1989 JCB 3cx

Exmayor

Exmayor

12 months ago I ended up with this, I will post a fair few pictures over the next few weeks of the work I/Allelys have done to the machine as it was shot to bits really. I actually sold it a couple of weeks ago and while I lost a bit it taught me a lot about hydraulics and general maintenance
019.jpg
020.jpg
141.jpg

K

Komatsu

That’s a shame you had to off load it Diaz, looked like a good project

Exmayor

Exmayor

I brought the 3cx in November last year, what I should of done is walk away from it but having travelled to Somerset with Allelys Truck I decided to still have it god knows why but I did, the cab was held together by sheer luck and good will. Got it back and steam cleaned her off which made the situation worse because it highlighted how bad the cab was see pictures below
new new 107.jpg
new new 146.jpg
new 026.jpg
059 (2).jpg
060 (2).jpg

Jimbo69

Jimbo69

My uncle had one on the farm, think it was D reg. Was ex Orkney council so was pretty rotten, back end was slack as f*** but one thing it could do was push. Must’ve changed every single hose on it, some of them twice! Sold it for a 57 plate contractor a few years ago. Get a bit more production now!

T

topkit

Would be interested to see the pics, i have had a couple of earlier project 6 nd 7 3cx"s and the grey cabs do suffer with rot especially along the bottoms of the doors and the corners of the side windows behind the doors. The rear wheel splash guards rot out too, isuppose a lot of it depends on what it has done and how it has been looked after by the operator or owner. They get a lot of abuse in there working life and nowadays when you go to look at one to buy you will find most ( not all) people will not have regularly serviced them as they dont get lots of use they get used for a day here and there then parked up for a few weeks.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
what you need's a nice black cab one Daz :) .... not such a lot to rot on them ;)

1535208687062.png

WP_20180821_19_44_46_Pro.jpg

V8Druid

V8Druid

Yes made by Jcb and not farmed out like the grey cab were, just need to be careful that the wind doesn’t catch the door else all your left with is the handle:(

Aye .... don't i know it:rolleyes: .... my left door is a polycarb jobbie, to keep the weather out .... have so far failed to find me a new glass one :( ... won't break the bugger in a hurry though :giggle:

Exmayor

Exmayor

Yes made by Jcb and not farmed out like the grey cab were, just need to be careful that the wind doesn’t catch the door else all your left with is the handle :(
Yes Paul the black cab was made in house by Jcb and had a form of rust proofing the grey cab and it was either Julian Carder or Christopher Mchloughlin who told me were made by a company named Airstream and there was no rust prevention at all they just rot from the inside out to find a good grey cab is like the holly grail, the machine below is a rare find and Matthew was lucky as she is in very good condition
121.png
122.png

Exmayor

Exmayor

When I steam cleaned the machine back at Allelys the extent of the rot became apparent and I had not realized it was a bad as it was. The cross section is from the side window and shows the rotting from the inside out, the side window is not made up of that 1 extrusion but 3 different sizes

143.jpg
105.jpg
107.jpg

Attachments

• 109.jpg
    109.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 289
V8Druid

V8Druid

Hydremaduck

Hydremaduck

....... and while I lost a bit it taught me a lot about hydraulics and general maintenance

And not to trust any bugger to tell you the truth however well someone else says they know them ;)
Interesting info about why the different cabs last or rot. I had no idea it was due to "outsourcing"

Exmayor

Exmayor

And not to trust any bugger to tell you the truth however well someone else says they know them ;)
Interesting info about why the different cabs last or rot. I had no idea it was due to "outsourcing"
Rob the cabs were extremely well made but to not dip them or waxoil them from new is ridiculous but back in 89 perhaps it was not deemed a consideration

Exmayor

Exmayor

1 of the 1st jobs to do was sort out the leg ram as it couldn't be used other wise a gallon of oil would come out each time, took it off and after guidance from Pete Allely and Nick Heath I replaced the seals with a new set 1st time I had done it and it taught me a lot.

Last edited:
Exmayor

Exmayor

we will try that again

Attachments

• 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 264
  • 047.jpg
    047.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 250
  • 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 267
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 312
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 299
Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
Did it have a dowel under one of the ware sleeves, as most JCB rams do as I found to my cost about 30 years ago:eek: had a hell of a job getting that one off after I had managed to turn it a quarter of a turn before I found it and totalled the threads😭😭

CPS

CPS

Did it have a dowel under one of the ware sleeves, as most JCB rams do as I found to my cost about 30 years ago:eek: had a hell of a job getting that one off after I had managed to turn it a quarter of a turn before I found it and totalled the threads😭😭
Yep been there too! :mad::mad::sick:

Exmayor

Exmayor

Another of the jobs that needed doing was to tidy up the wiring around the starter and battery as it was lethal it had all deteriorated, chased back to where it was ok and new was let in. Also she would drive in forward but not reverse and this was the shuttle lever at fault a new 1 was put on and also the wiring redone around the solenoid and back through the floor up the steering columm to the switch

Attachments

• new 096.jpg
    new 096.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 300
  • 295.jpg
    295.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 266
  • 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 297
Exmayor

Exmayor

The back arm had the usual play in the rack and pinion slew pot but otherwise wasn't to bad really, the wear strips in the extradig had long since vanished and being the later version ie 4 decent pinch bolts down each side model of dipper I decided to change/refurb that as well and what a difference that made. All the work I have done to the 3cx has been at Allelys using there tools, 100 ton overhead cranes and electricity (y)

Attachments

• 112.jpg
    112.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 254
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 250
  • 113.jpg
    113.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 250
  • 114.jpg
    114.jpg