get a grapple instead? No hydraulics needed (although a hydraulic backstack for them is a great upgrade)

Thomas7740

Thomas7740

I agree with @doobin , thumbs look s**t, haven't used would but would rather have a grapple

doobin

doobin

Yall crazy! Just like the one on your hand, a thumb is always there and can do almost anything if your smart enough.
Can't take that from a Yank. You guys don't even know what sideshift is yet :LOL:

I'd have one if I didn't have a grab- anything is better than chasing stuff around with a bucket. But for any amount of material handling greater than the aforementioned big rock in a trench? I'll take the grapple to site.

Giles

Giles

They are handy but I’m looking to take mine off and get a grab instead, get in way when trenching and added weight on all the time but has been useful vs bucket but not as good as a grapple or proper grab

Attachments

• 571593DC-FD3D-4327-B829-B633FCC4543E.jpeg
    571593DC-FD3D-4327-B829-B633FCC4543E.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 233
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I'm with @doobin on the oil supply ... be rare you'd want to operate the bucket and thumb together ...... would be inclined to fit a pilot op. check valve to the extend port on the thumb ram though to stop you squeezing the oil back out of it, loading the diverter and plumbing

Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
I made one for a mate of mine but is about 16” wide on a 3 tonner mounted on the bucket dipper pin well quick hitch (the only way to do it really) he uses it all the time, ‘best thing I’ve ever done for him‘ he says🤔😂 even toying with the idea on the Komogsu (I do like that name) @Monkeybusiness

Giles

Giles

I’ve an unused manual dig bits one, only bit is cut the stead arm mount bit off to mount the hydraulic one, would sell it and great starting point to make hydraulic one. Will get pic tomorrow

Storrsy

Storrsy

Ok I’ll buck the trend here- I love thumbs. Ok if I was stacking timber I’d want a rotating grab. But I do everything with a thumb- When you get creative with them the sky’s your limit!
I really rate the RSL design. It’s the same width as the dipper so it never gets in the way of trenches. Also the narrow design prevents a twisting force on one side of the grab. I have 2x RSL ones. The latest one I got them to make it out of hardox as I’m handling granite boulders pretty much day in day out.
I guess it depends what your going to do with your machine- but I think the versatility and ease of use/convenience working with the bucket pretty hard to beat.

this is the one on my 3 tonner.
The last photo is a stone face bank I rebuilt the other day. The thumb allowed me to pretty much build it without getting out the cab other than to check batter. Normally with the old grab I had it would require constantly changing between grab and bucket (to back fill and dig rocks out)

Attachments

• 00EBB681-1F08-4340-9559-0CE4B1315D89.jpeg
    00EBB681-1F08-4340-9559-0CE4B1315D89.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 189
  • 07E83023-885B-429B-809E-65D7ADAE6A09.jpeg
    07E83023-885B-429B-809E-65D7ADAE6A09.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 7AD2B88C-D57F-4E26-8A15-4AC36C7ABEB0.jpeg
    7AD2B88C-D57F-4E26-8A15-4AC36C7ABEB0.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 64EECB67-BEA3-47B4-BC1C-D0A49F15FC5D.jpeg
    64EECB67-BEA3-47B4-BC1C-D0A49F15FC5D.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 0F8C0017-C8DA-4CCA-AFE6-007AA86B53B5.jpeg
    0F8C0017-C8DA-4CCA-AFE6-007AA86B53B5.jpeg
    296.8 KB · Views: 171
  • C29D148A-A0C6-409F-AF5C-D4E334927E75.jpeg
    C29D148A-A0C6-409F-AF5C-D4E334927E75.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 176
Hg2702

Hg2702

I love my intermecanno grab but equally love a thumb looked long and hard at the factory fit option

M

Monkeybusiness

Ok I’ll buck the trend here- I love thumbs. Ok if I was stacking timber I’d want a rotating grab. But I do everything with a thumb- When you get creative with them the sky’s your limit!
I really rate the RSL design. It’s the same width as the dipper so it never gets in the way of trenches. Also the narrow design prevents a twisting force on one side of the grab. I have 2x RSL ones. The latest one I got them to make it out of hardox as I’m handling granite boulders pretty much day in day out.
I guess it depends what your going to do with your machine- but I think the versatility and ease of use/convenience working with the bucket pretty hard to beat.

The last photo is a stone face bank I rebuilt the other day. The thumb allowed me to pretty much build it without getting out the cab other than to check batter. Normally with the old grab I had it would require constantly changing between grab and bucket (to back fill and dig rocks out)
Are you a wizard or something? That wall is great!!!

doobin

doobin

My thoughts too, and all with a thumb👍
Just think what he could do with a rotating grab! o_O Could probably stick the ceramic tiles to the space shuttle! :ROFLMAO:

I have often thought about making a thumb, but I'd make it like my grab, with interchangeable attachments. So you could have a wide one to work with the rake for clearing brash, a two prong one to work with the ripper when clearing stumps, etc.

And I'd treat it like my grab- take it if I needed it for a job, but not all the time.

I still think for most people a grapple will be better than a generic thumb.

Last edited:
K

Keif

Just think what he could do with a rotating grab! o_O Could probably stick the ceramic tiles to the space shuttle! :ROFLMAO:

I have often thought about making a thumb, but I'd make it like my grab, with interchangeable attachments. So you could have a wide one to work with the rake for clearing brash, a two prong one to work with the ripper when clearing stumps, etc.

And I'd treat it like my grab- take it if I needed it for a job, but not all the time.

I still think for most people a grapple will be better than a generic thumb.
Maybe my problem is I haven't the machine without the thumb to see how much lighter the it feels out there...but I think if you used one you'd like it and change your mind. It's funny how you talk alotta crap about something you've never used😅

honey_badger

honey_badger

Thanks for all the great responses, interesting to hear what people think.
I like the look of a rotating grab, but thats out of budget by a bit, and also doesn't seem quite as convinient for just the odd job or thing in the way as a thumb does.

Easiest place to get the flow from would be the bucket ram, via an electrical 6x2 divertor. Hold a switch down and the joystick will do the thumb instead.
I've never actually seen a 6x2 divertor, so I've got no idea how much space they take up ect but I was sort of planning to try and mount one in the back of the digger somewhere and run it off blade, but then I'd have to pipe the boom ect. Are you suggesting mounting one on the dipper somewhere? would one fit and be clean enough not to catch things if boxed in?

Brilliant looking work mate.
What do you make of the geometry of the thumb having a seperate pivot point? Does the end follow the bucket round well? or do you end up with missalignments? The RSL ones do look nice becuase of how thin they are, hence less weight and less in the way, but does the thinness not provide a disadvantage sometimes in reduced surface area, or for grabbing brash?

The guys at bucket warehouse have quite a nice looking thumb ( https://www.bucketwarehouse.com/hydraulic-excavator-thumb-704-p.asp ) and I was thinking to get the manual one and adapt to the hydraulic one later down the line, as they seem like the same thumb unit. I've no problem with cutting off the fixed brackets and welding some brackets on for a ram later down the line.
I still do like the look of one that pivots from the pin in the bottom of the dipper instead of a seperate pin though, I think they just look like a much tidier and better thought out setup.

V8Druid

V8Druid

I've never actually seen a 6x2 divertor, so I've got no idea how much space they take up ect

1614086542760.png

these can also be 'ganged' to give you yet another extra service from the same supply
1614086626594.png

Flowfit Hydraulic 6 Way Solenoid Diverters, Max Flow 80L/MIN | eBay

can't find this model on their website...only their ebay listings

worth noting that the 6x2s need a case drain line for any body leakage ... leakage without a free to tank line will prevent the shuttles from operating in the valve

Giles

Giles

Got this never been used just stole the pin holder for the hydraulic thumb I bought of Polishbuilt

Attachments

• 7B3103BB-1A0F-4D35-A2C3-CF6BA98E58CC.jpeg
    7B3103BB-1A0F-4D35-A2C3-CF6BA98E58CC.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 111
  • A8642D41-0C10-4FE4-8999-2FC87D7D160A.jpeg
    A8642D41-0C10-4FE4-8999-2FC87D7D160A.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 37B60006-6F14-452F-9C99-6B43C8FC9984.jpeg
    37B60006-6F14-452F-9C99-6B43C8FC9984.jpeg
    416.2 KB · Views: 96
  • AA7A602A-168F-479C-9D19-DC53E847DF64.jpeg
    AA7A602A-168F-479C-9D19-DC53E847DF64.jpeg
    384 KB · Views: 119
  • D52BB461-ED0A-4D61-82C1-8C618DDE8949.jpeg
    D52BB461-ED0A-4D61-82C1-8C618DDE8949.jpeg
    421.9 KB · Views: 118
craig

craig

worth noting that the 6x2s need a case drain line for any body leakage ... leakage without a free to tank line will prevent the shuttles from operating in the valve
Flowfit do this one now that says `internally drained` so guessing no case drain needed.
Flowfit 6 Way Hydraulic Solenoid Diverter, 3/8"" BSP Port Size, 12V DC, 50 L/Min Flows, Internal Drained | Solenoid Diverter Valves | Solenoid Spool Diverter Valves (flowfitonline.com)
Was thinking of getting one for a rotator on my timber grab, mounted on the hitch bracket, no case drain appealed.

V8Druid

V8Druid

Flowfit do this one now that says `internally drained` so guessing no case drain needed.
Flowfit 6 Way Hydraulic Solenoid Diverter, 3/8"" BSP Port Size, 12V DC, 50 L/Min Flows, Internal Drained | Solenoid Diverter Valves | Solenoid Spool Diverter Valves (flowfitonline.com)
Was thinking of getting one for a rotator on my timber grab, mounted on the hitch bracket, no case drain appealed.
sweet and ideal for that .....
stackable up to five valves too :cool: to give you 6 additional individual services from one supply ....
not seen those before on their site .. but it is a nightmare of a site to navigate :cry: