2015 2.2 Ford ranger limited

Big Jordy

Big Jordy

Well went and bought a 2015 Ford ranger limited with the 2.2 engine 150hp done my homework before I bought know about the oil pump problem. Thought I’d ask on here if anyone can recommend an oil pump for them as there are a lot of different oil pumps available, believe it’s the same pump In the 2.2 and 3.2? Not 100 on that by the way. I’m changing the oil pump and generally giving it a good check over. So all opinon or advice welcome or any other tips advice. I’ll put my hard hat on now awaiting the response 😂🪖

jordy

S

Smiffy

Well went and bought a 2015 Ford ranger limited with the 2.2 engine 150hp done my homework before I bought know about the oil pump problem. Thought I’d ask on here if anyone can recommend an oil pump for them as there are a lot of different oil pumps available, believe it’s the same pump In the 2.2 and 3.2? Not 100 on that by the way. I’m changing the oil pump and generally giving it a good check over. So all opinon or advice welcome or any other tips advice. I’ll put my hard hat on now awaiting the response 😂🪖

jordy

Join the Ford ranger pages on Facebook
Once you filter out the usual idiots there is a wealth of really useful information

Big Jordy

Big Jordy

I must get the
Join the Ford ranger pages on Facebook
Once you filter out the usual idiots there is a wealth of really useful information
I must get the missus to join it as I’m not on Facebook but I’ll get a look at it.. thanks smiffy 👍

craig

craig

If it`s the same set up as the 3.2, when changing the oil, drop the oil and refill it within 10 minutes (I think they say), don`t leave it draining for a long time thinking your doing it a favor getting rid of all the old oil, as with no oil in the sump the pump drains down, and will need priming before it will pick up oil again.
I don`t know what the official ford way is, but one I`ve heard of is to over fill the engine with oil and leave for 24 hours, with the filter removed lightly pressurize the engine until you see oil coming up into the filter 😲 refit filter and try and start the engine and see it the light goes out, then drain the excess oil off.
I would guess a new pump would need priming somehow.

S

Smiffy

If it`s the same set up as the 3.2, when changing the oil, drop the oil and refill it within 10 minutes (I think they say), don`t leave it draining for a long time thinking your doing it a favor getting rid of all the old oil, as with no oil in the sump the pump drains down, and will need priming before it will pick up oil again.
I don`t know what the official ford way is, but one I`ve heard of is to over fill the engine with oil and leave for 24 hours, with the filter removed lightly pressurize the engine until you see oil coming up into the filter 😲 refit filter and try and start the engine and see it the light goes out, then drain the excess oil off.
I would guess a new pump would need priming somehow.

The replacement pumps are traditional geared pumps so are self priming whereas the ones fitted are vane type which is what is causing the problems

B

Brendan

Issue with the oe pump is the lack of self priming. Oil changes should be quick and not let to fully drain out.

To be honest I let in n out garages do my oil changes sub £90 let them know of the service bulletin and they take the liability of borking the engine if they mess up. Plus at 10l of oil there is not a great deal of a saving doing myself- which I can't do as can't decant the oil out of my 5l tubs fast enough.

If you refit a new ford pump they are all the same part number and I think the last revision was 2014 ish

B

Brendan

If you do the pump, you might want to change the sump as have heard of quite a few rusting out.

Also if not done it could be worthwhile contacting ford for chassis rust as they are sorting a lot of them out

Last edited:
craig

craig

If you do the pump, you might want to cha he the sump as have heard of quite a few rusting out.

Also if not done it could be worthwhile contacting ford for chassis rust as they are sorting a lot of them out
The chrome rear bumper on mine has started to rust around the reverse sensors, ford said they dont cover the chrome bits :(

B

Brendan

The chrome rear bumper on mine has started to rust around the reverse sensors, ford said they dont cover the chrome bits :(
They won't cover the superficial bits, but the chassis are bad, mine is apparently going in again bit this time to be stripped down, shot blasted and redone.

It was rubbed down and sprayed as the original "fix" which failed in places and was redone a few months later and less than two years later is failing again but that doesn't include all the bits that were never touched in the first place as it was only a spray over of what could be see

S

Smiffy

They won't cover the superficial bits, but the chassis are bad, mine is apparently going in again bit this time to be stripped down, shot blasted and redone.

It was rubbed down and sprayed as the original "fix" which failed in places and was redone a few months later and less than two years later is failing again but that doesn't include all the bits that were never touched in the first place as it was only a spray over of what could be see

Saw on Facebook the other day a brand new Hilux being stripped down and chassis galvanized before even going to work

B

Brendan

Saw on Facebook the other day a brand new Hilux being stripped down and chassis galvanized before even going to work
Yeah it's crazy, none of the pickups I have seen have escaped it, amarok has similar.

Seen my dad's 2016 transit tipper and near enough zero on the chassis (painted white from factory) and the tipper body has quite a few bits of ginger

Big Jordy

Big Jordy

Thanks for all the reply’s lads so they are now using a geared oil pump? Instead of the vane one? Never heard that to be honest but I think I’ll contact Ford on the off chance that they might do something for me. Only 50k on the one I bought so rather be safe than sorry and for the chassis one mines isn’t that bad scoured over it before buying I’m a bit of a chassis nut so all’s good there.

jordy

craig

craig

That`s interesting, i`ve seen a couple with fresh paint on the chassis, I just assumed the owners had done it themselves.
I`ll have to speak to the dealer, I was thinking about painting mine soon, as the paint is poor.

B

Brendan

Thanks for all the reply’s lads so they are now using a geared oil pump? Instead of the vane one? Never heard that to be honest but I think I’ll contact Ford on the off chance that they might do something for me. Only 50k on the one I bought so rather be safe than sorry and for the chassis one mines isn’t that bad scoured over it before buying I’m a bit of a chassis nut so all’s good there.

jordy
Superceded part number is still a variable rate vane pump

S

Smiffy

jordy

The replacement geared one isn't a Ford part number
However at owners requests I believe Ford are sourcing and fitting them
And many independent garages are fitting them
All the info is on the FB groups

GazCro

GazCro

They have a badge warranty mind (superficial bit)